• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 449 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haters gonna hate.

I mean seriously, when people are motivated to criticize a rider, they'll always find a reason.

Rog is not spectacular enough, he doesn't attack enough, he wheelsucks, he doesn't win enough classics, his interviews are flat, he hasn't won the Tour, he doesn't ride for Van Aert in the Worlds, he doesn't do leadouts for his teammates in sprint stages... I've heard & read it all before.

Each to their own. I happen to think a team should not rely on a GC leader to do a leadout train in a sprint. In Vingegaard's defense though, riding domestique is what he started as so he has quite a bit of experience doing it... & he does it well enough (I still remember his really good pull on the Angliru in the 2020 Vuelta).

Rogla meanwhile has his own style which works for him & his team.
That about sums it up.

Haters gonna hate.

I mean seriously, when people are motivated to criticize a rider, they'll always find a reason.

Rog is not spectacular enough, he doesn't attack enough, he wheelsucks, he doesn't win enough classics, his interviews are flat, he hasn't won the Tour, he doesn't ride for Van Aert in the Worlds, he doesn't do leadouts for his teammates in sprint stages... I've heard & read it all before.

Each to their own. I happen to think a team should not rely on a GC leader to do a leadout train in a sprint. In Vingegaard's defense though, riding domestique is what he started as so he has quite a bit of experience doing it... & he does it well enough (I still remember his really good pull on the Angliru in the 2020 Vuelta).

Rogla meanwhile has his own style which works for him & his team.
Making an observation doesn't necessarily mean hating though. Maybe in this simplistic, superficial internet age it is, but if I say "being a domestique isn't in Roglic' system" I'm not hating on the guy. You on the other hand seem to be pretty adamant that doing a leadout is bad if you're a GC leader, which I think is open for debate since it's maybe safer to be on the front than fighting for position behind, which is not something Roglic is good at.

I would go if I were Roglic, because what if the stars align?

The others might have a bad race and he is probably best of the rest, under normal circumstances.

Wont Vingegaard be going Tour every year for the foreseeable future? When will Roglic get a chance again? I dont think it is given he will be the leader for 2024, thats not guaranteed I think. Unless, Vingegaard himself wants to go to the Giro or gets injured.

His best chance is probably to go and see what happens. Not wait for another year, imo. It could all be different then.

It all depends on how Roglic feels after the Giro, what he really wants and if the team will pick him.

Maybe he has set his sights on Worlds and Vuelta, but I would think the Tour is the race he really wants.
Jonas may never find that form again though. We might be seeing Roglic back next year if Jonas gets destroyed this July

Jonas may never find that form again though. We might be seeing Roglic back next year if Jonas gets destroyed this July

If Jonas gets destroyed wouldnt it be good if Roglic was there to seize the opportunity? He gets two chances... one already this year, if what you say happens :)

Dont forget that next year Remco the almighty will target the Tour and with perfect preparation he will probably be unbeatable.

If the Tour is the race Roglic really wants to win, he should go every time he has the opportunity to do so. Time is not on his side.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
If Jonas gets destroyed wouldnt it be good if Roglic was there to seize the opportunity? He gets two chances... one already this year, if what you say happens :)

Dont forget that next year Remco the almighty will target the Tour and with perfect preparation he will probably be unbeatable.

If the Tour is the race Roglic really wants to win, he should go every time he has the opportunity to do so. Time is not on his side.
I agree completely, it’s just the Veulta is almost a sure thing if he has form. The double is worth more than a singular TDF (imo)

Remco would get destroyed on proper altitude climbing in the Tour even if he is on perfect preparation and in perfect form. The route should be tailor made for him to stand a chance against Pogi, Vinge, Rogla and even some other competition in those mountain stages.

Remco would get destroyed on proper altitude climbing in the Tour even if he is on perfect preparation and in perfect form. The route should be tailor made for him to stand a chance against Pogi, Vinge, Rogla and even some other competition in those mountain stages.

With perfect preparation, perfect team, perfect weather, perfect health, perfect pillows in the hotels... there will be no chance the almighty loses.

I feel that if Jonas goes against Pogi 1 on 1 this year and loses the battle. That likely still won't automatically come down to Rogla being the team leader in 2024 Tour edition. In this team and at the Tour i feel that Rogla will always need to deal with some bias, team pushing Jonas ahead, and multiple goals involved. Like team members going for other goals beyond the GC.

So if the form is good and if Rogla can get relatively fresh to week three, still being in good position for the overall, then Tour 2023 should suit him and he should participate. Racing for the overall.

At the Tour he will always need to beat his team too. Making the team ride for him. On top of that plan A likely would be to get both Rogla and Jonas in good position as far as possible.

Said that Rogla will have issues like getting a spare bike, protection in the bunch, help if he struggles on some stage and Jonas is still in contention ... So here he is on his own. No risk, no glory. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: acm