• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 332 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't agree. This is the first clip where it really seems that Wright shoulders into Roglic. At this point it looks like Roglic is moving in a straight line, allthough he first came to the right side of the road far too hard which still makes me think that it all started by his own actions, but after watching this clip it does seem that Wright gives him a bump.
Still this might be because he felt he was getting closed into the barriers which is understandable as well.
But the second clip that was posted that is a side angle disproves this because Roglic crashes into the back of Wright’s left elbow with his left elbow and handlebar. Without being touched. And then loses control after the impact while Wright has movement with his hip after he was hit.

Reactions: jmdirt
I therefore believe that is much more likely that a human being and athlete like Primoz that always was classy and fair in victories, defeats and crashes would't suddenly change its demeanor and say such things out of spite in a statement if he didn't have strong reasons to know that he was put out of the game by Wright.
He would if he didn’t realize Wright was there, which would make sense why he felt like someone came out of nowhere and barged into him. On top of all the past issues he has had. Like others have said it just boils up at some point. But the facts don’t support that. Every angle shows Roglic leaving his line with the second and clearest one showing he crashes into Wright without being touched, after Wright rode alongside him and passed him.

I don't agree. This is the first clip where it really seems that Wright shoulders into Roglic. At this point it looks like Roglic is moving in a straight line, allthough he first came to the right side of the road far too hard which still makes me think that it all started by his own actions, but after watching this clip it does seem that Wright gives him a bump.
Still this might be because he felt he was getting closed into the barriers which is understandable as well.

Roglic shouldn't have come from the left side of the road to the right in 1 big swing like he did. He could've done that, but he should've left more space and not try to squeeze himself in between.
Wright is defending himself from a rider encroaching on his space. We've all done that in a bar when some drunk dude starts leaning on us, right?

• Haha
After watching the video @rokovski posted, I finally understand where Rogla’s opinion comes from. Let's assume that Rogla in fact did not see Wright and once he finally saw him it was too late to change his direction quick enough. Him changing the lines may not have been with intent to steal the wheel from Wright but could be his bad spatial awareness. On the other hand, Wright definitely saw Roglic and maybe could have avoided the contact. From Roglic perspective: Not only did he not avoid contact - he even used his knee to make sure he goes down. It was Wright‘s decision to risk contact while Roglič was trying to avoid the contact once he saw Wright was there but could‘t. A bit like accidentaly going into the red light and the other guy intentionally not braking. (This is just a silly theory btw, don’t go bananas on me).

But what Rogla probably fails to see is that it wasn’t as straight forward for Wright either. He was being squeezed and could not have known that Rogla finally saw him and was just about to change direction back to the left. He took self defence measures best he could in split second and the rest is history.

Last edited:
I read a lot of debates on this subject and if we start at the beginning.

A whole lot of people believe look Roglič you are not a sprinter. You should just move away and should not contest the sprint. That is why it's automatically your fault. There is surprisingly big group of people believing and saying that. There is really no merit in such opinion or much in it worth discussing. Roglič has and will continue to contest sprints.

Then there is a group that says Roglič crashes a lot. That is on why it's automatically his fault. Well the reality is he doesn't. That is the reality is all cyclist in pro peloton crash a whole lot. And this year if we take the hay bale and assistance from Bahrain sprinter incident away. And focus on his bike handling skills. A lot of other big names in this sport crashed more then Roglič. Names being considered good bike handlers.

But in my opinion this two groups of people are not really the main target. I mean their narrative needed to be put to rest at some point. That much is true. Still on why Roglič decided to speak out. First to sleep it over and to collect his thoughts. And after to make such statement.

Rogličes offense at best could be riding without do care and attention. He didn't look back and made sure nobody is there. Or maybe he did but the situation changed in a second or two. Anyway.

Wright offense is reckless riding. He was coming from behind. Has seen Rogličes trajectory. Seen there is no space left to get through safely. Instead of hitting the breaks deciding to go through regardless.

Bahrain. Their claim on how their rider didn't deviate from the line hence for them the story ends there. Some private correspondence would be rather useless.

If you drive on a highway. And notice the car in front of you will cut you off. Due to approaching your lane. If you will accelerate and hit that car from his side. Good luck with the judge.

Or in cycling if the rider in front of you deviates from the line. You don't get a free pass. That is staying in your line and crashing him out. That is not allowed. Use breaks and use him as a lead out or pass him on the other side. When the sprint begins. If you feel the rider ruined your chances of sprinting then go to official and get him relegated.

Or in more human and every day situation way of saying it. I am for sure glad you have my back if i do something stupid. And can rely on that. Especially as most of the people being vocal about it in the past days. They couldn't care less if tomorrow Roglič or Wright hits the deck again. For them it's entertainment as usual.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and acm
66017555.jpg

Roglič is coming to Piran to shot a Hollywood movie.

