• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It does't look good but I'm still holding a bit reserve a different Roglic might show up in week 3.
He seems to have held back in most of the stages except yesterday, when he was forced to ride hard to limit the damage after errors.

I think he was planning to go all out in week 3. So until I see a week 3 mt stage, I'm not writing him off yet

He was closing the gap on an unfamiliar bike then he crashed. As long as he wasn't hurt by the crash I still think he's in the race but it's getting close to the tipping point, Nibali even more so. The big problem is the team, management and riders.

We should not underestimate the impact of an ill fitting bike. But I do agree he wasn't looking as strong before the crash. There is hope for him to bounce back but it does seem like he is fading. But he can't ride conservatively any more he is going to have to attack especially since if he is fading then his TT won't be as powerful either. But no doubt I will be proven wrong again. ;)

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
He is very lucky to escape a time penalty for that sticky bottle.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-roglic-giro-sticky-bottle/
I mean it was a bit excessive but I've seen much worse, also sometimes they would do it multiple times, hand a sticky gel, then hand another sticky gel, then a sticky bottle, etc. Nobody says anything.

Also reminds me of Nibali's famous sticky bottle that DQ him from the Vuelta, now that was on another level :)
https://youtu.be/zi24TVdZFyc

The lad remains upbeat, positive and focused.

"I feel quite normal, the way you feel after two weeks of racing. It's not the best with the crash I had but I think everything is OK. In the end, I think it was quite a lucky day. I was happy at the end," Roglic said, more relaxed and open than when he has his race face on for each stage.

"We've done the second week but the most important days are still to come. We all know Grand Tours are decided at the end and in the third week. I don't bother myself with the questions about if it's enough or who is in front. I worry about myself, and about being as good as possible tomorrow, and in the mountains."

Ride well Primoz and a podium awaits you :)

Hope he has a great final week and can keep up with the attacks that will surely come. The last stage was unfortunate, but he seems like he is still in ok shape and it could have been much worse. First, glad he isn't injured from the crash. Now hope that his team can get their act together and give him some support, not just the riders but the DS and the support staff. His GC aspirations could have so easily ended by the mechanical. If he is in good shape, he can still fight for the title.

Carols said:

"I feel quite normal, the way you feel after two weeks of racing. It's not the best with the crash I had but I think everything is OK. In the end, I think it was quite a lucky day. I was happy at the end," Roglic said, more relaxed and open than when he has his race face on for each stage.

"We've done the second week but the most important days are still to come. We all know Grand Tours are decided at the end and in the third week. I don't bother myself with the questions about if it's enough or who is in front. I worry about myself, and about being as good as possible tomorrow, and in the mountains."

You forgot this brilliant line:

"The injuries are just to my face, and I don't do much pedalling with my face."

He's got a point. :cool:

RedheadDane said:
Carols said:

You forgot this brilliant line:

"The injuries are just to my face, and I don't do much pedalling with my face."

He's got a point. :cool:

I like this lad!!! That's a signature line but I have no room. :) ;) :cool:

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not sold on Roglic as GT racer yet. He's a fantastic one week racer. Sure, probably the best..

But in TDF he showed weakness in week 2. Now in week 2 and 3..

On the right team (any team that could give him at least 2 competent domestiques) on the right course (TT heavy, of course) he is a podium threat, and he could still podium in this Giro.

I agree that he's not on the same climbing level as Nibali/Landa/Lopez/Carapaz, but he's essentially racing solo and had some lousy luck. I think he'd be about even with Nibali right now had he not had the disastrous stage to Como.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not sold on Roglic as GT racer yet. He's a fantastic one week racer. Sure, probably the best..

But in TDF he showed weakness in week 2. Now in week 2 and 3..

He's relatively new to grand tours compared to others. He needs more time. He's probably come into the race too forward in condition and with a mediocre team. That doesn't help.

Yeah it's just looking more and more likely that he peaked a lot earlier than everyone else, which is strange given how backloaded the race obviously has been.

Then again, I would expect the team to have a full grasp on how to prepare their riders to peak at the optimum time.

Yeah it's not like Jumbo have a weak climbing squad. If they bring their entire a-game, with gesink, de plus and even Kruijswijk in support, then it's probably one of the strongest teams uphill

They've been largely unlucky before / during the giro. Although I have to say Tolhoek was in better form last years TDF

Giro hasn't gone exactly to plan for him obviously, but let's not forget he won three WT stage races this year, and also two stage wins in the Giro with a possibility of a podium. I think this is an excellent season for him, with the Tour yet to come.

Re:

Lequack said:
Giro hasn't gone exactly to plan for him obviously, but let's not forget he won three WT stage races this year, and also two stage wins in the Giro with a possibility of a podium. I think this is an excellent season for him, with the Tour yet to come.
I don't believe Rogla has the engine to do 2 GT's back to back for GC. Certainly not with all the 1-week stage race wins he already had.

But he could very well do stage hunting and main support for Kruijswijk

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lequack said:
I don't believe Rogla has the engine to do 2 GT's back to back for GC. Certainly not with all the 1-week stage race wins he already had.

Supporting random top 10 rider in Tour can't possibly be worth it to forego and good ol' crack at the Vuelta. That route is so perfect for him.

Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lequack said:

Supporting random top 10 rider in Tour can't possibly be worth it to forego and good ol' crack at the Vuelta. That route is so perfect for him.
Yep, after the season he is having that makes a lot more sense. Can't peak for 6 bloody months.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lequack said:

Yep, after the season he is having that makes a lot more sense. Can't peak for 6 bloody months.
Laughs in Valverde

I don't think the steep Vuelta climbs would suit him, it's really more of a pure climbers GT. I don't imagine him going up the Angliru faster than the pure climber guys. He should focus solely on TDF next year, I think those gradients up up to 10% suit him better.

TRENDING THREADS