• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fabio Aru 6.5w/kg

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

therealthing said:
Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. He is threatening to beat Froome and Dumoulin at this rate! This is like Nibali in 2016 the speed at which his form miraculously returns.
Well, Nibali was always good in TT at least. Aru not... I don't understand this performance, what's going on here? 25 min down on GT...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

gmedina said:
I think the reason he did well today is that he was being almost paced by motorcycle....havent seen the video but that is the rumor
Probably a combination of that + home field advantage on the rest day, similar to Movistar gc riders like Valverde and Quintana who seem to gain 30W if the TT takes place on spanish soil.

Re: Re:

Ripper said:
ontheroad said:
Possible restday refill, Martin's reaction was priceless. Will be interesting to see if he also refinds his legs in the mountains and goes nuclear.
There needs to be a meme with Martin's reaction. That was good.
Nevah 4get
gifgvlje.gif

pastronef said:
20 seconds penalty for drafting.
to Ulissi and Conti 2 minutes
Yup. I have a feeling if he was motorpacing the whole way, he got off super light and still got a free 60-90 seconds gifted. S'all right folks, nothing to see here.

This said, motorpacing in a TT is at least better than Aru just spinning along that close to the pointy end of a TT. If it had been all pharmacological, I'd wonder what new wonder drugs have made it into the group.

F*ck am I glad I don't aspire to race at that level anymore :)

hrotha said:
Ripper said:
ontheroad said:
Possible restday refill, Martin's reaction was priceless. Will be interesting to see if he also refinds his legs in the mountains and goes nuclear.
Nevah 4get
In fairness at that point it wasn't quite clear how out there Foliforov's time was. Boswell's reaction showed it was out there, but realistically Boswell isn't really a proven standard to judge against in an MTT in the same way as Tony Martin in a flat TT, and as ever with an MTT, most of the best climbers are in the GC mix so go late, so there weren't as many actually viable times to judge Foliforov against until the big guns all came and failed to dethrone him later on, whereas in an ITT plenty of top TT riders are rouleurs so don't contest the GC and go early, so by the time Aru went we had a lot of strong TT riders to judge against - Martin, Dowsett, van Emden, Kiryienka, Campenaerts.

I mean, Boswell was proven correct over the course of the day, sure, but Martin reacting as he did comes with a bit more authority because of Martin's history in the contre-le-montre.

Libertine Seguros said:
hrotha said:
Ripper said:
ontheroad said:
Nevah 4get
In fairness at that point it wasn't quite clear how out there Foliforov's time was. Boswell's reaction showed it was out there, but realistically Boswell isn't really a proven standard to judge against in an MTT in the same way as Tony Martin in a flat TT, and as ever with an MTT, most of the best climbers are in the GC mix so go late, so there weren't as many actually viable times to judge Foliforov against until the big guns all came and failed to dethrone him later on, whereas in an ITT plenty of top TT riders are rouleurs so don't contest the GC and go early, so by the time Aru went we had a lot of strong TT riders to judge against - Martin, Dowsett, van Emden, Kiryienka, Campenaerts.

I mean, Boswell was proven correct over the course of the day, sure, but Martin reacting as he did comes with a bit more authority because of Martin's history in the contre-le-montre.

If Boswell knew his power output for 30 minutes he had a pretty good idea of what was needed to beat his time by nearly 90 seconds.