• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 240 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He lost some of that time waiting for Roglic, before he was captain, and the rest on a day where he crashed. After that he gained time back, in the second half of the race.

He recovered a bit of time (around 25 seconds) in the last time trial because Pogačar took it easy. I am also sure that it wasn't entirely due to the crash that he lost 3:20min for Pogačar that day and 30 seconds the next day plus he was also beaten in the first TT and the two Pyrenean stages.

This man has transcended bad luck and flown off into a whole different realm of suck. Seriously? Crashing because the rider in front of you is taken down by a fcking hay bale pushed into the middle of the road by whatever fcking reason, while most of your teammates are already committed to helping the other leader chase? Rotten, rotten luck. And the most annoying thing is Pogi in the middle of this just having a laugh and cruising to the line with no incidents whatsoever.

I'm hesitant to blame the team before I know more details, but I will say it does look bad how he was chasing alone for a while right at the back of the yellow jersey's group. I understand that Vingegaard is all the rage now, but this is PRIMOZ ROGLIC we are talking about, the guy who won 3 Vueltas, podium'ed Giro & Tour and won countless other races. I don't care that Jonas has been marginally better uphill in prep races, when Primoz is in trouble you should throw everything you have at making sure he loses as little time as possible.

Still, races are confusing, communications may not work properly, and decisions need to be taken in a split second with limited information. I hope for JV's sake that Jonas delivers, and for our sake that Primoz can continue the race and stomp his authority on it in some way before the fourth Vuelta revenge.

I think the part that makes this by far the way worst moment in his TdF career is the fact Jumbo knew about this stage & had months & months of preparation. It was literally 'the' danger stage & they still mucked it up.

It's as if the Titanic had received an ice warning in October 1911 & still went full steam ahead crazy because "let's do it our way" & wishful thinking supersedes reality. Jumbo are out of their minds in this TdF.

He lost some of that time waiting for Roglic, before he was captain, and the rest on a day where he crashed. After that he gained time back, in the second half of the race.

He was blown to pieces on Le Grand-Bornand like everyone else. Even in this latest Dauphiné where according to social media Jonas was "by far the strongest", Rogla still put 30 seconds into him in the ITT.

Jonas is screwed versus Pogacar. Especially if he panics over whose bike to ride.

While I was not able to see neither Rogla nor Haig from the moto replay of the crash, it was pointed out on twitter that you can see them from the heli when Vingegaard's group rides past them. Haig is standing on his bike and a teammate of his is riding in the opposite direction of the race, while Rogla is walking to the side of the road. It's on the right side of the road just after the roundabout.

EDIT:

Y1RCZup.png

Last edited:
I think the part that makes this by far the way worst moment in his TdF career is the fact Jumbo knew about this stage & had months & months of preparation. It was literally 'the' danger stage & they still mucked it up.

It's as if the Titanic had received an ice warning in October 1911 & still went full steam ahead crazy because "let's do it our way" & wishful thinking supersedes reality. Jumbo are out of their minds in this TdF.

He was blown to pieces on Le Grand-Bornand like everyone else. Even in this latest Dauphiné where according to social media Jonas was "by far the strongest", Rogla still put 30 seconds into him in the ITT.

Jonas is screwed versus Pogacar. Especially if he panics over whose bike to ride.
You cannot be serious. Lack of preparation? It was a complete freak accident which happend 5 kilometres after Vingegaard lost his chain and made the worst bikeswap in history! Everything was up in the air.

You cannot be serious. Lack of preparation? It was a complete freak accident which happend 5 kilometres after Vingegaard lost his chain and made the worst bikeswap in history! Everything was up in the air.

Yet Roglic was de-facto leader on the road at that point & the team was nowhere. Where were his teammates? Why was the leader alone? Made no sense. It's crazy to say "we're all in for Jonas" & commit all the teammates (except Laporte at that point) to help Vingegaard & leave Rogla completely without support.

Then add the fact he was right behind the Vingegaard group after his crash (as we've been repeating again & again) & they still screwed him.

Nah, this was sh*t. There isn't a single other 'cycling champion' who'd be expected to swallow this sort of garbage & take it on the chin.

He was, but unlike the others, he had crashed severely. His shoulder looked completely *** when he crossed the line. My point is just that I don't think he is as useless as a captain as topt is making him out to be. I think he was quite impressive last year when he became captain.

Before the race I thought Roglic would have a better chance at challenging Pogacar (even though I think Vingegaard could have dropped him at the Dauphine), but now I see Jonas as their best bet.

While I was not able to see neither Rogla nor Haig from the moto replay of the crash, it was pointed out on twitter that you can see them from the heli when Vingegaard's group rides past them. Haig is standing on his bike and a teammate of his is riding in the opposite direction of the race, while Rogla is walking to the side of the road. It's on the right side of the road just after the roundabout.

EDIT:

Y1RCZup.png
Great, telling photo. My first guess is no one from JV knew about this until they'd gotten another 2 minutes down the road. Then you have to decide what to do and Tadej is getting towed away. Not even on the cobbles...just being behind another crasher is how I got my final crash.

