• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 225 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In my eyes that either means JV is incompetent to let one of their two most important riders start with an injury, or just a lie.

Do you seriously believe most of the peloton is riding 100% healthy? Didn't you among other watch the mummy series? The (harsh) reality is most of the time and most of the riders on this level have some health issues they need to ignore. Otherwise there would just be no (meaningful) peloton.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you seriously believe most of the peloton is riding 100% healthy? Didn't you among other watch the mummy series? The (harsh) reality is most of the time and most of the riders on this level have some health issues they need to ignore.
Why would a rider of Roglic' calibre need to ignore an injury for a race like Itzulia? That's not the race that's going to make his season. There are way bigger goals ahead. Why would he and his team risk worsening an injury for a for Roglic insignificant race? We aren't talking about a 3rd or 4th tier GC rider here, but about someone who clearly is the 2nd best GC rider in the world.

@Bonimenier

Personally i actually agree he could have skipped Itzulia this year (not related to health). But i understand on why he choose to participate. Among other things being the best one week stage racer you likely take what is considered to be the hardest one week stage race rather seriously? But OK. Why don't they just ignore everything else and focus on the Tour. Tour is a race of high (safety) risk. You first must show up healthy and stay healthy for 3 weeks. On such race there is a slim chance of achieving that and hence betting the whole season on one race can leave you rather empty handed. And for somebody like Rogla winning just the Tour is in my opinion not enough for one season. But OK. Why did he still went and participated. Knowing he strained a muscle just a week before. If you feel the answer to such question is clear then what do you recon. He likely won't be at 100%, health and form vise, as for the question.

Should he do La Flèche Wallonne in 10 days time or not?

@Bonimenier

Personally i actually agree he could have skipped Itzulia this year (not related to health). But i understand on why he choose to participate. Among other things being the best one week stage racer you likely take what is considered to be the hardest one week stage race rather seriously? But OK. Why don't they just ignore everything else and focus on the Tour. Tour is a race of high (safety) risk. You first must show up healthy and stay healthy for 3 weeks. On such race there is a slim chance of achieving that and hence betting the whole season on one race can leave you rather empty handed. And for somebody like Rogla winning just the Tour is in my opinion not enough for one season. But OK. Why did he still went and participated. Knowing he strained a muscle just a week before. If you feel the answer to such question is clear then what do you recon. He likely won't be at 100%, health and form vise, as for the question.

I'm not a visionary, I don't know how he'll feel in 10 days.

@Bonimenier

Just the Tour?:D
I think winning “just the Tour” should satisfy Rogla’s ambitions for the season just fine…

Just the Tour?:D
I think winning “just the Tour” should satisfy Rogla’s ambitions for the season just fine…
Totally agree. I am sure Rogla’s pain from 2020 won’t be eased until he wins the TdF.

With Pogi he still has his work cut out but I think many fans would love to be proven wrong. I also think it’s a great story how he came from another sport with completely different physiological demands and has already established himself as one of the two best GC riders in the world.

As for his injury I hope he makes the right decision. It will be difficult to decide at his age (32). He hasn’t been in the sport very long but he isn’t young and doesn’t have the career longevity ahead of him that Pogacar does. But it might be worth skipping his ambitions for 2022 to maximise the rest of his career?

It wouldn't. Just look at Pogi schedule. The season really isn't just about the Tour. Tour is the icing on the cake. But first you still need a cake.

The season isn't just about the Tour but for someone that already won so many races but never the Tour, it is the cake. Pogačar's case is different as he already won the Tour 2 times and has plenty of time to win again but even in his case its still the main goal of the season

It wouldn't. Just look at Pogi schedule. The season really isn't just about the Tour. Tour is the icing on the cake. But first you still need a cake.
For Roglič, Tour is currently the cake, the icing and everything in between. That is my understanding of his situation that is most likey shared by the majority of cycling fans. That is not to say that other events are not worthy of his attention, it's just that he pretty much succeded in everything else. Tour is the most important event lacking in his current palmares and it's the most highly appreciated trophy in cycling. Of course it's by far his most important goal of the season and it's something his entire season is planned around. And certainly he would sacrifice Itzulia if he believed he would have better chance at the Tour victory that way...

