• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great alliance between Roglič and Pogačar on stage 13. Roglič strengthening overall classification position and Pogačar now wearing white jersey. I did expect Roglič will be able to cope with the attacks, as for such dominant performance, i wasn't expecting that.

For sure there is still a long way to go, but today's stage was a beauty.
2 Slovenians on the podium....traditionalist heads are exploding!

Reactions: Sandisfan
A nice photo from today

qMnRfZrA

Too bad for Mezgec. Today was his chance to win a stage. It was a bit uncomfortable, to see Pogačar and Roglič in the middle of the crash. Thankfully both managed to stay healthy.

Don't know if tomorrow, but the competition will for sure still try hard, to gain a few seconds against Roglič. Luckily Roglič and his team still looks strong and should be able to cope with the pressure.

I don't want to jinx him but he sure is looking Strong. No chinks in the armour. There are still very hard stages to come, starting tomorrow, so the race certainly isn't over. But he seems to have learned from his mistakes in the Giro and right now is in total control. Fingers crossed for no illness, injuries or loss of strength. Take it down Primoz :).

I was questioning his collaboration with Valverde today at first. He is the closest rival and I thought it's better to just follow the attacks. But then I realised it was probably the right decision to work with Bala. That way he's put some serious gap to other contenders and now Valverde is practically the only remaining threat.

I was questioning his collaboration with Valverde today at first. He is the closest rival and I thought it's better to just follow the attacks. But then I realised it was probably the right decision to work with Bala. That way he's put some serious gap to other contenders and now Valverde is practically the only remaining threat.
Smart ride today, instant response to the impressive Valverde attack and rode strongly but seeming to hold a bit in reserve whilst gaining time on the rest sufficiently to ensure that barring a miracle only Valverde is close enough to have a realistic shot at the top step of the podium.

Smart ride today, instant response to the impressive Valverde attack and rode strongly but seeming to hold a bit in reserve whilst gaining time on the rest sufficiently to ensure that barring a miracle only Valverde is close enough to have a realistic shot at the top step of the podium.
Agreed on these points. It looks increasingly likely that Roglic would have to experience a bad day (un jour sans) to lose the top spot. So, by not riding too aggressively and still losing no time to his closest rival, he may be reducing the danger of going too deep and becoming vulnerable to a bad day in the coming stages. Valverde looks fantastic, right now. But if he stays at his best and Roglic stays at his best, it becomes a really difficult task for Valverde to take back 2:25 from Roglic. As we know, however, things can change. All sorts of things can happen to change the GC picture, even this far into the race.

I questioned that myself, I mean he could help Pogi and not pull but I guess it was just show of strenght

Strong performance again, by Roglič and his team, on stage 15. A lot of people are mentioning Giro, and on how Roglič performed bad in the last week. He was isolated through the whole race, crashed a couple of times and due to bad nutrition caught stomach issues, still finishing on the podium. Where i feel Roglič and TJV matured is team support. TJV utilizing best riders to help Roglič and in addition this is the first time i really feel Roglič is utilizing his team, as GC contender should on a GT race. It's great to see, on just how much work Martin is investing during the race and on how the rest of the team guards the position, until the last climb. After Roglič needs to take over, to perform great against GC rivals, and he delivers. He doesn't want to play tactical games too much. He knows, he has to cope with the strongest GC rival on the stage, and he does just that. Kuss taking a stage win, well deserved and for sure that will boost the morale in TJV. I have a feeling Pogačar and López will start to play a lot of games, fighting for the white jersey. As for the closest rival to Roglič, Valverde is still in great shape.

Still long way to go, a lot of climbing ahead tomorrow. Lets hope all stay healthy and looking forward to some good cycling ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Rick and KZD
Agreed on these points. It looks increasingly likely that Roglic would have to experience a bad day (un jour sans) to lose the top spot. So, by not riding too aggressively and still losing no time to his closest rival, he may be reducing the danger of going too deep and becoming vulnerable to a bad day in the coming stages. Valverde looks fantastic, right now. But if he stays at his best and Roglic stays at his best, it becomes a really difficult task for Valverde to take back 2:25 from Roglic. As we know, however, things can change. All sorts of things can happen to change the GC picture, even this far into the race.
Hi rode smart for certain. He and Valverde were definitely drilling it and there was no holding back. Any chance to distance almost all of your rivals, while checking your only other rival's form (when you yourself are strong), is a good chance to try :)

Hi rode smart for certain. He and Valverde were definitely drilling it and there was no holding back. Any chance to distance almost all of your rivals, while checking your only other rival's form (when you yourself are strong), is a good chance to try :)
He appears to be a really f*cking smart rider. No need to show anything other than what you want the rivals to see with another week to go. Now Movistar and Astana will follow a more predicable path to fight for the podium. Superman losing this much time makes the 3rd step his best bet and that's where Valverde will want him or Pogie. Jumbo has convinced everyone they can cap both ends of any serious stage now so, barring a crash or illness; they should make it a win. Great way to do it, too.

