• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Personally i gravitated towards doing Giro in 2022 and after Giro to decide which double to do in 2022. But i must say now that Tour organiser made Tour 2022 really appealing for Roglič. Now obviously if it is appealing for Roglič it is appealing for Pogačar too. But still it's tailor made for Roglič. Hence likely the Tour will be the all in option in 2022 for Roglič. Some hard decisions to be made during the winter.

We'll see.

As for van Aert. Realistically van Aert could be riding his own race on stage 5. Knowing JV. Hopefully they will come with the plan and try to take 2 minutes from Pogačar on week 1. Stage 5 has potential for that. Unless i guess they leave Roglič behind and van Aert does his own thing. Then likely a lost opportunity involved.

We'll see.

The part where they lost time. That for sure was not the initial plan. But the final TT was the plan all along. They more or less confirmed that in some post race interviews. Hence being a "protected" rider by JV could be perceived as exploitation of the hospitality. From being a human point of view. From Tour point of view obviously you can't blame them. They did the right thing by exploiting the weakens that Roglič forgot to stomp upon. It's life. You learn as you go. Hence i wouldn't hold that against Roglič.

P.S. As for the claim Roglič cracked mentally at Il Lombardia. The thought from the article above. I don't buy that for a second. That is a rather superficial take on it and more importantly a wrong one.
Yeah I'm sure Roglic could have dropped Pogacar at will.

Private ceremony was held in Goriška Brda where Primož Roglič and Lora Klinc exchanged their wedding vows in front of their close friends and family. It was a warm autumn day. Bride wore a classical wedding dress with a veil. Best man was his ex ski jumping coach. Elvis Presley, Can't help falling in love with you was the preferred tune.

Congratulations!

The point is Pogačar likely could. Or at least try. But that was not the plan as the plan was to enjoy the hospitality and to burn the house down on TT.
That's a *** story from UAE. Nobody at planet Earth knew that Pogacar is going to beat Roglic in the TT, let alone beat him by 2 minutes. They were pretty evenly matched throughout the Tour, with Roglic looking just a little bit stronger. But Rogla was a major favorite for the overall before that stage, and no talk from Pog, Matxin or whoever could convince me that they wanted exactly this situation.

Reactions: Luthor and Carols
That's a *** story from UAE. Nobody at planet Earth knew that Pogacar is going to beat Roglic in the TT, let alone beat him by 2 minutes. They were pretty evenly matched throughout the Tour, with Roglic looking just a little bit stronger. But Rogla was a major favorite for the overall before that stage, and no talk from Pog, Matxin or whoever could convince me that they wanted exactly this situation.
So you're telling me you don't believe Pogacar got dropped for the lulz on Col de la Loze?

The thing is if they wouldn't say anything at all it would still be rather obvious. Why? Because that is exactly how i would do it. It was their only chance. If Pogačar would take yellow earlier he would be a sitting duck. And if the relationship in between Roglič and Pogačar would be like the one in between Roglič and Nibali on Giro. The plan would have never worked.

The thing is if they wouldn't say anything at all it would still be rather obvious. Why? Because that is exactly how i would do it. It was their only chance. If Pogačar would take yellow earlier he would be a sitting duck. And if the relationship in between Roglič and Pogačar would be like the one in between Roglič and Nibali on Giro. The plan would have never worked.
Hwo would Pogacar be a sitting duck in yellow. He only has to watch Roglic. It's not like Jumbo magically start riding so differently if Pogacar is 2 seconds ahead.

So many explanations that don't pass the sniff test

Gotta hand it to the Tour organisers. It shows they have a long cycling tradition and know what they are doing. That is we would likely talk for ages, on when Roglič or Pogačar will be pudgy enough to undertake PR. They rather said why on earth would you want to do that. Lets do it now and while they are in top form. By combining Tour and PR together. Obviously they likely killed the GC race in week 1 but still.

When Aru was in yellow by a few seconds in 2017, Sky went all crazy on the Foix stage, so I don't think that's necessarily true.
Landa joining the Contador attack was natural and would've made sense in any case. And Froome was attacking simply because he felt better than on the Peyragudes stage.

