• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fabulous Fantastic Floyd Fondo

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. What kind of people would want to align themselves with these doping cheats and pay money to do so?

He talks about "enjoying riding his bike" so why the need to put his name to a recreational ride? Is it really just to make some $$$ from dope-blind USPS fanboys?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pabst azzuri

floyd-landis.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
I don't get it. What kind of people would want to align themselves with these doping cheats and pay money to do so?

Felix_Waves_Hello_by_CartoonFanaticDude22.jpg

Only a couple of hours away.

Alpe, you gonna join me now that you've moved to the cool part of the country?

The organizer can pull it off. Mr. Drake does one of the most popular amateur USAC sanctioned road races in the country.

What would come as no surprise is if USAC makes up a reason to deny him race sanctioning.

Why do the proceeds need to go someplace special? The promoters are in it to make money for themselves, not some charity. Or, if you want to pretend proceeds from the event go to charity, the promoter charges a fee for the event that manages to soak up most of the profit, then everything after that goes to a charity.

Or, if you want to do it like Wonderboy, claim there's a benefit to charity and split the proceeds at the last minute.

Lots of ways around this concept of charity athletic events that don't really benefit a charity.

TrackCynic said:

He talks about "enjoying riding his bike" so why the need to put his name to a recreational ride? Is it really just to make some $$$ from dope-blind USPS fanboys?

Like Tommy D and his Malibu camps and rides?

i almost spit out my drink when Benson first tweeted this and almost responded with f*ck me, you can't be serious.

the article was up a minute later and i hadn't damaged my keyboard so no harm, no foul.

i've never done a gran fondo and likely never will. but, if i did, i'd really like to go to this one... i still like Floyd and think he would be a hoot to ride with.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
arjanh said:
Why would this be any worse than, for instance, the Granfondo Marco Pantani?

It's not any worse, but it's just as bad. There is a seam of hypocrisy by some Clinic members that it was OK for Pantani, Vino and some others to dope. In my eyes they are all cheats.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
It's not any worse, but it's just as bad. There is a seam of hypocrisy by some Clinic members that it was OK for Pantani, Vino and some others to dope. In my eyes they are all cheats.

There's a big difference between the GF Marco Pantani & the GF Floyd. GF Marco Pantani was created to commemorate one of the best climbers in modern history 2 years after his death. He never profited from it at all.

That said, those that castigate Landis for ripping off contributors to the FFF might want to check who the bulk of those "poor" contributors were. Armstrong & co were the main ones.

TRENDING THREADS