• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Explosion at Boston Marathon

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Don't forget the drop of Apple's stock price. The iPad is the tool of the libtards, and it is too much of a coincidence that the stock dropped so near the anniversary of the Waco assault. Strange forces are at work.

Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes!

Not to sure about the Apple stock connection. Was that sarcasm? Pancakes? It is a little early perhaps to correlate the three events and could be the target of ill-willed fanatics. Certainly the explosion near Waco falls near a date that is an unfortunate reminder. After press hysteria yesterday, no reporter or commentator (not that I've seen very much of it since late last night) is venturing down the "date and place speculation" of the Waco explosion.

Dirty Works posted rightly that we need to show some patience. I invited speculation.

It's just a little weird to me. Glad to see the death figure has dropped to 15, but another really tragic event. I plan on switching off today's coverage. I've seen to much of truly tragic events in 20 years as a photojournalist. I once thought what I saw would not have an lasting and damaging effect on me. I was wrong. I also know from that experience that very often there is a "copy cat" effect born out some horrific acts of violence. So I alluded those so inclined at the end of my last post fully aware, on this form, that I would not be reaching many of those who might need here it, but did so anyway also not to be misunderstood.

Thoughts and prayers to all who have died and been hurt by the recent tragic events. Peace be with you.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:
What 'N' word? Look Scott just keep your head in the sand and we'll tell you what happened when everything's come to pass, which I reckon should be sometime just inside the year 2050.So if we're still around and gravity hasn't deformed your head, we can sit down together and have a beer over it (naturally I'll let you choose which kind, since I know you love having choices). Va bene?

At 1.5% growth rate the world population will double in 46.66 years, just sayin'.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
"There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN's Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested."

Sounds to me like CNN may have jumped the gun in the same way the NY Post did about the Saudi guy and now they're backtracking. I suppose that's the danger of trying to be first.

My feeling is they have someone already. But instead of a proper arrest including Miranda rights and all, they issued a one-way ticket to Gitmo and 'enhanced' whatever they call it atm. Someone wasn't quite in the loop and blurted it out the wrong way.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
At the end of the Huffington post piece it has a quote from the editor of NYpost. He stands by the story, That NY POST says the photo's on the cover of today's edition was sent out originally to law enforcement for more information etc. So technically that is correct but the cover story was misleading because it says Bag Men and implies that these two ARE the suspects. That is some terrible reporting. Even my ragged a$$ could do better.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Considering that this the Explosion at Boston Marathon thread this might seem adrift, but we now have three major "news stories," for the general context to name them as to this post.

•Boston Marathon terror bombing attack: Suspect(s) ID'd by photo and video analysis. Origin of motive unknown. Date of attack, April 15, the federal tax deadline for tax year 2012.

•Ricin letters mailed to President Obama and Mississippi Sen. Rodger Wicker and other suspicious mail sent to other U.S. Senators: Arrest made: 45-year-old Paul Kenneth Curtis of Tupelo, Miss.: motive, possibly anger at government policy in general.

•Massive explosion at a "remote" fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas scene in 1993 of the Branch Davidian siege http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege News fog right now, but one reporter has stated as many 50-60 dead, 100s injured, some from toxic smoke. Reported form local reporter to Fox News; firefighters were at the plant prior the explosion in response to what is being describe as a smaller fire. One report stated that the fire was thought to be put out. The number of firefighters and other emergency responders to the first fire call is unknown. Unusual in my mind, in that firefighters now universally withdraw from a fire that is in danger of explosion that would threaten their lives. They would be kept at the scene to monitor a fire that had been contained or "put out." The earlier fire followed by the blast seem unusual from that aspect as reported.

The Waco siege in 1993 outraged many because of the initial assault on the Branch Davidian compound resulted in a gun battle between Federal ATF agents and armed compound members. Many thought the assault was premature, in light of little (from memory) or no negotiations were attempted and that children were in the compound although the Waco Branch Davidians were heavily armed. The Waco siege ended in an massive assault on April 19, 1993. 76 Branch Davidians died that day. We are now two days shy of the of the day marking 20th year of the assault. Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh in this article is said to have been outraged by the Waco siege.

The is currently no direct evidence linking the events of the past few days, but it does alluded to some correlation of violent "far right" fanaticism near the 20th year mark of Waco.

The known and an attempted violence in Boston and with the Ricin letters are sickening. The explosion, now yesterday at the conclusion of this writing, disturbing and tradgic. Draw your own conclusions, but violence is never the answer. You have a voice. Use it. Passive, non-violent protests effected the elections of 2010. It is the good and just way to go about political change.

I don't see any good reason for putting all these incidents together. The Boston explosion was a bombing, and the way this was done looks to me more like something that had the intention to harm the reputation of the Boston Marathon organizers. The explosion in Waco, on the other hand, is without a doubt a tragic industrial accident, which wouldn't have so many victims, if the plant wasn't next to a residential area..