Like look at how much Astana waited around for Tinkoff to do the work in the 2015 Giro.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe, but ideal scenario would be talking yellow as late as possible, but before the ITT, like on Cole dela Loze. There's no way anyone knew we're going to witness ride of the century!

Jani Brajkovič knew :D. He tweeted couple of minutes before TT that we should prepare for a shocker (something along those lines, i.e. Pogacar will take yellow). If that was based on some inside info or it was just a lucky hunch, I don't know.

I believe Peiper once said that Tadej taking yellow at the TT was the ideal scenario, but they never expected it to really happen really. They were still encouraging Tadej, but I dont think anyone in the UAE camp expected that 2020 victory, including Tadej.

Regarding the Roglic/Pogacar relationship: to me as a fan of Tadej it is clear that things are below zero.

In an interview last month Urska described the atmosphere at the worlds in Imola as being very hostile. She and Tadej were made to believe they had done something wrong and they as a result were feeling guilty about the tour win. Urska said she did not leave Tadejs side the whole week because of the hostility.

At this worlds, things were clearly not ok still within the slovenian team. Roglic coming way later than the rest. Roglic stayed as far as he could from Tadej. From riding to the start podium to not working well in the back group. Resulting in a clearly very frustrated Tadej after the finish…

So for the outside world it may look as if Roglic has been good about losing that tour, but not sure if it is that way. There seems a lot of bitterness. Which I understand in a way but at the end Tadej did nothing wrong In my opinion.

Maybe Pog was just careful not going into red on that climb and watching the watts, but why would you give away seconds if you could probably follow. Only if there is a plan ahead?

The simple explanation, if not going the conspiracy route, is that he just recovered better and had more left in the tank compared to everyone else. He had a super-day and good legs. He made a similar ride this year when he attacked from far and his recent Lombardia win was arguably one too.

We choose what we believe and dont believe, but that can be discussed elsewhere.

Never forget

EiSnA85WkAAmSff.jpeg

At this worlds, things were clearly not ok still within the slovenian team. Roglic coming way later than the rest. Roglic stayed as far as he could from Tadej. From riding to the start podium to not working well in the back group. Resulting in a clearly very frustrated Tadej after the finish…

So for the outside world it may look as if Roglic has been good about losing that tour, but not sure if it is that way. There seems a lot of bitterness. Which I understand in a way but at the end Tadej did nothing wrong In my opinion.

Roglic explained why he was late (held up on the journey) and that because of all the sitting while being held up he had back cramps in the race very early as a result of his TdF fall. In the week between the RR and TT he has time to recover and stretch his back and sit and ride without pain.

So many people project how they'd feel onto others behavior. Maybe I just don't get bitter when someone beats me :).

Reactions: Sciatic
Now that we know what Pogacar is capable of, Tadej and Primoz definitely go into this winter knowing their rivalry is „Armstong vs Ullrich 2.0“...

Primoz is like, „Next year I‘ll beat him at the TdF, finally“, and Tadej is like, „He‘ll never be in Yellow in Paris as long as I ride the TdF“.

So Tadej is Lance, Primoz is Ulle. In 1.0, Lance always won. In 2.0, we‘ll see if Primoz has a chance once.

Since I suppose Tadej is going for six wins in a row, Primoz might be too old when Tadej switches his focus to Giro and Vuelta...

Now that we know what Pogacar is capable of, Tadej and Primoz definitely go into this winter knowing their rivalry is „Armstong vs Ullrich 2.0“...

Primoz is like, „Next year I‘ll beat him at the TdF, finally“, and Tadej is like, „He‘ll never be in Yellow in Paris as long as I ride the TdF“.

So Tadej is Lance, Primoz is Ulle. In 1.0, Lance always won. In 2.0, we‘ll see if Primoz has a chance once.

Since I suppose Tadej is going for six wins in a row, Primoz might be too old when Tadej switches his focus to Giro and Vuelta...
Dream on!

We will see. I feel that Primoz will win the Tour. Not sure if against Pog and what year though. He's too good not to win it and he should have 2-3 good chances left.

Reactions: Rackham and Carols