• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That smile he gave to the camera on stage 8. That was likely he saying goodbye to TDF 2021. Good decision to abandon the race considering he is injured and an approach where you ride TDF, to heal, well no doctor i ever heard of prescribed that. He basically rode 5 more stages after the crash on stage 3. Did a decent TT. That is some serious determination. Now i see he is already in the arms of his family, social media. Body was crushed but i feel that soul is still in the right place. Body will heal and new goals will come. Rather soonish.

We more or less knew TDF 2021 would be a two horse race. To bad they injured one at the beginning of it. Still i would say this isn't such a blow as TDF 2020. Olympics and another GT race basically a month away. If he does Vuelta i worry a bit about the team support. As likely it will be lacking. But OK.

Personally i am rather pleased with his decision as i now don't have to watch TDF to the extent i would if Roglič would still be participating. As i didn't really enjoy it all that much anymore. In addition i don't care all that much about TDF 2022. That is like ages away. Each race Roglič will participate in from now on is OK by me. In addition Tour is now a race that is just too associated with injures. No point in betting it all on Tour. It's a race. Just as any other and best to treat it like that. And honestly i feel that now Tour needs Roglič more than Roglič needs Tour.

Anyway, lets get to the Olympics first and lets do that first!

Last year’s TDF was definitely a blow, as he was a TT away from wining it. Not many saw that Pogačat performance coming, certainly not at that point last year. It’s not as if he did a poor TT, he did a good TT, it’s just that Pogačar absolutely crushed it. This year won’t hurt as much (at least not mentally) and hopefully he’ll have enough time to recover from the cuts and bruises and be competitive I Japan and Spain. Definitely a likable character.

Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
I guess ignorant cycling gods can’t read, so the changed thread title didn’t work as it should.
It is not your fault @johnymax ! But ... if I may ... can you change it now ?!
Just ... Primož Roglič discussion thread. Nothing new Rominger or anyone else .
Just Primož Roglič . :)

Reactions: Carols
I am not doing that again. Daydreaming about Tour 2022. The safety fiasco they pulled this year doesn't make them deserve it. There are now other much more important races on the schedule that will happen way before Tour 2022.

As for writing Roglič off and saying he won't do the Tour again. Due to i guess Pogačar? I don't buy that for a second. People that are able to jump of the Bloudkova velikanka for sure don't fear the Tour. Regardless how things look ATM i am sure that a champion like Roglič and a team like JV can still win any race they enter. Including Tour.

Normally I would say he's miss his chance.

<fanboyMode>
But this is Primož Roglič we're talking about - the man who wins against all odds. I would not be surprised if he turns out stronger than Pogacar...
</fanboyMode>

...though all the evidence points to the contrary ATM

I have the same fanboy mode, with a caveat: Roglic can beat Pogacar but it might depend on which race they're in.

Without any reference to clinical matters, there have been a few Grand Tour champions (especially riders who've won multiple times the Tour de France) who're invincible terminators on the roads of France in July & then become a little less terrifying once they're in other races throughout the season.

I know Roglic can beat Pogacar in races like Basque Country or the Dauphiné (& I have my suspicions the Vuelta in August could surprise a few & be a tightly contested matter "if" they both race in it), but the Tour de France based on the performance from Pogacar on Saturday & in his TT? I don't know but I lean toward the "no".

That sort of Tour de France specific performance just doesn't seem possible to counter for anyone currently in the peloton.

I have the same fanboy mode, with a caveat: Roglic can beat Pogacar but it might depend on which race they're in.

Without any reference to clinical matters, there have been a few Grand Tour champions (especially riders who've won multiple times the Tour de France) who're invincible terminators on the roads of France in July & then become a little less terrifying once they're in other races throughout the season.

I know Roglic can beat Pogacar in races like Basque Country or the Dauphiné (& I have my suspicions the Vuelta in August could surprise a few & be a tightly contested matter "if" they both race in it), but the Tour de France based on the performance from Pogacar on Saturday & in his TT? I don't know but I lean toward the "no".

That sort of Tour de France specific performance just doesn't seem possible to counter for anyone currently in the peloton.
I agree. Roglic has at least one quality going for him and that's his ability to spread his peak across many months. Pogacar's peak is much less flat than Roglic's. That and possible Pogacar's weakness in hot weather. Though I'm kind of expecting him smiling away into the distance at 35 degrees as well...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Still it's bit different though..Them skijumpers are not rushing aggressively in a 100+ group up to the tower like who's first up there and yet still jumping down from the tower in tight group.. :rolleyes:
I dont't know man... Have you ever been on top of one of those things? We have a local K55 ski jump and the idea of going down that one, let alone K200 (which is where Roglic fell) is - well there's no word for me... These guys must be fearless as in the part of the brain which produces fear is not there.

I agree. Roglic has at least one quality going for him and that's his ability to spread his peak across many months. Pogacar's peak is much less flat than Roglic's. That and possible Pogacar's weakness in hot weather. Though I'm kind of expecting him smiling away into the distance at 35 degrees as well...
Calling Pogacar's peak much less flat than Roglic' seems like a bit like an overstatement considering he's been winning pretty convincingly all year. I think it that regard they are very similar. Extreme high base level, close to peak form all season.