• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Farrar's sprint

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
jwbowman said:
that I wanted to see answered at this year's TdF was "Can anyone beat Cavendish?" With Farrar's injury, I won't get a clear answer. I hope Farrar can hang on through the mountain stages and will be closer to 100% health in the flat stages later on.

Let's wait and see if Ale-jet can come back with an stage victory again... He is in his form but the HTC has made everything perfect for Manxman in this last two stages...

Garmin's biggest problem is the way they have led out the sprint over the last two stages. They have been trying to set up their train and control the front of the field for the entire last kilometer (like Columbia did so effectively last year) and in doing so are playing right into Columbia's hands.

First they aren't collectively fast enough to put the other sprinters teams into difficulty, and second by going so early they end up timing the sprint incorrectly and end up stranding their sprinter with no final lead out man too far from the line. The last two stages this has resulted in Renshaw and Cavendish getting a free ride for the final kilometer depositing them in a perfect position where as the Garmin train fizzles out Garmin's sprinter is left to take on both Renshaw and Cavendish on their own.

Garmin needs to try to sit back more and let Columbia pull in the final kilometer. I don't think Columbia has the train strong enough to be able to control the front of the race for the entire final kilometer like they did last year.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Cav should pull up at the line and point at his wrist in celebration, just to drive home that he is strongest.

Ah yes, a fitting tribute to the brave British soldier in that battle in 1487 against the French where the French cut to hands of British prisoners who then revolted and won the battle by clubbing the French to death with their bleeding stumps. Moving story that.

A

Anonymous

Oldman said:
Right again, Mac. It helps that Renshaw could likely win on his own.
When Tyler was younger he displayed the exact attributes you describe and several local guys can beat him on that 100-200 meter snap(locals that have beaten serious pros). That kind of kick is genetic and Cav has it and Tyler can't train it. He'll win if he gets an absolutley ballistic leadout because he has the top end but at this point Renshaw is completely using Garmin's and Lampre's trains if jhis doesn't materialize. Cav should be bowing before Mark.

I take it from this that you might be in the general area? If so - any word on his dad? How is he doing?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:
I take it from this that you might be in the general area? If so - any word on his dad? How is he doing?

He was in Wenatchee during the Giro and looking in good spirits but I don't know him directly. Would leave details to whatever Tyler wants to discuss.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Ah yes, a fitting tribute to the brave British soldier in that battle in 1487 against the French where the French cut to hands of British prisoners who then revolted and won the battle by clubbing the French to death with their bleeding stumps. Moving story that.

I could totally hear that in the shacks Alphonse commercial series

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Cav should be bowing before Mark.

I've never seen a rider who gives more credit to his team than Cavendish and I think he does "bow before" Renshaw, and the rest. Short of getting down and kissing Renshaw's shoes he couldn't do much more. I certainly can't see Cav gifting a stage like he did at the Giro with his close friend Greipel ;):p but I remember last year him saying he might lead out Renshaw in the Tour down Under until his problems all started and he pulled out. Maybe next year, it would certainly be a nice gesture.

And I've never seen anyone who blames himself so much when he ballses up.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Cav admited he didnt have the legs in that early stage but as for Tyler he should concentrate more and was just a bit too cautious this time.

He is more focused during the sunglasses advert apart from eyeing up that young woman every time.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
jwbowman said:
that I wanted to see answered at this year's TdF was "Can anyone beat Cavendish?" With Farrar's injury, I won't get a clear answer. I hope Farrar can hang on through the mountain stages and will be closer to 100% health in the flat stages later on.

Actually this has already been answered - Petacchi did it in Stage 4.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Blakeslee said:
Garmin's biggest problem is the way they have led out the sprint over the last two stages. They have been trying to set up their train and control the front of the field for the entire last kilometer (like Columbia did so effectively last year) and in doing so are playing right into Columbia's hands.

First they aren't collectively fast enough to put the other sprinters teams into difficulty, and second by going so early they end up timing the sprint incorrectly and end up stranding their sprinter with no final lead out man too far from the line. The last two stages this has resulted in Renshaw and Cavendish getting a free ride for the final kilometer depositing them in a perfect position where as the Garmin train fizzles out Garmin's sprinter is left to take on both Renshaw and Cavendish on their own.

Garmin needs to try to sit back more and let Columbia pull in the final kilometer. I don't think Columbia has the train strong enough to be able to control the front of the race for the entire final kilometer like they did last year.

That was true before stage 5, but then they started using their GC guys to do what Hincapie did last year. Proabably not quite as good as having mr.varicose vein of the century governing proceedings, but imagine this would have the desired effect, and leave Renshaw at full strength, which he's certainly displayed in the last two wins.

Since Garmin clearly don't have an entire team as strong as HTC that they can use in that way, they should (as written in this thread) let HTC bring it in before going out with their 3 man train...which they really need to practise a hell of a lot more.

Tyler gets props for being fast enough to come in second whilst injured, but i can't see him winning with this kind of approach regardless, unless HTC gets it wrong/is disrupted, as per stage 4.