For Roglič, Tour is currently the cake, the icing and everything in between. That is my understanding of his situation that is most likey shared by the majority of cycling fans. That is not to say that other events are not worthy of his attention, it's just that he pretty much succeded in everything else. Tour is the most important event lacking in his current palmares and it's the most highly appreciated trophy in cycling. Of course it's by far his most important goal of the season and it's something his entire season is planned around. And certainly he would sacrifice Itzulia if he believed he would have better chance at the Tour victory that way...

Nah. It's not everything. Maybe we the fans exaggerate and say it's everything. But it really isn't. Personally i am rather happy he won PN this year. This is already a nice cake. La Flèche Wallonne would count for some nice icing. But it's not the end of the world if he skips it this year. Due to health issues. We'll see.

As for the Tour. It will come. Not being the first and not the last great thing to come from Rogla.

Nah. It's not everything. Maybe we the fans exaggerate and say it's everything. But it really isn't. Personally i am rather happy he won PN this year. This is already a nice cake. La Flèche Wallonne would count for some nice icing. But it's not the end of the world if he skips it this year. Due to health issues. We'll see.

As for the Tour. It will come. Not being the first and not the last great thing to come from Rogla.
You think PN is the cake and not Tour de France?

You think PN is the cake and not Tour de France?

It was missing from the collection. And considering what happened last year. And considering what was happening in the previous years in France. It's a nice (Paris Nice) cake. Likely has a bit less carbs then the Tour one.

Then in Itzulia. Although Primož didn't win. When he stood there on the presentation stage. The way crowd cheered. That is some serious icing right there.

As for the Tour. It will come. No need to force it. It's not going anywhere. Tour awaits for the champions and the champions awaits for the Tour. It goes without saying.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
It was missing from the collection. And considering what happened last year. And considering what was happening in the previous years in France. It's a nice (Paris Nice) cake. Likely has a bit less carbs then the Tour one.

Then in Itzulia. Although Primož didn't win. When he stood there on the presentation stage. The way crowd cheered. That is some serious icing right there.

As for the Tour. It will come. No need to force it. It's not going anywhere. Tour awaits for the champions and the champions awaits for the Tour. It goes without saying.
Well I guess a lot if it depends on your personal beliefs and world view...

I believe it takes exceptional amount of hard work, sacrifice, talent and favourable circumstances to claim TDF throne. And even all those things in most cases are not enough. To "not force it" is not not to get it. Noone wins TDF by not forcing it - it just seems that way from the outside world but believe me, every TDF winner forced his way to the top podium spot.

Another question is how much external pressure riders are willing to subject themselves to. That's why we've got all this "we'll go day-by-day", "we're here to have fun", "we're not racing for result" bull.... . If that was ever really the case, noone would pay riders millions just to ride a bike and enjoy themselves.

In my eyes that either means JV is incompetent to let one of their two most important riders start with an injury, or just a lie.
Don't think it's a lie, because his participation was in question just a few days before the start of Itzulia. I don't know why they let him ride, if he's injured and clearly suffering... They are so careful with WvA, but can't say the same about Primoz. If things don't improve drastically, then maybe it's better if he skips FV and LBL.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
So went from muscle strain behind knee to "knee pain." That's not good at all.

Honestly, though, it would be fine if he didn't race again until the Dauphine. That's only 6 weeks, and throw in an altitude camp before that and he should be ready for the Tour.

All this talk about the Tour not being his Moby ***...sorry, it is, and should be. He's got 2-3 years max left at top level, and winning a Tour would cement his place among the best stage racers of his generation. 3 Vueltas are great, even amazing, but adding a Tour would do justice to his talent and evident work ethic. It would really be a shame if he retired without a Tour win, IMO.

Fleche is Fleche with or without Rog. Still I wanted to see a great Rog launch it at 500m

It was going to be one of my most anticipated 500 meters of the season. And I think Rog would wait a bit longer this time, especially with Pog in the race.

Prime Alaphilippe versus Pogacar versus Roglic on the Mur de Huy would make sitting through the pointless hours before the final 2 minutes of the race worth it.

Oh well.

TRENDING THREADS