• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Jakobsen thread

7 victories as a neo-professional but bot a thread? Yeah he's no climber like Bernal so less hype. But still a very strong first season as professional for a sprinter..

Most prolific wins this season was Scheldeprijs (thinned out group, but still beat Ackermann). Binck Bank stage win (vs a lot of top end sprinters, Kittel, Groenewegen etc), and in China vs Ackermann and Groenewegen again.

He's also not useless in the Belgian one day races. As shown with a win in Nokere, 2nd in Halle Ingooigem, 4th in Dwars door West-Vlaanderen, 13th in La Samyn and 6th in the Great War Remembrance race.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
An outside bet for Milano-Sanremo next year?

I'm not sure Viviani and Gaviria approves, tho'. :lol:

Viviani and Gaviria as main sprinters who aim for this as their main goal of the season, Alaphilippe who was close in 2017 and has chances if miracles happen, #striveforfive for Gilbert.

I don't think he will be lining up.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Velolover2 said:
An outside bet for Milano-Sanremo next year?

I'm not sure Viviani and Gaviria approves, tho'. :lol:

Viviani and Gaviria as main sprinters who aim for this as their main goal of the season, Alaphilippe who was close in 2017 and has chances if miracles happen, #striveforfive for Gilbert.

I don't think he will be lining up.

You're right. Having Viv and Gav there at the same time is chaotic enough. :D

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Imagine them going for a full sprint train in MSR for Viviani with Gaviria, Hodge, Jakobsen in line for him.. lol
The could go with: Viviani, Gaviria, Hodeg, Jakobsen, Sabatini, Richeze and Mørkov. :lol:

The bulletrain team.

Then I think they should ride for Sabatini. That would be decent of them since he has still never won a professional bike race. One of their weirdest cycling stats considering him riding for the team which is known for getting each and every rider (almost) his chances throughout the season.

Though, I'm not certain that would be approved by every wagon in the train.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Nice video. One thing I don't get: What is he referring to when he said that last year, they stopped at the memorial of Fabio Casartelli? He didn't ride the Tour.

Some riders visited the team. I heard from Vakoc that he sat in the car during one or two stages of the Tour. Maybe Jakobsen was also there at that point. Great team spirit if riders show up that were not selected!

Reactions: hayneplane
Re:

tobydawq said:
Nice video. One thing I don't get: What is he referring to when he said that last year, they stopped at the memorial of Fabio Casartelli? He didn't ride the Tour.

I think he was there with a Dutch or Belgium TV show for the Tour de France as I remember seeing it, he met with Casartelli his parents and had a big talk with them. Cannot find the coverage though.

He's walking, no fractures in his body, except his thumb, but his face is in bad condition. Lost his teeth, his mouth + some facial muscles in bad shape.

He's walking, no fractures in his body, except his thumb, but his face is in bad condition. Lost his teeth, his mouth + some facial muscles in bad shape.

Sounds absolutely horrific, but at least from a physical perspective, he'll still be able to cycle, if he wants to return. Whether he'll want to contest a sprint after this is another question

Stay strong Fabio

Reactions: Sandisfan
via Susan Westemeyer on Twitter:

"Patrick Lefevere no longer wants Groenewegen to go to jail, but still plans to go to court against him in Poland. "

View: https://twitter.com/WestemeyerSusan/status/1294180789400281088

Google translated

Patrick Lefevere flew in with a straight leg last week after the hard crash in the Tour of Poland, in which Fabio Jakobsen made a fall at the hands of Dylan Groenewegen that caused shocked reactions. The Deceuninck – Quick-Step foreman tweeted about an assassination attempt and thought that the Jumbo-Visma rider should go to jail. Now that tempers have calmed down, the 65-year-old Belgian takes back his words.

“Of course I have seen Dylan Groenewegen's apologies. I am not inhuman, I realize that he is also very moved and that he did not want Fabio's serious crash ”, Lefevere says in his column in Het Nieuwblad. “That does not alter the fact that he has made a mistake and that he has to bear the consequences. I take back that they should put him in jail - that was the emotion of the moment - but we continue our lawsuit against him. We know which steps to take to achieve this and we have also hired a Polish lawyer. ”

Jakobsen seems to have weathered last Wednesday's nasty crash relatively well. Last Wednesday, the 23-year-old top sprinter returned to the Netherlands. He will continue to work on his recovery at LUMC Leiden. “All things considered, everything is going well with Fabio Jakobsen. I've been in touch with him for the past few days via text message, the only way he can communicate at the moment. Talking works a little bit, but the cannula in his windpipe makes that very difficult. He's been talking to his dad for a while by covering the hole in his throat with a finger, whatever he wants to try. That's what Fabio is. ”
The fierce crash in the picture.

The outcome of the crash at extremely high speed could have been a lot worse for Jakobsen. Lefevere does say that the way back is long for the fast rider from Heukelum, who won two stages in the Tour of Spain in 2019. “Everyone is happy that Fabio is doing well, there is great belief that he will be a cyclist again, because they are no longer made harder than Fabio. But let's not pretend it is all of a sudden just positive. His face has to recover, his speech has to recover, Fabio is facing a long rehabilitation anyway. Sportingly, the damage is great: nobody will contradict me when I say that Fabio was on his way to become one of the best and perhaps the very best sprinter in the world. This rapid progression has now come to a halt. ”

Lefevere would like to see Jakobsen himself take action against Groenewegen. “Personally, I wouldn't think it was a bad idea that Fabio should also file a complaint against Groenewegen in the Netherlands, in his own name. That would make our position legally stronger, but it must be one hundred percent his own decision. Not mine, but certainly not those of his estate agents, who are involved on both sides of the fence. ”

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS