• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 333 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic is dangerous on the bike and should look at himself. There are a lot of riders in the peloton that are fed up with his behavior on the bike. So it is mindblowing that Roglic now comes with a statement about safety in the peloton. He is one of the most reckless riders out there and should be more careful. Wright didn nothing wrong here and Roglic should apologise. Roglic has to be carefull because he is not making friends with statements like that.

I know a few Belgian riders and they try to avoid him as much as possible. That says it all imo

Roglic is dangerous on the bike and should look at himself. There are a lot of riders in the peloton that are fed up with his behavior on the bike. So it is mindblowing that Roglic now comes with a statement about safety in the peloton. He is one of the most reckless riders out there and should be more careful. Wright didn nothing wrong here and Roglic should apologise. Roglic has to be carefull because he is not making friends with statements like that.

I know a few Belgian riders and they try to avoid him as much as possible. That says it all imo
If he's so dangerous maybe they should give him more space ahaha. :tearsofjoy: Maybe Wright should avoid him too.

I don't agree. This is the first clip where it really seems that Wright shoulders into Roglic. At this point it looks like Roglic is moving in a straight line, allthough he first came to the right side of the road far too hard which still makes me think that it all started by his own actions, but after watching this clip it does seem that Wright gives him a bump.
Still this might be because he felt he was getting closed into the barriers which is understandable as well.

Roglic shouldn't have come from the left side of the road to the right in 1 big swing like he did. He could've done that, but he should've left more space and not try to squeeze himself in between.
In every video you can find there are a few things very clear:
Roglic starts on the left hand side of the road. Roglic moves right, alongside Wright and sprints along the dotted line on the road for perhaps 50 meters or so The moment Roglic crashes into Wright, you should look at where the wheels of his bike are in relation to the dotted line. The moment they touch you can see that his wheels are easily 30-40 cm to the right of the dotted line. It is not Wright who crashed into Roglic, but Roglic into Wright. There is not one video that shows the opposite. After Roglic moves towards the right, he follows the dotted line, until he doesn't and crashes.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93

Goes both ways. You somehow get a name for it and people make a point to not give you the space. Problem arises when you're the one that crashes most of the time when you butt heads.

I doubt it's gonna get better from here. Doubt Rog is gonna come back and take *** from dudes who can't outsprint Jesus frigging Herrada

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Sadly, in last years, Primoz suffered five to ten crashes (in races) a year. That‘s quite much.

I remember the case of Dominik Nerz, a good GC rider, climber and domestique of Nibali. Nerz at one point in his career crashed in almost every race he rode. He then had enough and finished his career. He felt that these crashes and slight concussions damaged his brain and mind, and he couldn‘t stand any more to work hard in training, just to see everything get destroyed in the races, by the crashes.

The speeds in the pro pelotons are so high, that every crash does a certain damage.

I wouldn‘t know what to advise Primoz… Maybe learn to crash „properly“, to decrease damage? Or work to increase bike handling skills (which is very hard at his age, and won‘t improve his handling skills very much)? Or join Wout on Wout‘s winter cyclocross campaign, or other fellow road pros on the track in winter?

Either way, now let‘s see what‘s his remaining program this season… Maybe he even still rides Lombardia, which suits him well?

Sadly, in last years, Primoz suffered five to ten crashes (in races) a year. That‘s quite much.

I remember the case of Dominik Nerz, a good GC rider, climber and domestique of Nibali. Nerz at one point in his career crashed in almost every race he rode. He then had enough and finished his career. He felt that these crashes and slight concussions damaged his brain and mind, and he couldn‘t stand any more to work hard in training, just to see everything get destroyed in the races, by the crashes.

The speeds in the pro pelotons are so high, that every crash does a certain damage.

I wouldn‘t know what to advise Primoz… Maybe learn to crash „properly“, to decrease damage? Or work to increase bike handling skills (which is very hard at his age, and won‘t improve his handling skills very much)? Or join Wout on Wout‘s winter cyclocross campaign, or other fellow road pros on the track in winter?

Either way, now let‘s see what‘s his remaining program this season… Maybe he even still rides Lombardia, which suits him well?
He needs to relax more as a GC guy. You can't and shouldn't fight for every spot and try to follow a teammate that understands that as well. That is part of the team's burden of support that seemed absent this last Vuelta. His positioning when Cobrelli forced him out at the Tour was a predicatable outcome: you don't get in a sprinter's way riding on the gutter and being annoying unless you think it's worth the risk. I'm not sure Roglic even knew that was poor positioning. His pack location in the Vuelta crash stage was crazy at times when nothing was a stake. Contrast that to a Pogacar or Quintana who generally know exactly when to be at the front. All riders will crash but he creates some of his own problems some times.

