• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ever been hit by a car?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
doored 3 times. Hit by car that passed me and turned in front of me....rolled over hood. Hit a parked car (don't ask), wiped out back window....rode home with only a couple of minor cuts. Not really hurt in any accidents.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I rode into the back of a parked ute once whilst I was looking down on something on my bike. I wasn't going that fast (about 15km/h), and I was just glad that nobody was around to see it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nearly, wasn't my fault as my options were to go into the windscreen of the car or go in to a road sign so I choose the road sign and cut my hands up badly. In Aus, drivers have so little respect for cyclists. Most of the cyclists drive and ride so have a better understanding.

I have also fallen off my bike and gone into a parked car when there was a slight bend in the road. I was thinking that i was actually FC at that moment trying to go too hard and fast not actually focusing.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I was side swiped by a car while riding home from work one day. A guy passed me real slow by trying to squeeze around me while staying in my lane and then he cut back over too early. The back door and trunk of his car pushed me off my bike more than hit me. Knocked me to the ground, I slid a few feet, got up and started yelling. He pulled over and got out of his car. He was about 90 years old and carrying an oxygen tank, and I felt kind of bad for yelling and calmed down. He apologized, and his insurance fixed my bike and bought me a new helmet. I had a few bruises and some little holes in my leg where my big chainring had poked my calf when I landed, but was fine other than that. I learned the importance of taking the lane and riding like I own that lane when riding in traffic with multiple lanes, rather than hugging the curb and hoping people pass with enough room.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
wow crazy thread, lots of similar experiences , .......doored at least 3 times, 1 time totaled me Derosa king, man i loved that bike , it was so kool.........
t-boned and rolled over hood, been there, no fun, but im smiling now.
bumped by a-holes driving who keep telling me i dont have the right to be on the road , oh i almost forgot..............had a tv, yes a tv thrown at me out of a truck by a couple of , well lets just say gentlemen of the redish neck persuasion, they missed , i think they may have been surprised by who fast i was able to ride the heck out of there, i was thinking they may want to run me over next, haha, its tuff out there, numerous confrontations , way to many to list, people just dont think you should be there or cant quite grasp how fast you are able to travel..........buena fortuna to all of us, keep coming home in one piece....:)

got hit when i was running. i was in the crosswalk and looked right at the driver as he saw me and then drove right into me. i rolled across the hood, yelled some profanities, but then kept running.
a car took me out on the way to a sunday ride. that was a bit more intense.
i heard a car from my left rear approach. it then passed me and and made a right turn into the parking lot to my right. i managed to get my left hand out and put it on the car. the sheer force launched me and bike and i landed on my back, in the parking lot. the plus side of that was massage 3 times a week for
a year.the driver had insurance, same company as mine. so that part was smooth. no broken bones. i got those racing. ICU oh, yeah.
be careful out there.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
got hit when i was running. i was in the crosswalk and looked right at the driver as he saw me and then drove right into me. i rolled across the hood, yelled some profanities, but then kept running.
a car took me out on the way to a sunday ride. that was a bit more intense.
i heard a car from my left rear approach. it then passed me and and made a right turn into the parking lot to my right. i managed to get my left hand out and put it on the car. the sheer force launched me and bike and i landed on my back, in the parking lot. the plus side of that was massage 3 times a week for
a year.the driver had insurance, same company as mine. so that part was smooth. no broken bones. i got those racing. ICU oh, yeah.
be careful out there.

Yep, that's exactly the move I was talking about:mad: Damned hard to defend against

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
I've done that... twice... both times when I was incredibly tired coming home from a long ride, kinda slipped into a nap... next thing, bam, hit a car...

I hit a parked boat...seriously. Due completely to my own stupidity :eek:. Had just pulled the bike off the stand and was doing some "on the bike" adjustments of the rear-d...translated into me staring at the rear cog while riding down the road, wondering why I was still off a hair on the 11t and WHAM into a parked ski boat on a trailer. Learned a good lesson that day :D

---

On the serious side, been buzzed a few times, no actual hits. Worst was when I was forced of the road and shoulder by a lorry (don't think it was malicious), and hit very soft gravel/sand. Back in the day so I was riding toe clips with straps, so the bike "stayed" with me all the way to the ground...

A good friend of mine, who runs a shop in 'bama, got punted by a side mirror as the driver passed too close at about 50 MPH. He came out of it okay, minor damage to him, bike totaled though. She had no insurance and dodged out of it so he never recovered any of the damages. Funny part of that story was him walking around for 20-30 minutes with his left *** check hanging out of his now defunkt bibs...nobody said a thing until his wife showed up :D

twice

1. rear ended while pulling up at a red light. got shunted forward about a metre, much to the annoyance of the muppet driving the van.

