• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 678 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If they don't now why he had a bad day they only can hope that he will get better... Perhaps there is a reason behind it. The only positiv thing for Roglic is that this stage has nothing to do with the high mountain stages where he could be better if they changed something at training.

Its not really about the timeloss, but rather him looking so relatively bad on such a climb. He was worse than 21 seconds at the top.

And that's a pretty pointless conversation to have because we'll find out soon enough.

I touched on this issue in a previous post, i.e. drawing absolute conclusions after a couple of stages. People can write whatever they want & make the predictions they want but at the end of the day, we'll see on the road what the real truth is.

Until then & until it gets worse, it's just 21 seconds.

And that's a pretty pointless conversation to have because we'll find out soon enough.

I touched on this issue in a previous post, i.e. drawing absolute conclusions after a couple of stages. People can write whatever they want & make the predictions they want but at the end of the day, we'll see on the road what the real truth is.

Until then & until it gets worse, it's just 21 seconds.
I guess we can stop talking about the race completely then. What a bunch of nonsense - of course people are gonna speculate and analyze (you including, when it fits your agenda..) based on what we have seen and what then might happen based on what we have seen. Thats only normal - especially on a cycling forum.

I guess we can stop talking about the race completely then. What a bunch of nonsense - of course people are gonna speculate and analyze (you including, when it fits your agenda..) based on what we have seen and what then might happen based on what we have seen. Thats only normal - especially on a cycling forum.
I'm not sure that's what Rackham meant. Just that it's early to draw such definitive conclusions as saying he definitely won't make it to the podium or even inside the top 5 or whatever. It don't look good, that's for sure, but it's also just stage 2.

Personally I would be glad if he could just finish the race without too many mishaps and heck even win a stage. But being a fan of this guy is also about accepting that there is no going upwards without first taking a nosedive into the depths of cycling hell.

This isn't exactly an accurate portrayal of cycling conversations - mine included.

The conversation about today's stage ends tomorrow & will be completely forgotten on Tuesday. The truth is we've been here before many times. On Bejes in the Vuelta last year the 'narrative' in the ensuing hours was about how Rog wasn't even as good as Ayuso & Mas on a climb which 'suited him'. Guess what? 24 later he won on the Angliru.

Rog is simply a very difficult rider categorise. They call him a puncheur yet he doesn't win classics on punchy terrain (except San Luca, ironically). They say he can't manage long climbs yet wins on the Angliru & was second best on Loze 4 years ago. Etc etc. This works in reverse as well i.e. everyone said LPDBF was going to be a cakewalk & guess what? He exploded.

I mean jumping into the conversation with a "he should be good in stage 2 so this means he's doomed" opinion is pretty much trivial. You haven't got any idea how this race is going to go, i.e. for anyone (except Pog because even with the Giro in his legs he should be his usual self in this Tour).

Anyone who says right here & right now "this is how the race will end" is simply fantasizing. It would be the same if Rog had done well today & people had jumped to conclusions about that afterwards. It cuts both ways.

Reactions: Carols and acm
This isn't exactly an accurate portrayal of cycling conversations - mine included.

The conversation about today's stage ends tomorrow & will be completely forgotten on Tuesday. The truth is we've been here before many times. On Bejes in the Vuelta last year the 'narrative' in the ensuing hours was about how Rog wasn't even as good as Ayuso & Mas on a climb which 'suited him'. Guess what? 24 later he won on the Angliru.

Rog is simply a very difficult rider categorise. They call him a puncheur yet he doesn't win classics on punchy terrain (except San Luca, ironically). They say he can't manage long climbs yet wins on the Angliru & was second best on Loze 4 years ago. Etc etc. This works in reverse as well i.e. everyone said LPDBF was going to be a cakewalk & guess what? He exploded.

I mean jumping into the conversation with a "he should be good in stage 2 so this means he's doomed" opinion is pretty much trivial. You haven't got any idea how this race is going to go, i.e. for anyone (except Pog because even with the Giro in his legs he should be his usual self in this Tour).

Anyone who says right here & right now "this is how the race will end" is simply fantasizing. It would be the same if Rog had done well today & people had jumped to conclusions about that afterwards. It cuts both ways.
Again, this is what a forum is for. We watch the races, we comment, we analyze etc. Ofc we don't know what's gonna happen, but Roglic looking like this while Jonas was better than expected has lowered his chances of winning overall. And then of course there's the lost time on top of that which isn't a big deal, but still obviously mean something.

