• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 291 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not no chance by any means, but the only GT he has won he was somewhat allowed to win because he was underestimated. I don't think he's taken that leap to the top that some expected. Well off of Hindley this year in the Giro once Hindley dropped the hammer. Well off of Vingo and Pogi last year in the Tour. Plus he's leaving Ineos right? Or did I make that up? I like the guy, so I will not be disappointed if he wins. It was probably unfair to put him below Remco, but I think Remco has a higher ceiling (and a lower floor). I see it as:

1. Roglic
  2. Hindley

1. Remco (although won't be surprised if finished outside the top 10 either)
  2. Carapaz
5. Mas et al

1. Hindley
  2. Almeida
  3. Carapaz
  4. Roglic
  5. Evenepoel
Top3 will have 3 guys from those 5. The order could be randomly shuffled because imo anything can happen between those 5

Last edited:
I never said such thing - only thing I contested was your imaginary story of Roglic wanting to ride, while the doctors was against the participation.

OK so you agree Roglič is highly likely not 100% healthy.

As for the contesting. Your claim hence goes more in the direction although doctors where present at the meeting. But that was just because. Mere formality. As they could have invited lumberjacks just as well. As if we take away my imaginary story. Doctors for sure were all saying Roglič is 100% healthy and no concerns whatsoever involved in regards to Vuelta.

Could be.

So Rogla is going to Vuelta. Don't know if Dennis will be at 100%. Looking at the announced team. Not all that much to complain about. If they all can be close to their usual self. Preparations in regards to Rogla were in my opinion rather sub-optimal. Short and affected by his injury. The level of motivation to compete is inspiring, though.

I guess through the duration of Vuelta to follow strict Covid prevention regime. Not to crash and i guess to heal as weeks go by. That is some advance physiotherapy right there. Healing while riding a proper GT. Hopefully it was the right decision.

One stage at a time. Cautiously optimistic.

OK so you agree Roglič is highly likely not 100% healthy.

As for the contesting. Your claim hence goes more in the direction although doctors where present at the meeting. But that was just because. Mere formality. As they could have invited lumberjacks just as well. As if we take away my imaginary story. Doctors for sure were all saying Roglič is 100% healthy and no concerns whatsoever involved in regards to Vuelta.

Could be.
You dont make any sense as per usual.

Vertebrae don't really break into pieces they often have a small crack in them. It's not unheard of to be back in action quite quickly after a break if it's small.

Eight years ago, I was hit by a truck while training on my TT bike. Two broken vertebrae were the least of my worries, but they did heal quickly. Took another 2 years to get back to racing.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You never know what to believe in grand tour racing. This could just be posturing but I believe it. I believe he isn't 100%. With that said, he might not have to be to win this.

I just hope he gets through the race safely and in good condition. Of course we all wish that for all the riders but Roglic is a special rider. He really was the one to break the Sky/Ineos snooze fest of marginal gain racing. There is nothing marginal about Roglic. He's all or nothing and he always puts on a show.

Lets not forget Rogla had issues when trying to lift his leg above the saddle. Less than a month back. They are pushing it.

Said that lets hope for the best.
Those issues should be gone and probably part of the yard sale of bruising from his hay bale encounter, then riding aggressive afterward. Structurally he could be sound if there aren't nerve issues to hinder him. His form is #1 and how deep he'll need to go to stay in contact until form coalesces.

Best case scenario for Rog: Injuries no longer a problem but training/prep not optimal. If undercooked to start the Vuelta and he stays on his bike, he might make inroads in week 3 to challenge for top GC. Worst case scenario: Injuries flare up after a few stages and get worse through week 2; DNF.

• Wow
I fail to see the point in assuming Roglič is not healthy and is either himself forcing to go or is being forced to go by the team. And what does it even mean 100% healthy? Noone is ever 100% healthy and there is always some risk you are going to get unhealthy or injured...

The team in cooperation with medical professionals probably assesed the risk/gain (or risk/glory if you will) factors and here we go, Rogla is in the Vuelta.

I highly doubt Rogla would risk his reputation and attend the Vuelta just for the purpose of getting kms in his legs before the WC or Lombardia so we can assume he expects to be fit enough to achieve a meaningful result. And if his condition reappears or deteriorates during the race unexpectedly, we will find out about that soon enough. I really don't think we need to have a bunch ef excuses "auf lager" just in case...

@bNator

So you instead assume Primož was not injured severely at the Tour. Did have an optimal Vuelta preparation. They are hence bluffing?

Is that what you are suggesting? As some people in this thread seem to suggest that. And i don't know on what ground they base their claims on.

What is it you really want? That Roglic never races again? Your constant mollycoddling and pessimisism is getting exceptionally tiring. You're (probably) not his mother, try to act like that.

@bNator

So you instead assume Primož was not injured severely at the Tour. Did have an optimal Vuelta preparation. They are hence bluffing?

Is that what you are suggesting? As some people in this thread seem to suggest that. And i don't know on what ground they base their claims on.
Yes - that's exactly what I am assuming. Noone can even sit on his bike let alone ride with best cyclists of the world up on the good old Alpe d'Huez after being "severely injured". Noone can then resume and attend another GT a little bit more than a month after he was "severly injured".

So the only possible conclusion here is that Roglič was not "severely injured". He was injured. Apparently not enough to stop him continuing TDF for a couple of more stages and it looks like not enough to stop him attending the Vuelta.

Is he at 100%? Who knows. I don't think so, but he could be at 98% and that could prove to be enough.

Now you can twist my opinion and opinion of some other posters here all you want but hardly anyone is saying he was bluffing in TDF (though to be fair in stage 11 he was a little bit...) and hardly anyone claims he is at 100% and that his preparation for Vuelta was optimal. But guess what - that's no reason for him to sit at home and feel sorry for himself which is what you seem to be suggesting he should do...

He is likely still injured and had a sub-optimal Vuelta preparation. That is my aim. To establish that as a fact. And not that other BS some are spreading around.
We can establish that post festum. If he has a disappointing Vuelta performance then there will be two possible reasons:
  1. There are still traces of injury and he was sub-optimal prepared.
  2. He is on a irreversible demise either due to accumulated effects of injuries or age.
We will have to wait a bit more to get a clearer picture.

Of course in the meantime trolls in this chat will be having the time of their lives but I don't think that can be avoided simply by estyabslishing facts at this point - especially not based on fiction (doctors were against it, etc...)

Last edited:
@bNator

On top of that he abandoned the Tour to prepare for Vuelta? It just doesn't add up.

@Bonimenier

He is not 100% healthy. But you are claiming all along it's just the team bluff anyway. Hence i can understand on why you are insisting he is 100% healthy.
Your providing no evidence he’s not 100% healthy. And abandoning the Tour does HELP his recovery from injury to prepare for the Vuelta.

Neither do you. Zeeman said Roglic is not completely pain-free and that means he's not 100% healthy. I don't know what else you want.
For CyclistAbi to shut up about nonsense. I don’t think he’s 100% percent healthy. But that’s just my opinion that I’ve only repeated like once or twice. CyclistAbi keeps repeating it over and over with no evidence, which gets tiresome.

TRENDING THREADS