Rogličes offense at best could be riding without do care and attention. He didn't look back and made sure nobody is there. Or maybe he did but the situation changed in a second or two. Anyway.

Commonly referred to as... reckless riding!

Wright offense is reckless riding. He was coming from behind. Has seen Rogličes trajectory. Seen there is no space left to get through safely. Instead of hitting the breaks deciding to go through regardless.

No! It's not reckless riding to sprint. It can never be the responsibility of the person coming from behind if the person in front is deviating from his line. By that "logic", once rider hits the front, he could just start veering from side-to-side.

Or in cycling if the rider in front of you deviates from the line. You don't get a free pass. That is staying in your line and crashing him out. That is not allowed. Use breaks and use him as a lead out or pass him on the other side. When the sprint begins. If you feel the rider ruined your chances of sprinting then go to official and get him relegated.

You know what else is not allowed? Deviating from your line!

Or in more human and every day situation way of saying it. I am for sure glad you have my back if i do something stupid. And can rely on that. Especially as most of the people being vocal about it in the past days. They couldn't care less if tomorrow Roglič or Wright hits the deck again. For them it's entertainment as usual.

I feel sorry for Roglic for crashing out. I think it's a shame the Vuelta lost of of the guys with the biggest chance of challenging Evenepoel - not because I dislike Evenepoel, but because I want an exciting race - but that does not give Roglic the right to go after a guy who had done nothing wrong.

Colbrelli's offense at best could be riding without do care and attention. He didn't look back and made sure nobody is there. Or maybe he did but the situation changed in a second or two. Anyway.

Roglic's offense is reckless riding. He was coming from behind. Has seen Colbrelli's trajectory. Seen there is no space left to get through safely. Instead of hitting the breaks deciding to go through regardless.

Glad we can now apply this standard to every crash :)

Reactions: RedheadDane

as usual.
There you go again:)

I think "riding without care and attention" qualifies as reckless riding.

As per your stance on Wright, try looking at it from a different perspective (as Rogla should). Things happen quickly while on bike. Roglič's change of direction was fast and Wright was busy sprinting (same as Roglič). He too could not have noticed Roglič approaching from the side and once he did it was too late to brake.

So both were reckless? I don't think so. It is not Wright's obligation to be paying attention who may be coming from the side but it is Rogla's obligation to make sure that he can change lanes safely. Considering the fact you are not allowed to change lanes in a sprint...

Last edited:
I read a lot of debates on this subject and if we start at the beginning.

Respectfully, I don’t think you have by reading the following two paragraphs of your post.

A whole lot of people believe look Roglič you are not a sprinter. You should just move away and should not contest the sprint. That is why it's automatically your fault. There is surprisingly big group of people believing and saying that. There is really no merit in such opinion or much in it worth discussing. Roglič has and will continue to contest sprints.

Literally no one has said this. Not a single poster or post on this forum has said this. We have all said he has a right to sprint. What he doesn’t have a right to do is leave his lane and crash into someone else.

And for your paragraphs of analogies, none of that applies to what happened that stage. Using your car analogy of what actually transpired, Roglic changed lanes from the left to middle lane while Wright stayed in the right lane. Wright than started driving next to Roglic and passing him while Roglic stayed in the middle lane. While passing being passed, Roglic changed lanes and crashed into Wright’s driver and passenger door. Good luck with the judge because that is Roglic’s fault 100/100.

I love Roglic, but his complaints are coming from a guy who has crashed out of every important race in the last 3 years (not all his fault, but still...), and then jeopardizes a sure time gain over the red jersey by trying to win a meaningless sprint...I don't really think we'll ever get a definitive "truth" about his crash bc of camera angles. But the bottom line, as I've said before, is that JV could have protested but chose not to. So he only comes across as a whiner.

Literally no one has said this. Not a single poster or post on this forum has said this. We have all said he has a right to sprint. What he doesn’t have a right to do is leave his lane and crash into someone else.

Otoh, I have sure seen some people claiming that Wright shouldn't have sprinted, and "gotten in the way", because he's just a "nobody". ;)

I'd like this debate to keep going till the end of the season at least.
Just to recap:
  1. Roglic launches a blistering attack around 3km from home.
  2. Four fast men latch onto his wheel.
  3. In the finishing straight, Roglic realises it's coming down to a sprint (it is after all a sprint stage).
  4. Roglic decides to have a crack off the sprint.
  5. Roglic does a massive swing from left to right across the road to slot into the 2 cm of space between Fred and the rider ahead.
  6. Primoz and Fred do not kiss, they collide and Roglic goes down.
  7. A couple of days later, Primoz insta shames Fred.

IMHO, Primoz did not have Wright of way, but I'm open to persuasion.

TRENDING THREADS