• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Excellent Walsh interview

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chuffy said:
Wow. Well known pro fails to answer e-mail from fan. That screams out precisely nothing.

Has Kimmage popped up yet? I'm looking forward to hearing his take on this! :D

not a fan of Gerrans, but i emailed later to tell him how great he was using different address and name and got a nice fan email type reply:D

I doubt Kimmage is that much interested in what is happening. He knows the score and will not be surprised by it. I bet Sky's attitude to him at the TdF this year put nails in his coffin about whether the sport was cleaning up.

Walsh still has his excellent books to promote and the more who read them the better.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
He knows the score and will not be surprised by it. I bet Sky's attitude to him at the TdF this year put nails in his coffin about whether the sport was cleaning up.
What happened? I missed that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chuffy said:
What happened? I missed that.

Kimmage was supposed to do a 3 week fly on the wall with TeamSky at the TdF till Wiggins put a halt on it and said NO!.

He did it with Garmin the year before so i don't know what Wiggin's problem was!

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Geez you lot are sad and pathetic...

Why do you think Walsh released an article, for some noble reason? Nah, he's a journo, who makes money out of stories. Scum like him release stories at times helpful to there pay packet.

We'll see Kimmage release one by the end of the week, and then we'll have the trifecta, Lemond, Walsh & Kimmage... Not once have you ever heard these three talk about how to cure the problem, and it's for that reason alone, that I don't trust there motives.

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think fans should be tweeting or emailing cyclists to make comments about Contador, Mosquera and crew as they happen, make them feel under pressure from the fans that we want to hear them denounce the dopers.

i emailed Gerrans after his Landis comments through his website and lo and behold no reply. Screams out loud his feelings on it. :rolleyes:

As a mate of mine, I'll tell you what that say's about his feelings on this issue.

'It's his own business, and none of yours'.

Who the hell do people think they are, emailing people you don't know, and then insulting them when they don't respond. Tool....

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Kimmage was supposed to do a 3 week fly on the wall with TeamSky at the TdF till Wiggins put a halt on it and said NO!.

He did it with Garmin the year before so i don't know what Wiggin's problem was!
Would you like to spend three weeks on a bus with Kimmage? Don't get me wrong, I respect what he's done/does and I support him, but jeez he's a chippy little ****! :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MadonePro said:

Why do you think Walsh released an article, for some noble reason? Nah, he's a journo, who makes money out of stories. Scum like him release stories at times helpful to there pay packet.

We'll see Kimmage release one by the end of the week, and then we'll have the trifecta, Lemond, Walsh & Kimmage... Not once have you ever heard these three talk about how to cure the problem, and it's for that reason alone, that I don't trust there motives.

CN interviewed Walsh. I bet he was not paid! He's a sports journalist and he writes sports stories unless journalism and writing as a job ha changed.

If him and Kimmage are Scum we could do with a lot more of it the world of journalism as form where i stand there are not too many journalists writing stories anymore, plenty of people rewritng public relations press releases though.

The cure for the sport is easy, lengthy bans and big fines. Need a federation with balls to implemet it though.

But no doubt you will offer your fix it all approach to cycling....let me guess let the Uniballer and his mates do it.:rolleyes:

Trolling is so becoming a madone, good on twek i say

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chuffy said:
Would you like to spend three weeks on a bus with Kimmage? Don't get me wrong, I respect what he's done/does and I support him, but jeez he's a chippy little ****! :D

let me guess, you got to spend 3 weeks on a bus with a whole range of people whats one extra guy who is very discreet or maybe you have never read his stuff.

Kimmage has interviewed mot of the world's top sports people. i bet he has some great stories to tell and different from the usual stuff that you would hear at dinner....

He is defo not a chippy little ****!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MadonePro said:
As a mate of mine, I'll tell you what that say's about his feelings on this issue.

'It's his own business, and none of yours'.

Who the hell do people think they are, emailing people you don't know, and then insulting them when they don't respond. Tool....

i'll email him and tell him you were asking after his tool...

Walsh paints a picture that is disingenuous at best.

Riders coming into the pro ranks in many countries already knowing all about "preparation". EPO is scandalously abused in the junior ranks in Italy.

So forgive me if I'm skeptical about his take on the situation. If a guy like Contador has been riding since the age of 16 under the auspices of Manolo Saiz, take a wild guess what he was introduced to at a very young age.