As for the letters to Obama.. He is not the first neither the last politician who receives such kind of letters. ( and sometimes I wonder why politicians, and especially American Presidents, keep on accepting letters from people).

RXnFUOD.png

HVE8N3D.png

duq3a63.png

3pICgvV.png

Am I missing something? The two alleged perps in the pictures sure look Caucasian to me, particularly the guy with the white cap (the pictures on TV are somewhat clearer than the ones posted in this thread). Frankly, my first impression was, probably homegrown Americans. But everyone is saying, can’t tell what their ethnicity is. The FBI, with its access to enhancement technology, probably has much better pictures available, and if they want the public’s help in tracking these guys down, I don’t understand why they don’t make those pictures available.

Edit: now have seen a clearer picture, I guess it could be a mid-Eastern man. Still hard to tell.

The fact that there were two of them is being taken to indicate they’re part of an organization with a political agenda. But there were two shooters at Columbine, and they didn’t have a political message beyond, I hate the system. The FBI and assorted terrorist experts have also been saying the way they walked before and after planting the bombs indicates they had planned this carefully in advance, and it’s being reported there is evidence from older police logs of their actually carrying out a dry run. But again, the Columbine shooters were pretty well prepared, too.

Just because someone is mentally unbalanced doesn’t mean he can’t have a partner in crime, and that they can’t plan a mass murder in advance. I’ve been wondering if this could possibly be a copycat crime derived from Newtown, which of course was fairly close in both time and space. I can imagine a twisted mind saying, I can kill as many or more people, and if I use a bomb set off remotely, I don’t have to die in the process.

Edit: Amazingly, there is one guy who witnessed both the Boston and Waco explosions. In Boston, his wife was standing very close to one of the bombs, yet was unhurt. This description shows how random violence can be:

Amy Berti and a friend were just yards from the first explosion. She had just taken a picture of Joe, and was heading to the finish line to find him when the bomb went off. She and her friend were both hit by shrapnel. Amy was uninjured, her friend was bruised.

But a woman right next to Amy had her leg torn off from the knee down, and lost all the fingers in her left hand. Amy Berti went to get help, and once that woman was being cared for, Amy's frantic search for her husband began.

Though there are reports that one of the suspects has been captured, other reports say it's not clear that the person apprehended is a suspect in the bombing. There is also a police killing case now, and according to one report, the suspect is involved in that, not the bombing.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...atcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

Bombing suspect in custody, another remains on the loose

Massachusetts State Police, Cambridge Police, and MIT Police searched at the scene of the fatal shooting of an MIT officer.

One marathon suspect has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation.

Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

Ferminal said:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...atcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

Bombing suspect in custody, another remains on the loose

Massachusetts State Police, Cambridge Police, and MIT Police searched at the scene of the fatal shooting of an MIT officer.

One marathon suspect has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation.

Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

A couple of hours ago a member in Bosten on another site I read was listening to a police scanner and said the location of the suspects' apartment was relayed to dispatch. It did not seem long afterward that he reported a shooting at MIT coming across. I started to post it here but then thought there is so much false information swirling around why bother.

This sounds crazy. I wonder if the number (3) is wrong.

An officer at the Massachusetts Institution of Technology campus in Watertown near Boston was killed early Friday, April 19, when he responded to a disturbance caused by the appearance of three men armed with guns, explosives and wearing body armor. It is suspected they were preparing to seize a university building in a terror attack. After initial gunshots were heard at Building 32 on Vassar Street, dozens of SWAT teams, police moved toward the building, soon joined by FBI agents and a police helicopter. Gunfire and explosions were heard during the hunt for the killer indicating a gun battle in progress. One suspect is reported injured and taken to hospital under heavy guard. An MIT alert described the situation as active and extremely dangerous. One man is in custody, but it is not clear whether he was involved.
The incident occurred hours after the FBI released filmed images of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing on Monday with a request to the public for assistance in identifying them. A possible link between the two events is being intensely investigated.

one dead, one on the loose... this is crazy... people in Watertown not to leave house or open doors to anyone except the police... and some sites naming the suspects, one possibly a missing student from Brown University (sites now saying no).

eta: web stating another suspect caught, but not being broadcast yet... may not be the right one -- again. it isn't.

an interesting story on how they were able to zero in on what to look for in the tapes: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...n-iconic-photo-helped-identify-attackers.html we mustn't forget the victims :(

whatever, anybody in the area, stay home and stay safe.

CNN has a reporter and camera pointing at a yellow building here:
42°21'52.49" N 71°09'58.92" W

It is probably a perimeter of how far they are allowed to place themselves.

It gives you an idea of the general area where they are searching.

I have heard Laurel Street and Dexter Avenue mentioned by a witness played on CNN in regards to the car chase.

You can copy and paste the lat-long line into google earth or bing maps to show were it is.

Remember the building is only a refference point, and if the dude was in that building, the cameras would not be allowed that close.

TRENDING THREADS