Reactions: jmdirt
He needs to relax more as a GC guy. You can't and shouldn't fight for every spot and try to follow a teammate that understands that as well. That is part of the team's burden of support that seemed absent this last Vuelta. His positioning when Cobrelli forced him out at the Tour was a predicatable outcome: you don't get in a sprinter's way riding on the gutter and being annoying unless you think it's worth the risk. I'm not sure Roglic even knew that was poor positioning. His pack location in the Vuelta crash stage was crazy at times when nothing was a stake. Contrast that to a Pogacar or Quintana who generally know exactly when to be at the front. All riders will crash but he creates some of his own problems some times.
I'm not even sure TJV knew that was bad positioning. It looked as though it was their idea to spread riders across the peloton to limit the damage in case of a crash (not as many would go down as in stage 3, for instance). When it comes to his safety, a lot could be done by his team as well to make things easier for him. Maybe not in so much in this particular case (Vuelta) but at least in 2021 TDF he was unnecessarily left alone in the bunch. Their position was revealed in their documentary, where they said on the bus that Pogacar is better than Rogla on the beaches, on the landing grounds, on the fields and in the streets (not to mention the hills). Meaning they shall not put all eggs in one basket and his crash was partially the consequence of that approach.

I'm afraid this is only going to get worse now. WVA and JV are now both ahead of him in team priorities so he will really need to dig deep to avoid any incidents from now on I think. I hope at least now everyone there understands he needs some coaching regarding positioning and he is going to get some...

I think basically Aussie wildlife is just out to murder people...
100% - even the crazy cousin of the koala "bear"

The TT course of the WCs would have been tailormade for Primoz… He would have had enough rest, his wounds certainly healed recently, and he‘s best when coming back from injury. He also certainly will want to become cycling World Champion in his remaining career (he was WC in ski jumping before). So I‘m sad he didn‘t ride this TT in Australia.

But he‘s a gentleman: maybe he waits for his comeback until he can go to a race where he lines up alongside Fred Wright. Then a handshake at the start line, and Primoz and Fred can again be good colleagues. (;))

Reactions: Sandisfan
Commonly referred to as... reckless riding!

This are two different offenses and reckless riding usually being considered more severe offense.

No! It's not reckless riding to sprint. It can never be the responsibility of the person coming from behind if the person in front is deviating from his line. By that "logic", once rider hits the front, he could just start veering from side-to-side.

Here you are just wrong. It's more or less the responsibility of the rider that is coming from behind. To pass the rider in front safely.

You know what else is not allowed? Deviating from your line!

That is correct. You can get the rider in front relegated on that. But you are not allowed to cause a crash. Trying to get through regardless of the outcome.

Glad we can now apply this standard to every crash :)

We could say that yes. In regards to Colbrelli incident. That is if Roglič would be riding without do care and attention or recklessly.

AFAIK neither was the case.

@SHAD0W93

Literary the first comment on Eurosport was on why he didn't just move away. And everything would be fine.

He didn't do that because he is a sprinter.

@bNator

No it's not the same thing. They are two different offenses.

@all

Lets see if this is settled now or if there will be a third strike. Think of it as Roglič improving his bike handling skills. My take on this is there isn't a sprinter in peloton anymore that will ride without do care and attention or recklessly when Roglič will be involved in a bunch sprint. Hopefully this standard to be used in between all riders and hence beyond just Roglič.

We'll see.

Last edited:
  • Wow
AFAIK magpies are not such a big issue. It's the bulls that felt they could stomp the goats. Like all the time. And to get away with it. And now when one goat has grown some balls. All in all big ball goats have hence now become an issue for the bulls.

Some day i am sure that magpies will be able to contest the sprints too. Still long way to that. Lets first get the goats through safely. And build on that.

• Haha
This are two different offenses and reckless riding usually being considered more severe offense.

It's pretty severe to cause a crash by deviating from your line.

Here you are just wrong. It's more or less the responsibility of the rider that is coming from behind. To pass the rider in front safely.

Which is easier when the rider in front does not deviate from his line.

That is correct. You can get the rider in front relegated on that. But you are not allowed to cause a crash. Trying to get through regardless of the outcome.

Wright did not cause a crash.

Lets see if this is settled now or if there will be a third strike. Think of it as Roglič improving his bike handling skills. My take on this is there isn't a sprinter in peloton anymore that will ride without do care and attention or recklessly when Roglič will be involved in a bunch sprint. Hopefully this standard to be used in between all riders and hence beyond just Roglič.

Probably for the better if he just stays out of bunch sprints. He couldn't even keep a straight line when it was just five guys.

But anyway; I don't think you ever actually answered my question...

If Wright had been the one in front, deviating from his line, while Roglic had been the coming from behind, would you then have said that it was Roglic who caused the crash?
Or would Roglic - in that case, correctly - have stated that Wright caused the crash, by deviating from his line, and since you seem to think that everything Roglic says is correct, you would have agreed with him?

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS