• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 330 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Correct. Roglic had just as much right to go for the win on stage 7 of the 2021 Paris-Nice, as Wright had to go for the win on stage 16 of the 2022 Vuelta a Espana. No "ancient rules" applied in either case.

If we're going to use the comparison between Tuesday's Vuelta stage & the Gino incident in Paris-Nice 2021, then Roglič was actually in the same role in both races: fighting for the overall GC victory. In Paris-Nice his actions were completely justified in order to grab the bonus seconds & extend his lead. In the Vuelta, he needed to create a gap to the bunch & possibly sprint for some bonuses on the line.

Mäder & Wright meanwhile were sideshows in the bigger picture. I know people get all p*ssed off when we say such things but the truth is the Vuelta was ruined from an entertainment perspective on Tuesday because Fred Wright sprinted hard for 4th, going through the rider sitting 2nd in GC.

When this happens to others as well (not just to Roglič), GT's will become worse. It's a known fact the jersey holders are granted more space & respect in the bunch (the yellow jersey in the TdF for example is the patron), so what happened with Roglič (& reaction to the crash) crossed a line in terms of overall disrespect to the 3x Vuelta champ.

Thinly veiled comment implying every crash could be his fault.

Pretty nasty tbh.

It is the end of the Slovenian 'public' entente cordiale in the peloton, i.e. for example Bahrain's Gorazd Štangelj was one of the coaches who replaced Andrej Hauptman after the Olympics last year. So with Mohorič throwing some nasty punches at Rog in the media, it could very well mean the door to the Slovenian national team has closed now.

Not that he was likely going to Australia anyway (due to his crash) but that's probably one of the first real consequences.

Who knows, maybe that's what Roglič wanted (i.e. he heard about Wout van Aert having to fork over 8,000 euros for his trip to Australia & thought "no way, too expensive huh" so decided to torpedo his relationship with Bahrain's Slovenian contingent).

That's a joke BTW.

If we're going to use the comparison between Tuesday's Vuelta stage & the Gino incident in Paris-Nice 2021, then Roglič was actually in the same role in both races: fighting for the overall GC victory. In Paris-Nice his actions were completely justified in order to grab the bonus seconds & extend his lead. In the Vuelta, he needed to create a gap to the bunch & possibly sprint for some bonuses on the line.

I've never said that Roglic wasn't allowed to sprint on stage 16. What I'm saying is that so was Wright!

But the problem here is, that a lot of people don't think that Wright had nowhere to go but into Roglič. Yes, it's true that Roglič doesn't have eyes at the back of his head, but that doesn't exempt him from using the ones he has at the front of it, which it seems he could have done a better job of this time around.

Also you can easily be a fan of riders without having to agree with everything they do or say. I was and still am a big fan of Samuel Sánchez, but his defense of Lance Armstrong during a 2012 Tour of Beijing interview is one of the most stupid things I've ever read.
Being a fan of someone often becomes irrational when they say things offensive to human intelligence.

Is it?

It's just a piss take cause you know you have the upper hand in public opinion.

2 wrongs don't make a right.
doubt it will unleash so much threats and havoc on Primoz's social media as TJV/Priomz statement/accusations though... this stuff can be really harmful to young people's psychological well being - we've seen it many times in the past years. so yeah, i do think TJV statement and false accusations have much more damage potential than Mohoric's piss.

Reactions: jmdirt
Reactions: jmdirt
but the truth is the Vuelta was ruined from an entertainment perspective on Tuesday because Fred Wright sprinted hard for 4th, going through the rider sitting 2nd in GC.
The Vuelta was ruined because Roglic rode into a rider that passed him without touching Roglic.

That’s just a shorter and more zoomed in clip that someone already posted of Roglic leaving his side/lane and Wright not riding through him.

TRENDING THREADS