Yet Roglic was de-facto leader on the road at that point & the team was nowhere. Where were his teammates? Why was the leader alone? Made no sense. It's crazy to say "we're all in for Jonas" & commit all the teammates (except Laporte at that point) to help Vingegaard & leave Rogla completely without support.

Then add the fact he was right behind the Vingegaard group after his crash (as we've been repeating again & again) & they still screwed him.

Nah, this was sh*t. There isn't a single other 'cycling champion' who'd be expected to swallow this sort of garbage & take it on the chin.
It was a clusterfuck, a war-zone. Van Aert was already caught behind the peloton when Vingegaard dropped his chain (just before that they were five riders in the peloton and three riders in Van Aert's group). Van Hooydonck correctly stops immediately from the front group, and then the cartoonish bike-swaps happen.

Reactions: Lui98 and inri2000
This man has transcended bad luck and flown off into a whole different realm of suck. Seriously? Crashing because the rider in front of you is taken down by a fcking hay bale pushed into the middle of the road by whatever fcking reason, while most of your teammates are already committed to helping the other leader chase? Rotten, rotten luck. And the most annoying thing is Pogi in the middle of this just having a laugh and cruising to the line with no incidents whatsoever.

I'm hesitant to blame the team before I know more details, but I will say it does look bad how he was chasing alone for a while right at the back of the yellow jersey's group. I understand that Vingegaard is all the rage now, but this is PRIMOZ ROGLIC we are talking about, the guy who won 3 Vueltas, podium'ed Giro & Tour and won countless other races. I don't care that Jonas has been marginally better uphill in prep races, when Primoz is in trouble you should throw everything you have at making sure he loses as little time as possible.

Still, races are confusing, communications may not work properly, and decisions need to be taken in a split second with limited information. I hope for JV's sake that Jonas delivers, and for our sake that Primoz can continue the race and stomp his authority on it in some way before the fourth Vuelta revenge.

Danes have a history with farcial bike problems in the Tour, see Riis and Rasmussen, but usually it's in the TT :D At least in this case it didn't cost Vingegaard too many seconds in the end.

I feel really bad for Roglic having bad luck yet again, a loose bale of hay should never be allowed to be a factor in a race at this high of a level. Speaking from experience throwing your shoulder out like that is extremely painful, very brave ride from him to get back with relatively limited losses. That being said, those blaming the team for not going all in on trying to drag him back are being emotional. You simply don't put all your eggs in the basket of an injured rider when you have another guy only seconds behind the main contender.

He recovered a bit of time (around 25 seconds) in the last time trial because Pogačar took it easy. I am also sure that it wasn't entirely due to the crash that he lost 3:20min for Pogačar that day and 30 seconds the next day plus he was also beaten in the first TT and the two Pyrenean stages.
I agree that Pogacar looked stronger overall, even in the second half of the race. We don't know how much he would have lost if not for the crash. We know that on the days he didn't crash, he matched Pogacar completely, at least untill the last 100 meters. Even dropped him once. Was also momentarily dropped himself, but recovered. Point is, in the second half of the race he was very very close to Pogacars level.

What a crap thing to happen. That ruined rhe stage a bit for me.
Exactly. It's not just that he crashed and lost time again. It's the way that he crashed, getting thrown over the bars and dislocating the shoulder becase a hay bail got knocked on the road by a moto. So unlucky. I couldn't really enjoy the racing after that (not even if Faust Masnada won)

It all seems a conspirancy against Roglic: the stray hay, a third crash affecting the Tour, his team...but the last factor was not controlable also, chaos was unleashed and it was difficult to know what was happening. It's like confusing a real battle with a video game where you have access to all and just have to decide.

Reactions: stonerider

It all seems a conspirancy against Roglic: the stray hay, a third crash affecting the Tour, his team...but the last factor was not controlable also, chaos was unleashed and it was difficult to know what was happening. It's like confusing a real battle with a video game where you have access to all and just have to decide.

Fxxxxxk!

So i guess Rogla is going to work for the dane now here on out? you hate to see it..

He'll need to survive tomorrow's 220km classics type slog first, which based on the parallels with last year's crash doesn't bode well (he got dropped on the 250km stage last year). If he survives stage 6 without losing time, he needs to still go & try something for himself.

I mean what's he going to do for Jonas? Pull once Pog attacks? If Jonas can't follow Pog, it's all pointless anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: acm and Sandisfan

Jumbo chose in Vingegaard's favor twice: first when he had his mechanical & they pulled everyone back (bar Laporte), leaving Rog isolated up front (who even does that? It's crazy). Second when Rog was just behind the chase group after his crash & Jumbo made the 'risk management' decision to choose Vinge again, leaving Roglic pulling against WvA who was pulling for Jonas. What the actual hell was that?

Add the insane misfortune on top (something ASO should apologize for) & that's way too much for one rider to survive, no matter how brave.

Reactions: acm and Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS