• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 241 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The moment the Tour was lost:

FXAAi48WIAEe08W

Oh stop it. If he feels well he should continue 100/100 times. 2 minutes is a lot against Pogacar, but come on man. Nairoman lost 2 minutes to Froome on stage 1 in 2015. Ullrich lost +1 min on stage 1 2005. Should they give up? Ofcourse not! Did they give up? Hell no they didn't.

He can still make a massive impact this race. Stagewins, decoy, podium, heck even win the race. What the frick are you guys on about? I wonder if you guys have lost your mind sometimes.

Oh stop it. If he feels well he should continue 100/100 times. 2 minutes is a lot against Pogacar, but come on man. Nairoman lost 2 minutes to Froome on stage 1 in 2015. Ullrich lost +1 min on stage 1 2005. Should they give up? Ofcourse not! Did they give up? Hell no they didn't.

He can still make a massive impact this race. Stagewins, decoy, podium, heck even win the race. What the frick are you guys on about? I wonder if you guys have lost your mind sometimes.
Apparently Primoz also lost his mind because being the sensible person that he is he will look how he is (physically) feeling today.
Just your usual reminder that crashing at more than 50km/h AND loosing 2min can have an impact on the rest of your performance in a GT.

• Sad
Reactions: JosefK and noob
Apparently Primoz also lost his mind because being the sensible person that he is he will look how he is (physically) feeling today.
Just your usual reminder that crashing at more than 50km/h AND loosing 2min can have an impact on the rest of your performance in a GT.
Well then, just go ahead and abandon then and win yet another Vuelta. Seems rather pointless to me quite frankly.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Guys, you need to make split decisions. Wait for Roglic with Vingegaard and co. and lose what, 30-60 seconds more, or go all in with the Vingegaard-group and feed Roglic with the remaining helpers (Laporte, Hoydonck and a pretty tired Kruijswijk).

Imagine if this happened to any other team today. They would be totally screwed. Look at Ineos, only reason they are in the race still is because of Benoot and Wout. But they managed to salvage it for at least one of their leaders and lose nothing to Pogacar. And lets be honest now, do we really think Roglic is better than Vingegaard at Granon and Alpe d Huez? Because I definitely do not.

They rode an incredible race in my opinion. Great teamwork and super strong helpers. High class team performance today.

Nairo Quintana finished ahead.

Yes. Roglic will never, ever find better support that he has right now. Roglic loses P-N without Wout, and Vingegaard most likely wins Dauphine riding for another team. This Tour they have the by far best team, but he crashed in yet another freak accident.

The team was tremendous as it has been since 2020. Grass is always greener, I guess.

There was only Laporte with him before the crash and both were back in the bunch. This isn't all that great team support.

I think it's a lot harder for a team to organize this stuff then some seem to think... DS's might not have all the information in the cars, riders might not hear everything they're being told and vice versa, and there is just generally a whole lot of confusion on a stage like this. I don't think they did Roglic dirty, I think they tried the best they could to save everyone, under the circumstances.

They had a year to organize it. And in the end they went with Laporte at front as being adequate. On contrary for stage 2, 3, 4 and likely 6 ... to need the whole team and to be aggressive. They hence have put themselves under hard circumstances and then tried to save themselves. Not being all that successful at it. From the perspective of doing a better job in the first place.

I agree. I don't blame the team at all. They are doing a good job IMO. In hindsight some decisions could have been better but it's difficult to always make the right decision when it's chaos and everyone is all over the place.

I rarely blame them as a team. Today i feel that is appropriate. If they would race as on stage 2, 3 ,4, 6 ... The outcome would be better. There is just no excuse for a crash back in the bunch in a weird incident and not on a cobbles section. At that point in time the team as a whole should be positioned at front. Instead there was just Laporte there and both lost somewhere back in the bunch. This is bad team support and the rest doesn't matter all that much.

Reactions: Rackham
You cannot be serious. Lack of preparation? It was a complete freak accident which happend 5 kilometres after Vingegaard lost his chain and made the worst bikeswap in history! Everything was up in the air.

Roglič shouldn't be in such position. JV as a team should be drilling it at the front. If Vingegaard had a mechanical one helper would be left behind. They had a year to prepare for this stage and it looks like they didn't put much thought into it. And then they will drill it again tomorrow ... Just incomprehensible.

Roglič shouldn't be in such position. JV as a team should be drilling it at the front. If Vingegaard had a mechanical one helper would be left behind. They had a year to prepare for this stage and it looks like they didn't put much thought into it. And then they will drill it again tomorrow ... Just incomprehensible.
Then I suppose 3 riders trying to bring Roglic back after his crash were 2 too many as well?

@Bonimenier

I agree with you that a lot of claims in this thread in regards to stage 5 make little sense. The gist of it should in my opinion be now cleared. That is while true Roglič is a great cyclist and JV is a great team. In practice on stage 5 Roglič was left with one domestique before the crash and both were positioned back in the bunch.

As some people in this thread even go as far to praise JV for what they pulled off today. Like your question suggesting Roglič should be grateful to the team for saving him. With 3 not only 1 helpers.

Like in some parallel universe maybe. If there are universes with all options in it. In some for sure today JV did a good job. Unfortunately not in ours. By unfortunately i mean if you are a Rogla fan. Otherwise i agree that you might even believe JV did a good job today. After a whole year of preps. Way to go indeed.

TRENDING THREADS