2. riding past a T-junction with the guy pulling out of the side street and T-boning me. (I was on the left and he came from my right - in London - he crossed one and a half lanes to hit me!)
Direct impact on my knee that slid me upright into the gutter, across the footpath and into a wall. Bike okay - scratched and needed the wheels retrued. Me - off to hospital with a f*cked medial ligament and some lower back damage (and some road rash, or is that footpath rash). Driver stopped, claimed he never saw me...

[edit] plenty of near misses - have been developing a bit of a 'sixth sense' about stupid motorists and seem to be able to pick the non-indicating muppets that will turn down the side street...
predicting pedestrians is a different story...

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Been riding for about 2 years and I've been pretty fortunate so far - a close call here or there that were probably just as much my fault as they were of the motorist.

One time, however, I did blow through a stop sign like a total idiot. I actually got pulled over by a police officer because of it. He made it pretty clear he was a fellow cyclist and told me to knock that kind of stuff off for good. At first I thought he was just being an ***, but looking back on it that was one of the most important things that's happened to me so far as a cyclist - and luckily, it happened when I was young (16 or so). I was sort of shook up over the whole encounter and definitely have more respect for traffic.

Eh, sort of a tale of personal growth. Makes me feel awfully dumb looking back on it.

Also - first post.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How about you?

Not yet been hit, but had my worst crash ever (cracking some vertibrae in my neck) avoiding a head-on collision with an on-coming car. Lesson learned: If you're ever descending a hill into a left-hand blind corner, don't cut the corner thinking "there are never any cars on this road." I figure I learned a valuable lesson, pretty cheaply.

Dave

I was hit by a car when I was a teenager. This happened in my home Country, Colombia, in one of those famous "Ciclovias". I was coming down from a mountain ride into the city streets. I had green light and the car just went on red light. He just didn't feel like red lights applied for bycicle riders.:mad:

Nothing happend. just broke my seatpost and damaged the front wheel.

Not a car, but by a garbage truck, on leary Way in Seattle commuting home. The driver failed to properly secure the chain that locks the loading bucket in the rear of the truck, and it swung out and caught the back of my helmet and launched me over two cars and into som,e grass filled with gravel, and I was pulling gravel bits out of my **** for a few hours afterwards. No, he didn't stop, and no one stopped him.

No hits with cars by me. Guess I am lucky that I live in the Netherlands where all drivers are used to cyclists doing strange tricks on the road.

Had a (head to head) collision with another cyclist though, was the third in a row and the other guy was panicking because he wasn't paying attention, while I was just following my mates. Some scratches, nothing really serious, although my helmet was totaled. Was a budget helmet though, now I have much better quality.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've been hit by a bus and an ice cream van - beat that.

(Neither heavy crashes, more being knocked off while being cut-up, although had I not slammed on the breaks for the bus it could have been really nasty)

head to head

Arnout said:
Had a (head to head) collision with another cyclist though,

Well that happened to me also once in Oruro, Bolivia. I was riding with my newfound cycling friends in the city ( I had just arrived a few days earlier), nice and easy, when another cyclist ran into me. There was a big sound as his forehead banged against mine. I was pretty much OK, didn't fall, but the other guy tumbled to the ground and it took him 30 sec to understand where he was. Guess it must be true what they say about us Bretons being hard-headed. My "opponent" really got a big chewing from my Bolivian friends : he was going against traffic near a confusing intersection. That was 1966!

Coming back to topic of mishaps with cars.

1) ran into a parked car during my 5th bicycle race, a shame, I was doing so much better than in the first 4 races. Knocked out unconscious, stitches, a few little scars as reminder (1958).

2) a car coming out of its parking slot in the street crushed my rear wheel . Driver had plenty of space, I was standing near the curb, in the street, (in front of the bike shop where we gathered before rides), ready to go, straddling my bike a couple of meters ahead of the idiot while waiting for the other cyclists of my little group (1961 or 62).

3) Very narrow road in a forest on a Sunday. This family stops the car as I am approaching, I see them all get out to look at the spring flowers. One woman decides to go back in the car in the back, left side. As there is just enough space to ride by the car on the left, but not quite enough on the right, i choose the left. She slams the door shut, then just as I get at the height of the door, she reopens it. My handlebar gets caught, I swing down and my right collar bone hits the edge of the door with just enough force to break it (the collarbone, not the door). Clean break though : i was driving my car a few days later and riding my bike after 4-5 weeks.(1990) After hitting the door I fell down a 3-4 feet deep ditch, but it was very soft as we had had so much rain, no additional injury.

Most close calls I have forgotten, (except for one in a race that is still so vivid in my mind, don't know how I avoided that car, they have a special name for that type of jerk reaction), same with instances of leaning on car sides to keep balance when squeezed in narrow roads or streets.

I have been lucky with cars, not so much with one cat and one rotweiler.

TRENDING THREADS