• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roundabout in his hometown

E7ZCzPeXIAMpRjv
Primoz is the new Tito :D

Last edited:
And when he lost the Tour to Tadej he had clearly concentrated on the other main focus: climbing. It's the dilemma for any great rider preparing for a GT and 2020 they weren't quite ready. 2021 he took too many hits.
He definitely can do the job if this is any indication of a focused effort. This should go a long way to dispel the rumors that he's in decline and Remco will dominate all.
To be fair the TT in 2020 was a climbing TT and the gaps were the biggest when he was on his road bike during it. I still think he did fine that day though, just got outgunned in perfect conditions for TP.

I'm going to be that one guy... who says he's going to win the Tour 2022.

I don't know about the Vuelta next month (Bernal & Ineos will bring their A-game), but when Primoz Roglic wants something really badly, I don't think anyone should bet against it, certainly not after that masterclass on Wednesday.

So the Tour 2022 is dans la poche, as the French say.

Reactions: Sandisfan and MTV
Did he not want TDF 2020 or TDF 2021.

Well, he probably wanted to win the Olympics in 2016 as well.

So it's when he combines that drive for success & his superpowers he's been building since, bam, anything is possible. Make no mistake, that Olympic TT was a wild ride & probably his best performance on a bike, considering the context & opposition.

I also don't believe his age is a factor either, due to his "cycling age" not reflecting his real age (turning pro so late), i.e. like a 1989 Ferrari with low mileage which can outperform later models which have endured more wear & tear over the years.

Depends on the route, if there is one long TT in the first week I would slightly favour him, if its in week 3 I would slightly favour Pog.

If there is 13.8km of TT again, and lots of high, multi mountain stages with altitude I'd slightly favour Bernal.

And if there is lots of medium mountain stages where the road never goes downhill, REMCO.

I don't know about the Vuelta next month (Bernal & Ineos will bring their A-game), but when Primoz Roglic wants something really badly, I don't think anyone should bet against it, certainly not after that masterclass on Wednesday.

So the Tour 2022 is dans la poche, as the French say.

All Danes will be like "wtf are they riding for Roglic for?"... Smh in advance.

Depends on the route, if there is one long TT in the first week I would slightly favour him, if its in week 3 I would slightly favour Pog.

If there is 13.8km of TT again, and lots of high, multi mountain stages with altitude I'd slightly favour Bernal.

And if there is lots of medium mountain stages where the road never goes downhill, REMCO.

This is no joke, i.e. there are roads like that in France. You could definitely find the suitable routes in the massif central where the roads go up a bit, then level out on some plateau.

In fact if Evenepoel was French, I'd bet Prudhomme & the ASO would design that Tour without blinking.

Are there more Slovenians on this site than Belgians?

I should know this, but how come Slovenia had only 1 TT starter and 4 RR starters? On the basis of the last WC TT? I assume it's not on the basis of the world rankings... I wouldn't have been surprised by Poggla(TM) 1&2.

I should know this, but how come Slovenia had only 1 TT starter and 4 RR starters? On the basis of the last WC TT? I assume it's not on the basis of the world rankings... I wouldn't have been surprised by Poggla(TM) 1&2.
I think it was based on the 2019 ITT WC. Can't find a better source, but Wikipedia also thinks so:

The top 30 (men) or 15 (women) NOCs in the nation rankings may enter a time trial cyclist. The 2019 World Championships also afford 10 places per gender in the time trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification?wprov=sfla1

Last edited:

I think logic said it was from Belgium winning the European TT Championship when this was brought up in I believe the Remco thread.

This is no joke, i.e. there are roads like that in France. You could definitely find the suitable routes in the massif central where the roads go up a bit, then level out on some plateau.

In fact if Evenepoel was French, I'd bet Prudhomme & the ASO would design that Tour without blinking.
and he still wouldnt be close to winning, the hype needs to die

and he still wouldnt be close to winning, the hype needs to die

I don't disagree. But regarding the ASO & Prudhomme, they basically design the Tour to suit whichever French rider is the best of the country at the time based on whichever characteristics he has. Alaphilippe is an excellent puncheur & descender, ergo the Tour 2021 featured loads of descent finishes & started with two punch stages. Pinot was an excellent climber, ergo the Tour 2020 was loaded with climbs etc.

It doesn't mean that guy is going to win, it's just a helping-hand & it's sort of an open secret.

It doesn't matter for Roglic though because just like practically all real Tour contenders, he can do everything (climb, ride TT & even descend). So whatever route they cook up next year, I don't think Jumbo Visma will look at it as either more or less favorable because Pogacar can also do everything.

Just like the Giro had flat stages to help Petacchi and Cipo or courses to help their riders and Vuelta goes for Muritos for Valverde and Rodriquez. If the French really wanted a winner they’d design routes for Chavanel, Casar, Voeckler, and Fedrigo. But than Voigt would probably end up winning.

Reactions: Sandisfan

An ideal route for Primoz would be a 5th stage TT with 45 km, then a 60 km monster TTT in the third week, after two flat stages.

The problem is: I never saw a TTT after the first week (it would be unfair, bcause some teams would be low on riders at that point), but this would be theideal route for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS