• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Look, i don’t know what your obsession with Kruijswijk is all of a sudden, but constantly suggesting he is some kind of missing ingredient to TJV domination (while completely ignoring all the counter arguments that are presented to you) is getting a bit annoying. Kruijswijk is a diesel, he has always been a diesel and he is not putting anyone under pressure, let alone Pogacar. Not on his best day, even less now or next year. I have yet to see Kruijswijk doing anything else other than following wheels up the climb…

But Crushweak can take some of the bad luck and crashes away from Roglic so that should even it out.

Look, i don’t know what your obsession with Kruijswijk is all of a sudden, but constantly suggesting he is some kind of missing ingredient to TJV domination (while completely ignoring all the counter arguments that are presented to you) is getting a bit annoying. Kruijswijk is a diesel, he has always been a diesel and he is not putting anyone under pressure, let alone Pogacar. Not on his best day, even less now or next year. I have yet to see Kruijswijk doing anything else other than following wheels up the climb…
Does putting nearly 5 minutes into Nibali (the eventual winner) before crashing into a snow bank at the 2016 Giro not count? He's never been able to reach that level at any other time though, so you're mostly right.

Does putting nearly 5 minutes into Nibali (the eventual winner) before crashing into a snow bank at the 2016 Giro not count? He's never been able to reach that level at any other time though, so you're mostly right.
He did have some initiative that Giro, didn’t he? But yeah, in terms of successfully attacking the group of favourites, it’s definitely an outlier performance - he is old enough we can safely claim that…

Reactions: Pirazziattacks
"It’s ***," Primož Roglič said before stage 5 of the Vuelta. "Obviously we had some nice results with [Hauptman] especially at the end," he said, referring to the Olympics. "But hopefully we can find a solution to replace him."

"It’s ***," Primož Roglič said before stage 5 of the Vuelta. "Obviously we had some nice results with [Hauptman] especially at the end," he said, referring to the Olympics. "But hopefully we can find a solution to replace him."

curious how they are going to solve this. European and World championships are within a few weeks :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I do hope he doesn’t regret not acting sooner. There’s quite a crowd in GC standings ATM - a lot of potential for ambush…
That's only because there haven't been any big mountain stages yet. The crowds will thin themselves on sunday.

Today was almost perfect for Jumbo. Only Kuss missed the right move in the breakaway. Oomen, Gesink and Kruijswijk were all strong enough. Roglic closed down one move with pretty minimal effort. Bit annoying to keep red I guess.

All of us who criticised Kruijswijk are left looking a bit of a jackasses now i guess:) Today was the first time I saw him really working for his team. I didn’t think he had it in him - glad to be proven wrong…

Nah. It just motivates him to give 100% when he checks the CN forum after the stage while on a massage and reads all the doubts. We should criticize him more so he can keep a high level throughout the race. Now let's hope Sepp can stay in the top 10 after Sunday (wishful thinking probably)

I do hope he doesn’t regret not acting sooner. There’s quite a crowd in GC standings ATM - a lot of potential for ambush…
This is why they wanted Kuss back in contention. So they can use him as a pawn. Kuss is also really good in 3rd week

Sadly for Roglic there are multiple leaders in the other teams and the some of his contenders look really good. If Roglic attacked today I think Yates and Lopez would've matched his attack. Honestly I think Ineos uses Yates so much and make him spent so much energy because they don't believe in his 3rd week. Ineos's bet is Bernal 3rd week but I don't think it's gonna happen. The climbs don't suit him. No 2k+, no cold, too steep.

Velefique doesn't look like a Roglic climb, too flat on the end to make a big attack. With hilly stages coming 2nd week, I think Jumbo is gonna let the break go and rent the jersey once again.

I know this looks like TDF 2020 but is there someone who can do a Pog here on the final TT? I don't see it tbh. And this time it looks to me like Roglic doesn't want to let anyone go. Lopez & Yates attacked, he responded to them. After the borefests at Giro & Tour I would rather have a close GC until the end, it's much more exciting.

Velefique doesn't look like a Roglic climb, too flat on the end to make a big attack.

The last part of the Velefique climb reminds me of the Col de la Colmiane from Paris-Nice (maybe slightly less steep in its final km). But as always in these cases, action on the road is not always dictated by the gradient. And Roglic will have to respond to any of his rivals who go for it.

So let's say one of them (Yates?) manages to pull a gap to the others, Roglic will have to be on his wheel. At which point there's no reason why he couldn't/shouldn't counter attack.

I think the 2020 Tour was a bit different in the sense Pogacar was pushing Roglic into digging very deep, i.e. forcing Roglic to respond to his attacks. I don't see it in this Vuelta & IMO what we see so far is Roglic managing his form & reserves with an eye on the 3rd week.

The last part of the Velefique climb reminds me of the Col de la Colmiane from Paris-Nice (maybe slightly less steep in its final km). But as always in these cases, action on the road is not always dictated by the gradient. And Roglic will have to respond to any of his rivals who go for it.

So let's say one of them (Yates?) manages to pull a gap to the others, Roglic will have to be on his wheel. At which point there's no reason why he couldn't/shouldn't counter attack.

I think the 2020 Tour was a bit different in the sense Pogacar was pushing Roglic into digging very deep, i.e. forcing Roglic to respond to his attacks. I don't see it in this Vuelta & IMO what we see so far is Roglic managing his form & reserves with an eye on the 3rd week.
Nobody will attack on Velifique as Sepp Kuss will just be there.

Reactions: Luthor

Then simply tell me who do they got if you cross Kruijswijk of the list? ATM i don't see it. Hence Kruijswijk will likely be there one way or another. And IMHO best to manage Kruijswijk in a way we will get to see the best version of Kruijswijk.

Last edited:
I think last year we saw the serial killer roglic at the Vuelta because he knew his form was dwindling and he had to capitalize at every oportunity, and also there were more decisev stages earlier in that unusual route. This year, due to the crash, it seems he's more confident in his third week form.

I don't buy this "Roglic fades at GT's" story. He certainly didn't fade at 2019 Vuelta, and he put time into Pogacar at the Alps in 2020.

Let's not forget that at last year's Vuelta also his support was uncertain, despite Vingegaard helping him later in the race.

Reactions: Rackham
I think last year we saw the serial killer roglic at the Vuelta because he knew his form was dwindling and he had to capitalize at every oportunity, and also there were more decisev stages earlier in that unusual route. This year, due to the crash, it seems he's more confident in his third week form.

I don't buy this "Roglic fades at GT's" story. He certainly didn't fade at 2019 Vuelta, and he put time into Pogacar at the Alps in 2020.

Let's not forget that at last year's Vuelta also his support was uncertain, despite Vingegaard helping him later in the race.

They (JV) also hit the panic button after Formigal on the first Sunday (rain jacket incident) where Roglic lost 40+ seconds on Carapaz.

So the following week he went full attack on the Moncalvillo & another punch stage on the Friday. And after he limited his losses on the Angrilu (thanks to Sepp Kuss), he won the TT on the Tuesday after the rest day & then managed his lead in the final difficulties.

This year it won't play out the same. And I agree about the "3rd week" thing, especially this year. I mean if Bernal is waiting for week 3 to play his cards, I don't see "why" Roglic would fade when contrary to Bernal he hasn't even raced a full GT this year. And in the Giro it was Bernal who faded in week 3.

I only mention Bernal because on paper he's still the main rival (palmarès & potential watts).