• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a Vuelta from him. He gained a lot of respect from me, abandoning his "waiting for the final 500m of a mtf" tactics, not always relying on his teammates but instead making properly great attacks. Him following Bernal and winning on the Lagos de Covadonga was by far the most iconic stage of this Vuelta and generally one of the greatest rides of the season. Chapeau Primoz.

What a Vuelta from him. He gained a lot of respect from me, abandoning his "waiting for the final 500m of a mtf" tactics, not always relying on his teammates but instead making properly great attacks. Him following Bernal and winning on the Lagos de Covadonga was by far the most iconic stage of this Vuelta and generally one of the greatest rides of the season. Chapeau Primoz.
Allowing for each race being different in terms of his conditioning and his competition IMO he's always done the best he could. If he learned anything from Tour '20 it might be; train power first, then climbing. It worked for the Vuelta as evidenced by how little time he had to dedicate to a 140rpm seated spin technique. Watching his TT was validation as well. His a*s was the size of an NFL running back so he definitely didn't skimp on TT training.
It was a good Vuelta for him because of the good competition. Riders just got on with real racing for a change and took chances which the Vuelta frequently enjoys. The Tour is such a big Show that no one wants to cost themselves the race, sometimes at the expense of winning.

It's honestly like a weight has come off his shoulders after the Olympic ITT. It seemed like he had a lot of fun these 3 weeks as well.

Many congratulations to Primoz for yet another Vuelta win. He's writing history as he goes.

View: https://twitter.com/Debby_Drckx/status/1434586280755712008?s=20

E-i3LBcXsAIOVIB

E-ixbyTXIAIFDiT

This was the first GT that he finished without some sort of hindrance. In the Tour 2018 he was still "green" and he had a rock in his elbow that cost him in the final TT. 2019 Giro was a horror show from week 2 onward with him getting sick, crashing and having abbysmal team support both form the staff and riders.

2019 Vuelta had the TTT swiming pool crash, a motorbike crash on gravel of Andorra, the crosswind fail and the heavy crash in stage 19 that cost him some energy on the last mountain stage.

2020 Tour was right after that really bad Dauphine crash and he was not at 100% during the entire race, and Vuelta 2020 he was dead tired (plus some jacket mishaps). I won't even mention the disaster at the Tour this year.

But this Vuelta was finally mostly problem free. And it show on the final results. He was in good shape (though preparation was not 100% ideal - no altitude camps and such), he was stress free, the two crahes he had did not influence his form, the team was good, the decisions from the DS camp were correct and most of all, he was up to the task. I really enjoyed the race from start to finish - especially in this last week. Maybe this will put the "Roglič always fades in the 3rd week" stories to rest.

Now he should finish the season on a high - I don't think he will be at the WCs, but will definitely do the Italian classics - Lombardia is still on his list. And next year, hopefully luck is finally on his side in the Tour. If he has a good preparation and is not hindered by crashes, injuries, sickness and silly team decisions - I think he is capable of winning the Tour - even against Pogačar.

This was the first GT that he finished without some sort of hindrance. In the Tour 2018 he was still "green" and he had a rock in his elbow that cost him in the final TT. 2019 Giro was a horror show from week 2 onward with him getting sick, crashing and having abbysmal team support both form the staff and riders.

2019 Vuelta had the TTT swiming pool crash, a motorbike crash on gravel of Andorra, the crosswind fail and the heavy crash in stage 19 that cost him some energy on the last mountain stage.

2020 Tour was right after that really bad Dauphine crash and he was not at 100% during the entire race, and Vuelta 2020 he was dead tired (plus some jacket mishaps). I won't even mention the disaster at the Tour this year.

But this Vuelta was finally mostly problem free. And it show on the final results. He was in good shape (though preparation was not 100% ideal - no altitude camps and such), he was stress free, the two crahes he had did not influence his form, the team was good, the decisions from the DS camp were correct and most of all, he was up to the task. I really enjoyed the race from start to finish - especially in this last week. Maybe this will put the "Roglič always fades in the 3rd week" stories to rest.

Now he should finish the season on a high - I don't think he will be at the WCs, but will definitely do the Italian classics - Lombardia is still on his list. And next year, hopefully luck is finally on his side in the Tour. If he has a good preparation and is not hindered by crashes, injuries, sickness and silly team decisions - I think he is capable of winning the Tour - even against Pogačar.
I don’t think so. I can already envision in my head Dan Lloyd mysteriously looking into the camera with a 1000 yard stre on one of his GCN shows saying: “He does seem to fade a little bit in the last week of a grand tour, doesn’t he?”

• Angry
Reactions: southwards
Great GT by Primoz: from the start to the finish. In both TTs and mountains. His best Vuelta to date, rumours about his 3rd week weakness should be put to rest. And it's not the end of the story: maybe next year he will match Heras' record (I'm pretty sure he will target the Tour again but Vuelta is doable as well). Nobody knows where his limit is and how long he can be at the top of his game. I won't be surprised if he ends up with 5-6 GTs. He's a legend already but hungry for more.

n4EeCUg6YtfLF5v6vxX2Ui-1848-80.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Primoz hope you go one pass Heras, Roglic has Froome's killer instict that i like. I like the fact he rides 2 GT's, i know he said he would not ride at first but he fits this race like a glove he should keep doing La Vuelta every year. I mean maybe even try a Giro/Tour double if a Giro is not very hard in difficulty one year. He will pass Nibali on my list if he keeps this up for another season or two.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pogacar vs Roglic will now be the new Armstrong vs Ullrich. Armstrong is Pogacar, Ullrich is Roglic...
Nah Roglic won't be getting a one sided beat down for 5 Tours thats for sure he will head off to the Giro. I am hoping my guy Bernal is the new rival for these 2 if his back is ok he can be he was mega this season a Giro win and probably had the form for 2nd in La Vuelta if he did a few more prep races before.

Really happy for Roglic, congrats. I also hope the few who were still thinking Roglic fades in the 3rd week took note. A dominant performance. I really hope he can win a TdF to avenge 2020. It won't be easy with Pogacar but I wouldn't count him out.
Yup i never really got that look at him on Loze last year he was better than Pog. His time trial was a little underwhelming should of been 2nd but Pog just rode an elite TT. La Vuelta last year Carapaz did not go all out in the Tour so that was why he looked a little vulnerable.

2019 was crashes the fact he podiumed that race was unreal imo watching it back the other week. And then 2018 was a little bit of a choke job but again Froome a huge champion just won the Giro and was motivated to get on the podium not really a collapse when you just went all out the day before.

Congrats! I remember reading somewhere pre-tour that he'd been seen tearing it up in the mountains practicing long range attacks/endurance (due to Pog), he also said somewhere that Pog's presence has made him become a better rider. For sure he's had to learn to go from further afar if he wants/wanted to at the very least keep up with Pog.

Great GT by Primoz: from the start to the finish. In both TTs and mountains. His best Vuelta to date, rumours about his 3rd week weakness should be put to rest. And it's not the end of the story: maybe next year he will match Heras' record (I'm pretty sure he will target the Tour again but Vuelta is doable as well). Nobody knows where his limit is and how long he can be at the top of his game. I won't be surprised if he ends up with 5-6 GTs. He's a legend already but hungry for more.

n4EeCUg6YtfLF5v6vxX2Ui-1848-80.jpg

This outrageous outfit makes me believe that Roglstomp really could become some sort of European Marvel character.

TRENDING THREADS