• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In my opinion Roglič wouldn't mind being closer. One stomp away from leaders jersey. Now trying to stomp to get to there. Too much effort involved. He would need like 10 perfect stomps ... And would end up losing the overall as result. Not going to happen.

So now he is in position that likely suits Jonas a bit more. But then again maybe Jonas will struggle with Remco accelerations. Rogla can cope with that just fine and for Jonas we don't have much data suggesting one or another. We'll see.

All in all long way to go. Today, stage 4, Rogla did what he needed to do. Stay on the bike and follow. For more. We will think about that in a week or two.
Yes, he is not in an ideal position. TJV lost much more time in the TTT than they should have. Of course with so many crashes and the bad weather, it could have been much worse. But at the moment Vingegaard is the nominal team leader.

I had pictured a scenario where TJV wins the TTT and Remco has to be the aggressor. That hasn't happened, but peak Jonas can take huge chunks of time on a mountain stage, where peak Primoz does it through boniseconds and stomps. So we shall see...I still think that Jonas' form is not yet known; he looked good on Arinsal but not in his TdF form still...

Any fresh news how is he?

F4yM0OrWgAAeI9B

He rode very well though, much better than in the Giro. I think he'll have to be super domestique for Vingegaard, but he's in great form
As the race progresses we'll see the cumulative fatigue in Kuss who JV should allow to rest a bit unless the Red jersey is right in front of him. We'll also see if Jonas can handle the pace as well as Primoz. IMO Primoz will continue to get stronger compared to Jonas and Remco but the crashing throughout the peloton could claim him....again. Too early to project completely but I think we'll see serious aggression from Primoz.

As the race progresses we'll see the cumulative fatigue in Kuss who JV should allow to rest a bit unless the Red jersey is right in front of him. We'll also see if Jonas can handle the pace as well as Primoz. IMO Primoz will continue to get stronger compared to Jonas and Remco but the crashing throughout the peloton could claim him....again. Too early to project completely but I think we'll see serious aggression from Primoz.
Jonas closed the gap quite quickly imo, at the moment I had the feeling Vingegaard was a bit better but not by much. If you are correct that Roglic will grow in the race, he should be able to drop them and go for the double.

OK, after this he needs to find another team. Makes no sense trying to win with maybe half a dom and a teammate chasing after you.

This isn't a debate for today. Jumbo rode well & neither Vinge nor Rog attacked each other or did some whacky UAE style Solerism.

I also think the fact Rog attacked from so far out & sustained it (incrementally, dropping those who came back with Vinge) bodes very, very well. He's got some serious form IMO.

This isn't a debate for today. Jumbo rode well & neither Vinge nor Rog attacked each other or did some whacky UAE style Solerism.

I also think the fact Rog attacked from so far out & sustained it (incrementally, dropping those who came back with Vinge) bodes very, very well. He's got some serious form IMO.
The thing is Rog seemed to have been able to go harder today but he did not want to go full gas puling VIngo and Mas. Had he been alone maybe he could have gained more. From his attack to the finish he only gained 10-15s on Kuss.

He also appeared to be considerate of Jonas when Vingo showed his limit and backed off on pace. IMO he could have sprinted the last km if that was worth the effort; which it isn't at this point.

The thing is Rog seemed to have been able to go harder today but he did not want to go full gas puling VIngo and Mas. Had he been alone maybe he could have gained more. From his attack to the finish he only gained 10-15s on Kuss.

I think in this situation it sort of evens out because Vingegaard can be a real asset going forward, as long as the Jumbo riders don't directly attack each other.

Evenepoel is going to have real problems on the Tourmalet, Angliru & a bunch of other climbs as well. I suppose the ITT can create a hierarchy of sorts between the Jumbo pair but they'll both be in contention for as long as possible.

And what a team! Seriously it's night & day compared to the team Rog had in the 2022 Vuelta & the Giro. They have some serious firepower here.

I think in this situation it sort of evens out because Vingegaard can be a real asset going forward, as long as the Jumbo riders don't directly attack each other.

Evenepoel is going to have real problems on the Tourmalet, Angliru & a bunch of other climbs as well. I suppose the ITT can create a hierarchy of sorts between the Jumbo pair but they'll both be in contention for as long as possible.

And what a team! Seriously it's night & day compared to the team Rog had in the 2022 Vuelta & the Giro. They have some serious firepower here.
And it's not just names on the paper. All of them have the strength to contribute, as long as Kelderman doesn't continue to crash.

Strong by Rogla, even more impressive considering his crash. The Vuelta looks better for him now: marginal loss to Remco and good form confirmed. His teammate can be both an asset and a rival, time will tell how it ends. But keep in mind that Vinge didn't have 3 months to prepare (like before the Tour) while Rogla had a better preparation, which could be crucial in the later part of the race.

Kudos to Roglic for attacking, was expecting Vingegaard to be the first one to launch. He probably saw Remco didn't go that well and went for it.

As a team they were already far above the rest, now they kinda proved they are individually also above the rest. If they plan to ride like this for the other mountain stages this will become an exciting Vuelta.