• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 677 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would say he was badly placed because he didn't had the legs. Already at the first San Lucca Jungels placed him inside the first 10 riders then when Pogi did go for the bidon and the other big guns reacted Roglic was nowhere. Without the team support and the group getting there act together on the flat he would have lost many more seconds . So all in all not a bad result if you take into account how bad he was on the climb.

It's not looking good but until Tuesday we don't know how bad it actually is. Winning was always a long shot against Pogi and Vinge in top form. We will know more then if he can fight for the podium/Top 5.
Pretty much.

I had been hoping he might best of the rest, which would mean racing for 3rd here with Vingegaard seemingly back in shape. Looks like it won't be the case.

Pretty much.

I had been hoping he might best of the rest, which would mean racing for 3rd here with Vingegaard seemingly back in shape. Looks like it won't be the case.
It's waaaaay early to judge the form of anyone except Pogacar, who looks superb. Roglic was definitely not attentive when it counted for whatever reason. I don't think he was saving anything; just not snappy enough to get through that climbing chaos when the inevitable Tadej jump occurred.
Kudos to the French for making a race the last two days!

Only reason I'm delaying writing his eulogy is I'm occupied with writing the Andy Murray one

I'm not going to dive into his positioning analysis or whatnot (a recurring problem with Rogla), i.e. I'll simply tell myself he had sh*t legs in the first ITT of the Giro last year as well.

Granted the opposition is of an entirely different calibre (& to make matters worse San Luca is his climb), but at this point the question is really just "can Rog have a decent TdF with a respectable finish or will he explode entirely?".

Call it copium or hopium or whatever but I still believe he can do some positive things here. But yeah, today was a very bad early sign.

Haters will hate (& people have an annoying habit of drawing absolute conclusions about the final GC after a couple of stages, although that's evidently not exclusive to Rog's situation either), yet for the sake of argument & some perspective it's probably important to note a couple of things:

Firstly Rog now starts everything slow. Be it GT's (like last year's Giro or Vuelta) or ITT (he usually rides a faster second & third time check after shipping a bucket load of time in the first part). He also often surprises people negatively by not performing where they expect him to (like doing nothing in a so-called punchy climb which suits him on paper). San Luca today wasn't the first time that's happened.

Secondly he looks very, very thin. He didn't seem particularly bothered after the stage either. Make of that what you will (he's a chill guy in any case so there's probably not much to read into his mindset there).

Onwards & hopefully upwards.

yeah he does. maybe he will surprise us in the high mountains.

Today was like a one day classic.

It sounds like copium to some people but seriously having followed this rider for so long, I can say with some real confidence he's quite enigmatic with regards to how he does well in some stages/races versus how he gets completely dropped in others.

Maybe Tuesday will show the real truth but it's worth noting everyone keeps on saying he should win Lombardia, but guess what? He gets dropped every time - even when he's shown he has decent enough legs 3 days prior.

It's just the Rogla way. In the end it was 21 seconds. That's little compared to the narrative which exploded at the end of the stage.

Reactions: acm and SHAD0W93