• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
Does the same team go number 1 in all rounds. I know thats how they do things in the states but usually the team's that go last already have the best teams anyway.
1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-5 et cetera

That still gives a massive advantage to the team that picks 1 since they get dibs in the better rounds. Personally I think it's more fair if it's
1
Abc
2
Cba
3
Cba
4
Abc
5
Abc
6
Cba

But it's not a big deal and ultimately up to the organizer.
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
Does the same team go number 1 in all rounds. I know thats how they do things in the states but usually the team's that go last already have the best teams anyway.
1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-5 et cetera

That still gives a massive advantage to the team that picks 1 since they get dibs in the better rounds. Personally I think it's more fair if it's
1
Abc
2
Cba
3
Cba
4
Abc
5
Abc
6
Cba

But it's not a big deal and ultimately up to the organizer.

idk what the most fair system is to be honest. It probably depends on how you view the riders. If there are 1-3 riders that are miles ahead then obviously having an early pick is a huge advantage, but in a more even field it doesn't matter that much.

The main reason I suggested the 1-2-3-3-2-1 is because it's the least complicated one, but open for more input.
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
ok so far we have

libertine seguros
the hitch
zlev11
the sceptic

anyone else want to play please post in the thread. will probably start as soon as we get a decent amount of players.
 
May 22, 2011
146
0
0
Visit site
I am surprised nobody picked Davide Rebellin (perhaps I missed it). If there was ever a stretch like he had in the Ardennes classics a few year back that one took the cake for the most ridiculous performances ever.
 
I'm in as well, this should be really fun.

arthurvandelay said:
I am surprised nobody picked Davide Rebellin (perhaps I missed it). If there was ever a stretch like he had in the Ardennes classics a few year back that one took the cake for the most ridiculous performances ever.

I love and admire Rebellin, but he's definitely not a GT guy. He's sadly useless for this contest. :(
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
will probably wait a bit more to see if more people will join before we get going. please remember to not talk about riders that haven't been drafted yet though.
 
Re:

the sceptic said:
I think riders should be picked based on their peak GT performance. So for instance if you pick Horner you'll take the 2013 vuelta version.

Can I have for example Cancellara in his peak moterbike form(2010 classics, Mendrisio, Peking...) or only GT performance matters for classic riders too?
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

PunchingRouleur said:
the sceptic said:
I think riders should be picked based on their peak GT performance. So for instance if you pick Horner you'll take the 2013 vuelta version.

Can I have for example Cancellara in his peak moterbike form(2010 classics, Mendrisio, Peking...) or only GT performance matters for classic riders too?

hmm, interesting question. I think since the game is about GT only GT performance should count.

Netserk said:
No riders have been drafted yet, right? :confused:

Yeah, I meant as a general rule so people don't get screwed out of their picks by other people talking about them.
 
Re:

MagnificentMerckx said:
David Moncoutié
Cadel Evans
Chris Boardman
Carlos Sastre
Greg Lemond
Christophe Bassons
Dan Martin
Nicholas Roche
Andrew Hampsten

The clean team ?

Throw out LeMond. He barely beat a doping Fignon and Big Mig kicked his butt. And, if you want him on a doping team he needs to play by the rules and agree to dope.

Even if you told him it was ok, he is kind of weird about the whole thing and almost certainly wouldn't play along.

Thus, next to useless on a doping squad and kind of spoils the whole 'fantasy' thing.

Dave.
 
A couple of posts hint competition between the teams that will come out, whereas the thread indicates "draft" and no more. I don't see how we could establish a winner in a race format. On the other hand, I see how we could come up the most outrageous 9-guy roster, with hilarious explanations for their selection, and let the non-participants vote, i.e. in a vote-style option like CN does. I would suggest that we try to keep teams somewhat balanced (not to forget the TTT), basically a GT squad with monument contenders...maybe non-dopers welcome, they will be the ones with an asterisk :D

After all, one guy with a good blatter can fill up 8 condoms for his team mates every morning, just in case, and hang on to the gruppetto ;)

BTW, will Merckxindex be in charge of the lab?
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
libertine seguros
the hitch
zlev11
the sceptic
TheGreenMonkey
tonton
netserk
burning
zam

anyone else that posted in the thread also want to be in? I will write up the official rules and then we can get started tonight or tomorrow
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
2
0
Visit site
ok, these are the official rules of the draft:

- the goal of the game is to create the best possible 9 man team for a hypothetical GT. It's up to you how to compose your team.
- any rider from 1990 until the present time can be picked.
- riders will be picked based on their peak GT performance, i.e. you will have to decide which GT your rider had the best shape.
- please write a few lines on why you picked your guy and how he will fit in your team.
- don't name-drop riders that have yet to be drafted.
- the draft order as per Hitch' suggestion will be
ABC
CBA
CBA
ABC
ABC
CBA
CBA
ABC
etc.
 

TRENDING THREADS