• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 717 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tadej and Jonas won't be there, probably not Remco either. So Roglic should win, even if he isn't a his best.
I dont think so. I think he is the best of the rest, but not clearly, he need to be at his best like past year and even in that situation is not so clear. Think that Thomas was close to beat him at the Giro.

He beated Carapaz at la Vuelta by just 24 seconds, and he put 49 s. at the only ITT of the race. At the mountains, Carapaz was better.

And about his current injuries...as he didnt broke anything I though it wanst so important..but to be ready for le Tour and make half le Tour is the best preparation for la Vuelta, except you have long time out of the bike, but I think he just stopped a few days. The work was done, so he just has to train hard 2 weeks to be ready again.
Hope he recover soon, and stay at la Vuelta, as maximun favourite.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I dont think so. I think he is the best of the rest, but not clearly, he need to be at his best like past year and even in that situation is not so clear. Think that Thomas was close to beat him at the Giro.

He beated Carapaz at la Vuelta by just 24 seconds, and he put 49 s. at the only ITT of the race. At the mountains, Carapaz was better.

The Vuelta 2020 was atypical because he was held late October & Rog was cooked by then. He was out of energy.

If all goes well & he can train properly soon enough, then this 2024 Tour DNF could theoretically be similar to the 2021 season where he won the Olympic ITT gold a month after pulling out of the Tour & then went on to dominate the Vuelta with a 4+ minutes lead over Mas.

I mean evidently IMO if the Rog of stage 11 in this TdF (Le Lorian) shows up in Spain next month, he'll have a real good chance of winning GC - even against Yates & Almeida who I'm sure will be the biggest threats.

The Vuelta 2020 was atypical because he was held late October & Rog was cooked by then. He was out of energy.

If all goes well & he can train properly soon enough, then this 2024 Tour DNF could theoretically be similar to the 2021 season where he won the Olympic ITT gold a month after pulling out of the Tour & then went on to dominate the Vuelta with a 4+ minutes lead over Mas.

I mean evidently IMO if the Rog of stage 11 in this TdF (Le Lorian) shows up in Spain next month, he'll have a real good chance of winning GC - even against Yates & Almeida who I'm sure will be the biggest threats.
I dont know if he was cooked, maybe you are right, but it was his best year and he came to la Vuelta after to win Liege.

Carapaz had a similar season and rode le Tour as well.

I dont know if he was cooked, maybe you are right, but it was his best year and he came to la Vuelta after to win Liege.

Carapaz had a similar season and rode le Tour as well.

Carapaz rode the Tour 2020 without riding GC. That's a huge difference versus what Rog did versus Pog. The energy & physical demands was completely different.

Anyway we're not going to constantly rehash past stuff, i.e. in terms of winning by the biggest margins, Rog's best season was 2021 with his win in Itzulia versus Pog, his Olympic ITT gold, Vuelta dominance & two Italian semi classics.

Right now I don't actually care much about comparisons to previous years either, i.e. I just want to see him fit & motivated to race again. That would be a good starting place for the rest of his contract with Red Bull. .

So Denk has said that based on the data a top 2 finish in the Tour would have been very difficult (in fact beating Pog was impossible) but a 3rd place was definitely possible. In light of that fact I'll unequivocally say as a fan I choose Vuelta number 4 > another Tour podium finish.

By a country mile. Maybe the sponsors think a TdF podium means more but I don't. A GT win is a GT win. That goes for this season & also next season as well.

So Denk has said that based on the data a top 2 finish in the Tour would have been very difficult (in fact beating Pog was impossible) but a 3rd place was definitely possible. In light of that fact I'll unequivocally say as a fan I choose Vuelta number 4 > another Tour podium finish.

By a country mile. Maybe the sponsors think a TdF podium means more but I don't. A GT win is a GT win. That goes for this season & also next season as well.
So Giro, Tour de Suisse and Vuelta next year? And maybe Fleche before Giro, he just has to win that one day.

I agree that another Vuelta is bigger for him. For Evenepoel for example it isn’t because he had something to proof, but Roglic already got a TDF podium. Since no one else of the big 4 is riding the Vuelta he should have a decent shot at the overall as long as he stays upright

Honestly, I don't think a healthy top form TdF run in itself couldn't be overstated. If the pantheon of the 4 GC riders of this era - he should have been there to battle it out, even if it's for 3rd or 4th place. And while I think Roglic is or is gonna be very close to the best GC rider to never win the Tour, I do think a 2nd Tour podium would still be a significant result for him, especially if that's behind Pogacar and Vingegaard.

Conventionally, a 4th Vuelta is absolutely bigger. But for Roglic, a 3rd at this Tour behind Pogacar and Vingegaard would be at least as big I reckon

I hope he will fully heal and recover from his injuries and be able to race again at a high level this season. For next year, I hope he'll be able to show his best in the Tour. Maybe it'd make sense to adopt the Yates attitude of riding at the back to avoid the worst stress and risks in the bunch. Over a season, avoiding such crashes is worth a great deal of time losses.

Honestly, I don't think a healthy top form TdF run in itself couldn't be overstated. If the pantheon of the 4 GC riders of this era - he should have been there to battle it out, even if it's for 3rd or 4th place. And while I think Roglic is or is gonna be very close to the best GC rider to never win the Tour, I do think a 2nd Tour podium would still be a significant result for him, especially if that's behind Pogacar and Vingegaard.

Conventionally, a 4th Vuelta is absolutely bigger. But for Roglic, a 3rd at this Tour behind Pogacar and Vingegaard would be at least as big I reckon
Never beating Poulidor for that.

So do you think Roglic could only have finished 16th this year or thereabouts
Or
If they both raced the Vuelta and Carapaz was in GC shape it’d be within a minute separating the two?
Carapaz finished at GC shape. He rode le Tour after a crash as Tour de suisse, he had lo left the race. Other way I think he would have fight for the podium with Remco
Roglic is the main favourite for a 4th tittle at la Vuelta, and he deserves after last year, but I dont feel him cleraly superior. If he recover and he is at his best.

Interesting, thanks. That sounds not dissimilar to a condition I've recently been diagnosed with, Spondylolisthesis. It's a cracking of those transversus whatevers, which causes the vertabrae to slip and pinch the nerves in the spinal column. Good fun, getting old.

I assume he's young enough that it'll heal and he'll not get the slippage. Even if he does, it's not the worst thing, it's treatable with PT.

Wish him luck.