• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Jakobsen thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Glad to see him smile. The marks will forever be there (maybe they could've done an aesthetically better job, maybe some improvements are still to come), but if you think about what could've been the outcome...

A normal life won't be an issue anymore, which makes me happy. Now let's hope he can make a comeback as a pro cyclist. I'll be cheering when he wins a race.

In 2019 I was of the view that while Fabio was then marginally behind the very top sprinters in the world, he would soon be joining the very top tier and of all of them was the guy with the best chance to go on to Cavendish style dominance (albeit still a small chance because the sprint field is a lot deeper than it was when Cavendish was beating Tyler Farrar). Not a particularly insightful opinion really: he was clearly the youngest of the really fast sprinters.

Let’s hope he fulfils all the promise he had before his crash. He seems like an extremely resilient guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Jesus, that translation was bad.

I really feared his face would be a mess, like the kind of disfigured mess that is traumatic to look at in the mirror, which would have added a lot of psychological suffering on top of everything else. I'm really glad that's not the case.
Scars aside I think he does look a little different but more different than broken yeah.

I do wonder what the damage would be with nerve damage and sensation etc,

Glad to see him smile. The marks will forever be there (maybe they could've done an aesthetically better job, maybe some improvements are still to come), but if you think about what could've been the outcome...

A normal life won't be an issue anymore, which makes me happy. Now let's hope he can make a comeback as a pro cyclist. I'll be cheering when he wins a race.
He looks far better than I was imagining.

Good interview.

Sorry if I typed this at the time of the crash, but I wonder if the UCI has looked into using safety barriers like those used by Nitro Circus, X-Games, etc.? These barriers absorb most of the impact, and the riders don't go through them.

Just read the entire original article. I think i said something at the time, that the guy he smashed into at the finishline might have saved his life, it appears this was actually the case. I'm also glad to see he's very consistent in his thoughts regarding the crash and Groenewegen. He knows Dylan got a lot of hate and also needs to move on with his life, but on the other hand he is (and 100% rightfully so) rather critical of what Groenewegen did. No politic correct BS like "it could have happened to anyone" or "it's not his fault" or "he's a victim too". Also regarding damages, his uncertain future as a rider he has a very clear concept of how to place things. He was already my favorite sprinter (well, not that that's hard, but anyway) but my respect has only gone up, not because he's a victim or has to struggle, but because how he is handling these issues mentally and intellectually.

Might be me reading too much into it, but it seems that at least part of the reason he doesn't want to see Groenewegen just yet is for Groenewegen's sake.
Not how i read it at all.

Last edited:
Not how i read it at all.

TZ: Are the two of you in contact?

“He sent me a message asking how I was. I replied. Quite recently he asked if we could meet. I can understand that this matter is weighing heavily on his soul and that he seeks closure. But I’m not ready for it. First, I want to learn more about how my healing process is progressing. The better I feel, the better it is for him. He didn’t want this. And he is taking a lot of crap from anonymous people behind their keyboards – which is ridiculous. I sincerely hope that he can soon do what he is good at – sprinting – and that we can leave all this behind us.”

(My own boldning)
Basically, it'll be better for Groenewegen to wait until Jakobsen feels better. Besides, part of me could probably understand if Jakobsen felt bitter, and didn't want Groenewegen to get the closure, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: yaco
(My own boldning)
Basically, it'll be better for Groenewegen to wait until Jakobsen feels better. Besides, part of me could probably understand if Jakobsen felt bitter, and didn't want Groenewegen to get the closure, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I know what you mean, but it seems more like he's focusing on his rehab before wanting to think about that. Waiting until then being better for Groenewegen as well, is an effect, not a cause.

I know what you mean, but it seems more like he's focusing on his rehab before wanting to think about that. Waiting until then being better for Groenewegen as well, is an effect, not a cause.

Yes, but I still think it's admirable that he even considers Groenewegen in all of this. His comment - as quoted above - could have been like this:

Quite recently he asked if we could meet. I can understand that this matter is weighing heavily on his soul and that he seeks closure. But I’m not ready for it. First, I want to learn more about how my healing process is progressing.

Or even just this:

Quite recently he asked if we could meet. I can understand that this matter is weighing heavily on his soul and that he seeks closure. But I’m not ready for it.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLL3FO3nsrL/

The coming days look like this.... a lot of cooling ⛄ (and liquid food).

Yesterday I had another operation, that went well. The surgeons drilled implants in my upper and lower jaw and reconstructed the scars in my mouth.
For now a week of rest and let the body do it’s healing. Hopefully next week I can restart training again and build up towards races!

149093865_359763108436840_5476939290437384788_n.jpg
Do your best, hon, but also possibly your worst. (Going back on the bike ASAP.)

Teamdoctor Vanmol believes Fabio is ready for competition and will win again and that he won't be hesitant or scared in a sprint. He wants to be present when Fabio resumes racing again, and says it will be an emotional event for him as well.
He also wanted to set the record straight on Fabio being resuscitated for 40 minutes, as some reports had falsely claimed. This was not the case, Fabio had been stabilized for 40 minutes before transport to the hospital, which is something completely different. Someone who'd been resuscitated for that long, would not likely pull through.

Teamdoctor Vanmol believes Fabio is ready for competition and will win again and that he won't be hesitant or scared in a sprint. He wants to be present when Fabio resumes racing again, and says it will be an emotional event for him as well.
He also wanted to set the record straight on Fabio being resuscitated for 40 minutes, as some reports had falsely claimed. This was not the case, Fabio had been stabilized for 40 minutes before transport to the hospital, which is something completely different. Someone who'd been resuscitated for that long, would not likely pull through.
I see you also listen to the Vals Plat podcast 8)

TRENDING THREADS