• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 206 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is a very measured 'careful' interview IMO regarding next year's Tour (& WvA's own green ambitions): Primož Roglič: I can share Tour de France green, yellow jersey ambitions with Wout van Aert - VeloNews.com

This part in particular:

“Anything is possible. We can get green and yellow – and the polka dot jersey for Sepp Kuss – but we have to determine what our main goal is, and then we have to make a plan that works for the two of us,” Roglič said.

i.e. of course the team could aim to win any of the jerseys (even Polka), but there must be a "main objective".

This is a very measured 'careful' interview IMO regarding next year's Tour (& WvA's own green ambitions): Primož Roglič: I can share Tour de France green, yellow jersey ambitions with Wout van Aert - VeloNews.com

This part in particular:

i.e. of course the team could aim to win any of the jerseys (even Polka), but there must be a "main objective".
Roglic is obviously concerned about losing (bonus) seconds in the stage finishes that suit them both:

"We have to find a way so he can go for a stage win and I can try to get some time at the same time. We have to think about that carefully.""

Roglic is obviously concerned about losing (bonus) seconds in the stage finishes that suit them both:

"We have to find a way so he can go for a stage win and I can try to get some time at the same time. We have to think about that carefully.""
A terrifying rebus. Yellow has to be the number one goal and, if bonus seconds matter, then it would be insane to allow Van Aert to take precious seconds from Roglic that could win him the Tour.

Did I miss some kind of an announcement he was doing Giro?

No - I’m saying his primary target is the Tour, which is in line with what he’s saying and what his team is saying. As far as I know they did not specifically declare they won’t be doing Giro but if they do it, they’ll be contradicting their claims of Tour being their primary target. I don’t think (and nobody else does) they can realistically expect to have a good Tour after the Giro - especially taking into consideration next year’s Giro route and (even more especially) knowing the fact that Pogi won’t be doing Giro…

And one more thing… I would love for Roglic to do both the Giro and the Tour and if he was 25 it could be a good idea. But given his age and not that many opportunities left to win TDF and thinking that 2019 might prove to be his biggest chance to win the Tour in his career - I don’t think he should (or will) take his chances trying to do both.

It comes down to a decision in the end. Does Roglič ever want to attempt Giro-Tour double or not. Considering his age the opportunity to attempt Giro-Tour double is realistically narrowing down. Possibly in 22 or 23 season. Beyond that i doubt it. As Roglič can't say i will do it a couple of years from now, like Pogačar has said. Giro yes, Giro-Tour double no. The facts are Roglič did 2 GTs per season in the past 3 seasons. For Pogačar we assume he could be good at that. For Roglič we know he is good at that. Winner of Tour 2022 likely won't do Vuelta 2022. WC 2022 is something Roglič likely won't be able to ignore, considering the revealed route. Likely Roglič is waiting for Vuelta 2022 route to be presented. And to make final decisions.

The funny thing about it is if both Pogačar and Garnbret would get Laureus. You really couldn't argue all that much as that being unfair. Especially Garnbret. Achieving everything there is to achieve in competitive climbing by the age of 22. And already to be considered to be the GOAT. It's just hard to top that.

The funny thing about it is if both Pogačar and Garnbret would get Laureus. You really couldn't argue all that much as that being unfair. Especially Garnbret. Achieving everything there is to achieve in competitive climbing by the age of 22. And already to be considered to be the GOAT. It's just hard to top that.
Problem is Laureus awards heavily favor certain sports. For it heavily favors tennis players, and for the men, Formula 1 as well. They just seem to occasionally nominate the TdF winner for the main award, but preferably just for the breakthrough award.

Basically I think Max Verstappen will get it.

Problem is Laureus awards heavily favor certain sports. For it heavily favors tennis players, and for the men, Formula 1 as well. They just seem to occasionally nominate the TdF winner for the main award, but preferably just for the breakthrough award.

Basically I think Max Verstappen will get it.

I also think Verstappen will get it but at least considering the sports that I follow it should have been between Djokovic and Pogačar and I would have given it to the Slovenian given his age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I also think Verstappen will get it but at least considering the sports that I follow it should have been between Djokovic and Pogačar and I would have given it to the Slovenian given his age.
Pogacar had the best cycling year since at least Pantani in 1998. In that time men's tennis has had 7 years of one player winning 3/4 Grand Slams.

Would easily pick both of them over Verstappen though

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to his last IG pics, Primoz grew an Alaphilippe moustache. Maybe he has been told, „You will not win Fleche Wallonne without weird moustache!“.

Alaphilippe and Roglic have handsome faces without moustache. Maybe they grow moustaches to look terrible, to not go to the discotheque, not go partying. David Millar once explained he cut away all his hair, to look ugly. So he didn‘t have to go partying, and could concentrate on his training. :)

According to his last IG pics, Primoz grew an Alaphilippe moustache. Maybe he has been told, „You will not win Fleche Wallonne without weird moustache!“.

They have performed sophisticated simulations proving that Primoz with moustache has a better chance to beat Tadej at the Tour (countering Pog's aero-helmets). Marginal gains!

TRENDING THREADS