Pog is not happy that he couldn't beat Vinge today. He will keep trying and in the third week explode. Vinge is ready for one to two weeks, he'll also explode in the third. Remco will lose 1 hour until week three and stage hunt. Guess who will reach his best form in week three? Yup, Roglič will demolish everyone and later crash in meaningless stage sprint and DNF. So that makes Carapaz the winner.

Again, this is what a forum is for. We watch the races, we comment, we analyze etc. Ofc we don't know what's gonna happen, but Roglic looking like this while Jonas was better than expected has lowered his chances of winning overall. And then of course there's the lost time on top of that which isn't a big deal, but still obviously mean something.

Yeah & it's trivial.

The most interesting piece of information I've had in recent weeks was from Johan Bruyneel of all people, i.e. with his insider scoop about Pog's improved watts since the Giro & the 'racing conditions' test UAE carried out in training a couple of weeks ago where they simulated stage 19 with a Pog attack in which he put over a minute into Yates & Almedia. That was very interesting.

The reason I've bounced off almost every other podcast/youtuber like Lanterne Rouge/news outlet is because their entire schtick is to chat for an hour about something I've just watched with my own eyes... & draw absolute conclusions from that. It's boring.

I mean what are we supposed to say this evening? Carapaz is better than Rog & will beat him in this Tour? It's one stage. I have no idea whether Rog will get worse or better but none of us know how this will end.

Reactions: acm and SHAD0W93
I didn't really expect this. This is his hill, this is what he's supposed to be one of the best at. I was expecting him and Pogacar to take time, not him losing it. This whole season something seemed wrong, we'll know in 2 days if something actually really is.
He's just not there. Not today. Way too much out of position, bad legs and crazy Pog and Vinge. Remco and Carapaz would also loose a lot of time if this hill would be longer.

Yeah & it's trivial.

The most interesting piece of information I've had in recent weeks was from Johan Bruyneel of all people, i.e. with his insider scoop about Pog's improved watts since the Giro & the 'racing conditions' test UAE carried out in training a couple of weeks ago where they simulated stage 19 with a Pog attack in which he put over a minute into Yates & Almedia. That was very interesting.

The reason I've bounced off almost every other podcast/youtuber like Lanterne Rouge/news outlet is because their entire schtick is to chat for an hour about something I've just watched with my own eyes... & draw absolute conclusions from that. It's boring.

I mean what are we supposed to say this evening? Carapaz is better than Rog & will beat him in this Tour? It's one stage. I have no idea whether Rog will get worse or better but none of us know how this will end.
These W/kg scoops are so dumb lol.

Stage 19 simul putting a minute into Yates or Almeida is hardly the scariest thing ever. That's actually below where I think Pogacar should be.

Cannot blame the team. Hindley and Vlasov have been loyal. Vlasov looked stronger than Roglic today. Jungels was among the last 30-35 guys yesterday. Dropped after a leadout into the last climb. Today he did the same job prior to the 2nd round of San Luca.

Concerning part isn't that Roglic was dropped by VIngegaard and Pogacar. Thats in line with my pre race expectations. But he wasn't even close to being the best of the rest. Not even among the top 10 GC guys on "his" climb.
If this is an uphill finish he is losing even more time. Can be happy that Ineos looked just as bad. They limited the damage on the flat.

3d4fbc14d4b1088f3c88f8ef43143a81.jpeg

I feel that the approach to the stage two was right, don't try to win it, as it's not a MTF, or to do anything about increasing other leaders chances in winning it. As for time loss, ideally that would not happen, still once over the ultimate climb both Vlasov and Hindley were there, so best to regroup and mitigate the losses. In my opinion the strongest team, as a whole, will win this Tour edition and Bora was rather cohesive today in that regards. Hopefully Galibier further reassures them that Pogi and Jonas are already fighting for second place and Rogla to come on top deeper into the race.

• Haha
Reactions: kn0s and SHAD0W93
That was just yet another (very) hard hit to my belief in Rogla somehow showing us the tour performance we have been denied a realization in all these years.
I am running out of "excuses" this season.
We can only hope this were by far the worst legs he will have in this tour, no other explanation asked, because this really looked bad, otherwise the whole season has to be put under examination as to what went wrong. And how many such seasons at that age can you have before you have to question if the time has caught up.
Maybe (just pure hypothesizing) he just went too lean even for his standards to the point its causing problems, specially in the cold but also just general inconsistency in performance.

Do we give up if stage 4 also disappoints, or do we wait for a grand comeback until the time loss is just too great excluding voodoo stuff?

It is really not that easy being his fan, when I cheer for Pogačar, things are so much easier and more straightforward.

Last edited: