• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The claim was Roglič is Contador of the current generation.

You can't map 1:1. I can agree with that. But in the gist of it Roglič is Contador of the current generation. Pogačar is currently considered not only to be Froome of his generation, but Eddy. As Roglič has already beaten Pogačar on a GT, week long race, monument and some semi-classics. There is no special reason to consider Roglič any less than that. In addition Contador himself choose Rogličes wheel on that stage we all still remember. Hence the man himself choose Roglič as being the lineal Contador.

Let's be realistic. Primoz is no Contador and never will be. Just like Contador is no Eddy and never would have been.

Roglic is Roglic and he's building his own Very Worthy legacy that hopefully will stand the test of time. That should be enough for even the most ardent fan.

Let's be realistic. Primoz is no Contador and never will be. Just like Contador is no Eddy and never would have been.

Roglic is Roglic and he's building his own Very Worthy legacy that hopefully will stand the test of time. That should be enough for even the most ardent fan.
Same for me. I like both guys why even care who's better. Actually the same for riders I don't like. Don't particularly care if Roglic say eclipses Froome or not.

Lol I just don’t understand comparisons you make I guess. In addition to Contador being a completely different sort of rider than Roglic, I would also say that you can’t compare Froome to Pogacar. Pogacar is already a double monument winner and has shown himself to be a more varied winner imo. He has much more natural talent….imo.

Roglič and Pogačar are too similar. To make such distinction. That is to claim one is Eddy and the other one is nowhere near that. If Pogačar is much more then Froome then Roglič is easily at least a Contador of this generation.

If Roglič would get his bike at 12, then who really knows, we might be talking about Eddy. Would the pro cycling world survive that? Around two decades of Slovenian Eddies? Just when one would hang his bike on the wall ... IMHO it could be a bit unfair. Anyway. Roglič has (had) a chance to beat Eddy on the road. And it's not like he hasn't done that yet. I have no special reason to believe he won't do that again in the future.

As for the Contador. If Roglič can keep up his current level for 3 more seasons. Then objectively their careers will be considered of a similar caliber.

With Pogacar and a fan. Really liking the hint of mustaches

FGHtcrGXoAQZFZy

I don't think it's 'just' a fan. Isn't that former (junior) rider Manfredi?

But yes, he probably is a fan now. :)

Ah yes, thanks for the info. Apparently he was a very promising young Italian cyclist and got hit by a car while training. Very tragic.
I found an article here:

And some more recent news

FB6WBxcXEAA_FL3.jpg

World championship route(s) looks like as being rather suited for Roglič. Considering he might not do Vuelta in 2022 the time frame for preparation is in my opinion good. Now the biggest question i guess is if he won't do Vuelta, which two GTs is he doing in 2022.
What on Earth are you talking about? He never said he won’t do Vuelta next hear and he never said he was going to do two GTs…

What are you suggesting then. He won't do the Tour?
Did I miss some kind of an announcement he was doing Giro?

No - I’m saying his primary target is the Tour, which is in line with what he’s saying and what his team is saying. As far as I know they did not specifically declare they won’t be doing Giro but if they do it, they’ll be contradicting their claims of Tour being their primary target. I don’t think (and nobody else does) they can realistically expect to have a good Tour after the Giro - especially taking into consideration next year’s Giro route and (even more especially) knowing the fact that Pogi won’t be doing Giro…

And one more thing… I would love for Roglic to do both the Giro and the Tour and if he was 25 it could be a good idea. But given his age and not that many opportunities left to win TDF and thinking that 2019 might prove to be his biggest chance to win the Tour in his career - I don’t think he should (or will) take his chances trying to do both.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyclistAbi
If he's going to the Giro it means that he basically admits he doesn't stand a chance against Pogacar, no way it will happen next year without even trying to beat him at the Tour, maybe in 2023 if he's going to loose fair and square in next year's Tour but IMHO he should try at least a couple of times before giving up since something could happen also to Pogacar, like crashes or a dip in shape that's not unusual in riders that are at the top already at very young age. And not forget that Pogacar hinted that in the coming years going to the Giro is a possibility on the table so in that case there will be a door open to win the Tour.

Anyway riding the Vuelta after the Tour is pretty likely, he likes the race, it suit him very well and there is less pressure there.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS