• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 188 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Guys I'm willing to admit it...
Maybe there's some truth to Roglič losing a step or two in races with monument distance. It's happen to many times now to keep denying it.
Ganda started before they had even done 200km.

Either it's the technical nature/positioning aspect of the race that makes him lose too much energy, or Jumbo just *** up the preperation for every monument they target.

Also Pogacar was just *** strong today.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
Guys I'm willing to admit it...
Maybe there's some truth to Roglič losing a step or two in races with monument distance. It's happen to many times now to keep denying it.
He was the least fresh rider of the favourites today. When you're running on fumes, you may still have great peak power, but not at the end of longer and harder races.

Ganda started before they had even done 200km.

Either it's the technical nature/positioning aspect of the race that makes him lose too much energy, or Jumbo just *** up the preperation for every monument they target.

Also Pogacar was just *** strong today.
I know. He just wasn't the same today as he was in Emilia or Mi-To. Maybe there's also a psychological problem when he is the big favourite before a big race, but I doubt it. I think it's more him going all out in every race he races, all season long, and then he arrives to a big race a little fatigued, not in optimal condition, so he loses that edge that he had. A bit like van Aert

He was the least fresh rider of the favourites today. When you're running on fumes, you may still have great peak power, but not at the end of longer and harder races.
Pretty much. I do think he's worse at 250km races than 200km races though. That said if he really wants to win Lombardia badly he should really cut back on his schedule at the end of the season.

Planche des Belles Filles in the Tour 2020, Alto de la Covatilla in the Vuelta 2020, Liège in April & now Lombardia, i.e. that's what an out of gas Roglic looks like.

In any case, wonderful season filled with ups, downs & all around action. There's plenty to look forwards to next year.
Totally. And as the Vuelta showed, it's not a given beforehand that he runs out of steam at the end of long races, just the ones where he has been flying well before they started.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Geraint Thomas could have been a legend?
You don't think so? If he had actually won one of those instead of just a top 10, I think he would be rated much, much higher than he is now.

Yea, winning Flanders or Roubaix would have turned him into a northern classics star. He would have been percieved much differently and been a rider who everyone would have ranked much higher already before he won the Tdf.

Team and Roglic has to take something from this year preparations to both monuments (LBL and Il Lombardia). He cleary can't do two races before, all within couple days. Those races (AGR, FW, Emilia and Milan-Torino) are quite long and raced hard. And Roglic himself can't help himself but to go all out in every race. Well, result is missing legs in most important objective.

They either have to tell him to literally take races before as a training ride and not go 100% or bring him directly to monument. Or skip the race in the middle of the week or something.

The distance also seems to be a factor with him. But today he was even before 200km mark riding in the back on the climb when Pogi attacked.

How does one know they're old? When they waste the entire AM thinking Il Lombardia is tomorrow!

I just watched the replay. One race too many too soon. It's not as if he embarassed himself with a 4th. But damn, outsprinted by Yates for the last podium spot hurts!

Anyway he's given us a great season of thrills and spectacle! Thank You Primoz, enjoy a nice rest and then bring it back strong next season.

I'd like to hear about his comments from the locals who can understand/read the Slovenian press.

How does one know they're old? When they waste the entire AM thinking Il Lombardia is tomorrow!

I just watched the replay. One race too many too soon. It's not as if he embarassed himself with a 4th. But damn, outsprinted by Yates for the last podium spot hurts!

Anyway he's given us a great season of thrills and spectacle! Thank You Primoz, enjoy a nice rest and then bring it back strong next season.

I'd like to hear about his comments from the locals who can understand/read the Slovenian press.
Tbh his only chance to get somewhere in that sprint was to do the surprise attack and it was quite funny to see it work.

Pretty much. I do think he's worse at 250km races than 200km races though. That said if he really wants to win Lombardia badly he should really cut back on his schedule at the end of the season.
Totally spot on. He's been pressing his limits all season and his success could largely be attributed to the break period after the Tour crash. I don't know but he also would not be the sole donkey to pull a small group with Alaphillipe back to his Countryman and then lose. Stupid and unpopular move, if he went that route. Kudos to Tadej!

Reactions: Nick2413
As for Il Lombardia. Roglič won two semi classics just before hence i am sure that he was a bit disappointed. Not winning Il Lombardia. In reality it's hard to win such races regardless of the form. All in all i am rather sure that he will get over it soon and will be able to move on.

As the season 2021 is over looking back it was a great season for Roglič. Personally, among many other moments, i will cherish the Gino moment, Basque, Tour spirit, winning Vuetla hat-trick and this last two semi classics wins where a nice end to the season. Above all i will put the gold Olympic ITT medal. That is just once in a lifetime moment for a cyclist in his position and this is in my opinion the main highlight of this season.

As for the season 2022. From GT point of view i would like to see a great Tour edition. A Giro-Vuelta double would do it for me too. Likely to participate in two monuments. Some work left to do regarding finishes. In 2021 season he came rather drained already to both. This could hence improve. Some week long racing in spring ...

Keep on the good work a legend and see you in the next season!

As for Il Lombardia. Roglič won two semi classics just before hence i am sure that he was a bit disappointed. Not winning Il Lombardia. In reality it's hard to win such races regardless of the form. All in all i am rather sure that he will get over it soon and will be able to move on.

As the season 2021 is over looking back it was a great season for Roglič. Personally, among many other moments, i will cherish the Gino moment, Basque, Tour spirit, winning Vuetla hat-trick and this last two semi classics wins where a nice end to the season. Above all i will put the gold Olympic ITT medal. That is just once in a lifetime moment for a cyclist in his position and this is in my opinion the main highlight of this season.

As for the season 2022. From GT point of view i would like to see a great Tour edition. A Giro-Vuelta double would do it for me too. Likely to participate in two monuments. Some work left to do regarding finishes. In 2021 season he came rather drained already to both. This could hence improve. Some week long racing in spring ...

Keep on the good work a legend and see you in the next season!
Even more many were counting him out for the Olympic TT.

TRENDING THREADS