• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 348 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just like now you think that they're 'forcing' him to ride the Giro, as if they didn't discuss it with him. Maybe he wants to ride the Giro, Roglic and the Tour hasn't exactly been a happy marriage so far.
From what Vingegaard says, it sounds like Roglic really wanted to do the Giro.

"I think he is so good that he should be given the opportunity to ride the races he wants. And he really wants to do the Giro. So it would be strange to force him to ride the Tour."

From what Vingegaard says, it sounds like Roglic really wanted to do the Giro.

"I think he is so good that he should be given the opportunity to ride the races he wants. And he really wants to do the Giro. So it would be strange to force him to ride the Tour."

Then what was up with Roglic' recent comments that the Giro would likely come too soon? That he would know more in January?

Any Slovenian posters know if Rogla has commented on the news? I haven't read anything from the man himself since the announcement.

Reactions: Luthor
Roglic might fancy his chances better at the Giro, on that route, than going toe to toe against Vingegaard and Pog in the mountains at the Tour. Considering all the circus around that race as well it might not be the best idea.

Evenepoel will probably not be an easy opponent in the Giro, of course, but Roglic might like his chances better against him. A 80-90% Roglic was still "only" 1 minute and 26 seconds behind him going into the 3rd week in the Vuelta, last season.

Roglic might fancy his chances better at the Giro, on that route, than going toe to toe against Vingegaard and Pog in the mountains at the Tour. Considering all the circus around that race as well it might not be the best idea.

Evenepoel will probably not be an easy opponent in the Giro, of course, but Roglic might like his chances better against him. A 80-90% Roglic was still "only" 1 minute and 26 seconds behind him going into the 3rd week in the Vuelta, last season.

only after Remco’s crash.

people keep ignoring that Remco’s time losses only happened in the days right AFTER his crash. Without this Remco would likely have lost zero time on Rog and maybe even gained more.

One can certainly suggest that Rog may not have been optimally prepped for the Vuelta.

however almost another year older. And that will likely have opposite effect on both riders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Extinction and KZD
only after Remco’s crash.

people keep ignoring that Remco’s time losses only happened in the days right AFTER his crash. Without this Remco would likely have lost zero time on Rog and maybe even gained more.

lone can certainly suggest that Rog may not have been optimally prepped for the Vuelta.

however almost another year older. And that will likely have opposite effect on both riders.

Ok.

What surprises me isn't even Roglič going to the Giro, where he has a bigger chance than in the Tour, but its Kelderman joining him there. This means that Jumbo should have a plan b forthe Giro GC but not for the Tour GC, they have Van Aert for the green jersey though.

This could also mean that Kooij GT debut might be delayed until the Vuelta.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Giro is overall probably a better choice for Roglic, but I'm not a fan of the idea he's forced into it by the team.

Did anyone see the team presentation, from what I saw it looked like he wasn't even there

Didn't watch it, but Rog wasn't there. The fact that he didn't comment on the news either makes it look bad, IMO. But I'm imagining things, according to some ;-)

The entire J-V Giro squad has been announced in a podcast, btw. It's also up on PCS:

Then what was up with Roglic' recent comments that the Giro would likely come too soon? That he would know more in January?

Any Slovenian posters know if Rogla has commented on the news? I haven't read anything from the man himself since the announcement.
According to Jumbo, he was supposed to be at the team presentation but flew back to Slovenia because of unfortunate family circumstances. So chances are he's not really interested in giving interviews about the Giro or anything else right now.

Unless you think that this once again is a lie by the evil masters at Jumbo :)

Giro is overall probably a better choice for Roglic, but I'm not a fan of the idea he's forced into it by the team.

Did anyone see the team presentation, from what I saw it looked like he wasn't even there
He had to go back to Slovenia due to family circumstances.
Jonas and Zeeman can talk what they want, but I'm not so sure that Giro was Primoz's first choice. One week ago he said that Giro may come too soon and maybe TDF would be a better choice. I also didn't like the expression on Merijn's face when he was saying Roglic is going to Giro, he looked uncomfortable.

Jonas and Zeeman can talk what they want, but I'm not so sure that Giro was Primoz's first choice. One week ago he said that Giro may come too soon and maybe TDF would be a better choice. I also didn't like the expression on Merijn's face when he was saying Roglic is going to Giro, he looked uncomfortable.
Merijn looks uncomfortable within a 200m radius of any camera. But maybe that's hopium.

I think Roglic' quotes don't mean super much he's just avoiding saying much before team presentation.

Family circumstances being 2nd kid?

Who will be there for Vingegaard in the tour?
  • WVA
  • Kuss
  • Benoot
  • Laporte
  • Van Baarle
  • Kruiswijk
And one more.
Probably need a climber and not Van Hooydonk?

Dennis instead of Van Hooydonck, would be my guess.

EDIT: apparently Van Hooydonck is likely to be in. The other 6 guys you mentioned as well. So the only difference is Van Baarle in, Rog out.