5 stages to go and the Top Step is his :) He certainly appears strong enough to climb up there. The Giro was a huge learning experience and with a strong team he is proving to be the Real Deal and a GT candidate to be reckoned with! It's almost a shame Big Tom is coming to TJV because he'll get the Tour leadership.

5 stages to go and the Top Step is his :) He certainly appears strong enough to climb up there. The Giro was a huge learning experience and with a strong team he is proving to be the Real Deal and a GT candidate to be reckoned with! It's almost a shame Big Tom is coming to TJV because he'll get the Tour leadership.

Surely they will go to the Tour as co-leaders. It is not like Dumoulin is a multiple Tour winner. If Primož (hopefully) manages to win this race they would both have 1 GT win with Tom having one podium more to his name. They seem to be on pretty simillar top-level. Kruiswijk is the one that will be slipping down the hierarchy. And Bennet.

Surely they will go to the Tour as co-leaders. It is not like Dumoulin is a multiple Tour winner. If Primož (hopefully) manages to win this race they would both have 1 GT win with Tom having one podium more to his name. They seem to be on pretty simillar top-level. Kruiswijk is the one that will be slipping down the hierarchy. And Bennet.

I hope they are co-leaders but TJV have said they brought Tom to win the Tour. Hopefully they let the road performances decide the leader :).

I hope they are co-leaders but TJV have said they brought Tom to win the Tour. Hopefully they let the road performances decide the leader :).

To win the Tour for the team. It could also be Roglič with Tom's help. Or the other way around. I remember when they signed Roglič in 2016 and he showed results in the Giro, him and the team set the Tour 2020 for him to win. And they have kept up with the progress plan perfectly so far. 2017 was the first "big" stage race win (Algarve) and the first Tour stage win. Plus all TT wins with silver in Worlds. In 2018 the goal was to win a WT stage race. Which he did. Very dominantly. Twice. Plus he tried himself in a three week race for the first time. This year the goal was to win a GT. It was planned to be the Giro, but that went a bit wrong. Now, it looks like they have learned and hopefully he takes red to Madrid. Next year, the goal is to win the Tour. Plan made in 2016, and still active now. He basically had a perfect progression so far.

Next year, we just have to see who wears the maglia rosa commandingly a little more than halfway through the Giro, and we'll know the winner of the Vuelta.

A bit funny how Roglic and Yates resemble each other that way with the obvious exception that Roglic didn't crack as much in the Giro and did manage a good GC result.

If that is true i hope he is gone; acctually it will be all clear who will cross the line first when they win TTT

Next year, we just have to see who wears the maglia rosa commandingly a little more than halfway through the Giro, and we'll know the winner of the Vuelta.

A bit funny how Roglic and Yates resemble each other that way with the obvious exception that Roglic didn't crack as much in the Giro and did manage a good GC result.

I don't think they resemble at all. Yates came out of nowhere to dominate the Giro until he completely cracked, then won the Vuelta and this year he went back to how he was before 2018. Roglic on the other hand was very close to podium his first GT when he went for it, got third in his second and is about to win this Vuelta. Roglic didn't crack in the Giro, it was simply a matter of having a stronger competition, a worse team and his evolution as a GT rider didn't reach yet the maximum he is capable of. It remains to be seen if he can step up to multiple GT winner status.

I said something like this earlier. What gets tricky is to find a rider to contest the Giro. If the Tour is the year's goal then you have to send Kruijswijk to the Giro, or even Bennett, with a pat on the back and best of luck. TD and PR should be saved for the Tour.

Before the Vuelta I was pretty sure Roglic wasn't quite as good as Dumoulin, but now I rate them as equally good, although Dumoulin's 2nd in the Tour was a magnificent effort.

TRENDING THREADS