Doping in cycling, from the insider's perspective, isn't considered cheating per se. It is considered "preparing yourself" or "learning to ride like a professional". If one is not willing to do this, one is not considered someone who takes his profession very seriously.

This is what happens when you recycle the same cast of characters from the good ol' days of the 1990's. The same doctors, team managers, etc. who were brought up in the same fashion, to believe that doping is a part of the preparation process.

This doesn't hit a neo-pro smack in the face on his first day of training camp. He knows the score from the junior ranks. The only thing that changes is the money-the more money, the bigger the stakes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MadonePro said:

You realise that Walsh was contacted by CN for his comment.

To the second highlighted - you obviously haven't read Rough Ride by Kimmage, read many of Walshes articles on interviews or heard leMond speak at Play the Game.

MadonePro said:

Evidence of this?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Walsh is just another armchair quarterback like the rest of us here. I just bet some of us have much more relevant information than Walsh and LeMond.
Reporting and revelations are those 2s bread and butter though so more power to them. Somebody has to pay the mortgage!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I'd like to see MadonePro do a comparison of the profits made from doping versus the profits made by combating it.

Start with Armstrong vs. Kimmage and let us know your findings.

It is interesting how people think that writing an anti-Armstrong book would make a lot of money, au contraire, he lost money by taking un paid leave to write it and i dont think it is available in the usa.

i dont think there are many millionaire journalists around that write what Walsh and Kimmage write about, if there are i'd like to know who they are and what they wrote?

flicker said:
Walsh is just another armchair quarterback like the rest of us here. I just bet some of us have much more relevant information than Walsh and LeMond.Reporting and revelations are those 2s bread and butter though so more power to them. Somebody has to pay the mortgage!

:rolleyes: amazing statement even for you. have you even read much of Walsh's work?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I know David Walsh. You, sir, are no David Walsh.

Yessir, that is exactly what I was thinking--not that I think that he's JFK or anything, but he clearly cares about what is right and wrong in the sport and isn't afraid to say so. He is to cycling what Bob Woodward was to politics.
I don't recall David wearing a Rolex or a Versace suit when I met him. Actually, it's a real shame that DW doesn't focus on politics; surely his reputation would make a few squirm in their leather-backed seats.
To call him an armchair quarterback is simple baiting by another of the apparatchiks of the propaganda machine.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
To call him an armchair quarterback is simple baiting by another of the apparatchiks of the propaganda machine.

that one was straight out the pubic stratalies manual, ol flicky must be tired:rolleyes:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I know David Walsh. You, sir, are no David Walsh.

I went to the tower of London and saw a skiff mounted shotgun that could take out 200 geese at one time pre-manifest destiny. Quite an awsome ordinence.

Tell me if I used such an apparatus would I be considered a hunter?

Dave Walsh same thing. Shooting ducks in a barrel. Not to much sport in it. I could hunt that way eyes closed.

Thing is once you hunt out the geese there are no geese. No more food(fans, sponsors, athletes sport) I know Walsh reads this. Something to think about eh David? Check out that shotgun, I think it is still there. Tower of London armory museum. People who read his books are not fans anymore. They are only disciples of Walsh and LeMond. Is cycling a fun sport to watch for the disciples?

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Trolling is so becoming a madone, good on twek i say

Funny how you can make a comment, and it be called trolling. Not looking for a fight, just sick and tired of armchair critics, who offer no real solutions, just lots of wild unproven accusations.

Dr. Maserati said:
You realise that Walsh was contacted by CN for his comment.

To the second highlighted - you obviously haven't read Rough Ride by Kimmage, read many of Walshes articles on interviews or heard leMond speak at Play the Game.

Yes I've read his book, and listened to a number of his interviews, and whilst not being too great a fan of LA, can't believe he called LA the cancer of cycling. Lemond is bitter and comes up with nothing new. As for CN, it has descended to the level of Cycling Weekly in the UK, in other words, little better than a comic. Truth is expendient...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MadonePro said:
Funny how you can make a comment, and it be called trolling. Not looking for a fight, just sick and tired of armchair critics, who offer no real solutions, just lots of wild unproven accusations.

Yes I've read his book, and listened to a number of his interviews, and whilst not being too great a fan of LA, can't believe he called LA the cancer of cycling. Lemond is bitter and comes up with nothing new. As for CN, it has descended to the level of Cycling Weekly in the UK, in other words, little better than a comic. Truth is expendient...

says a twek.....don't let the door hit you on the way out....