Last edited:
He just lost 48 seconds to remco in a 30 km TT on the last vuelta, and he wasn't at his best.
I think remco will gain time to roglic, but not that much. I think he will lose 1 min to remco in the first 2 TTs.
The last TT it will be quite balanced between the two, because it's almost a mountain TT.

Just predictions, if roglic don't crash again.
The last TT will be balanced between the two because it's almost a mountain TT? You mean it's similar to the PdBF TT (both in profile as well as timing) where he blew up? Or the NC TT where he also got beaten by Pogacar? And furthermore because Evenepoel isn't known to drop watt bombs on 7k climbs?

1 minute in the first two TT's would be good for Roglic. I think it'll be a bit more but not that much. If both still have solid form in the final TT, i fear it also favors Evenepoel, who will not have to burn as many matches on the flat section for a similar result, and then let his superior w/kg ratio do the talking on the climb.

The last TT will be balanced between the two because it's almost a mountain TT? You mean it's similar to the PdBF TT (both in profile as well as timing) where he blew up? Or the NC TT where he also got beaten by Pogacar? And furthermore because Evenepoel isn't known to drop watt bombs on 7k climbs?

1 minute in the first two TT's would be good for Roglic. I think it'll be a bit more but not that much. If both still have solid form in the final TT, i fear it also favors Evenepoel, who will not have to burn as many matches on the flat section for a similar result, and then let his superior w/kg ratio do the talking on the climb.

if both still in good shape at the end of three weeks, i tend to agree. remco actually created the biggest gap on the 4km very steep finish last year.

also the less than 30 km ITT in vuelta was pan flat and the higher the speeds the less chance of making as much difference.

Interview | Zeeman was quick with ambitious Roglic:

"When asked by In de Leiderstrui whether Roglic will be ready in time after his shoulder surgery to be really good, Zeeman responds in agreement. “We think that the months he still has to train must be enough to fight for the victory in the Giro.” And with that, the presence of Kelderman and Foss should not be seen as a kind of plan B, if Roglic was not to be on the appointment. “If you want to win a grand tour, you have to start with a very strong team. We need such guys to go for the overall victory and we have the hope that Wilco can really go with the best, to be so much with Primoz. There are of course scenarios that something is happening and that you have to switch and that is also a quality of ours. Wilco and Tobias are there for Primoz and to win the pink jersey with him.

Roglic is currently still recovering from a shoulder operation, but that is actually going very well. “He’s still in his rehab. Primoz is progressing, training well and has been able to do many hours during the training camp in the past two weeks. He is ahead of schedule that we had in mind and makes rapid progress. The shoulder needs time and so he is not allowed to race yet, but he can make his hours in the gym and on the bike. It is now about training, training, training... In February he will go to training camp and then we expect to be able to start in Catalonia at the end of March.” "

Source:

Final TT is just about who has the best climbing legs at that point at that point. Avg speed is gonna be under 25.

Final TT is just about who has the best climbing legs at that point at that point. Avg speed is gonna be under 25.
Final TT has a 11k flat section, where Roglic will need to go at the limit to keep up. Either he loses time on the flat and both start the climb equally in the red, or Roglic has to dig deeper on the flat and Evenepoel starts the climb a bit fresher. And then the climb itself, is like a perfect example of climbs were Evenepoel has done serious damage last year. On top of either starting the climb fresher or having a time bonus at that point. If Roglic doesn't lose any time in this TT he should count his blessings.

Same feeling here. His recent interview kinda suggested he wants the Tour.

Van Aert says in this interview https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/inter...r-ik-was-er-even-helemaal-klaar-mee~a2449ec0/ :
Is the Tour team just as strong without Roglic?
“That remains to be seen. Primoz wanted to ride a grand tour with a full team in support, and the team couldn't guarantee that. That is possible in the Giro.”
I'm not sure what that means. I'm guessing Jumbo wanted Roglic to start protected in Tour but eventually sacrifice himself for Vingo if they're close.

Regarding the Giro team I have a lot of doubts given how bad TJV has prepared in the past for it. A lot depends on Kelderman. Kuss in that team would've really make a huge difference given the 3rd week. Not sure how Hessmann earned a Giro spot, he barely rode any WT races. Leemreize or Attila Valter should be there instead of him.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and acm

Van Aert says in this interview https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/inter...r-ik-was-er-even-helemaal-klaar-mee~a2449ec0/ :

I'm not sure what that means. I'm guessing Jumbo wanted Roglic to start protected in Tour but eventually sacrifice himself for Vingo if they're close.

Regarding the Giro team I have a lot of doubts given how bad TJV has prepared in the past for it. A lot depends on Kelderman. Kuss in that team would've really make a huge difference given the 3rd week. Not sure how Hessmann earned a Giro spot, he barely rode any WT races. Leemreize or Attila Valter should be there instead of him.
That's actually pretty clear language, like he rather wanted to be primary leader than get *** juggling again.

Basically they wanted him to be a superdomestique. Primoz said no and too bad for them because they will not be able to repeat this year's winning tactics.

Agree with your thoughts about Giro. IMO both Dennis and Valter should be in the team... but many things can change till May.