• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite Cycling Books

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm just finishing two wonderful books on cycling: Samuel Abt's "Off to the Races: 25 Years of Cycling Journalism" and Paul Fournel's "Need for the Bike." These books both really get what it means to be a cyclist (the former in and around the pro peloton and the latter as someone of no real talent who simply loves the bike). I'm fortunate to have discovered two such great books, but am saddened that they're coming to an end. Since I need to start shopping for my next cycling read, I would be eager to hear what are other's favorites (I'm thinking of grabbing Jean Bobet's "Tomorrow, We Ride"). So, what are the great (English language) cycling books?

Dave

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
*G*K*S* said:
I just finished "A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium"

I've heard great things about this book. However, with all that's gone on in professional cycling the past several years, I don't think that I have the stomach to read this one... (sticking my head in the sand and thinking dreamily of my bike)

Dave

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Biciclette Bianchi said:
I've heard great things about this book. However, with all that's gone on in professional cycling the past several years, I don't think that I have the stomach to read this one... (sticking my head in the sand and thinking dreamily of my bike)

Dave

Just skip over the Drug parts and enjoy the Mud, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty of Belgium chapters of the book. It's worth it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh, no. If you want insightful, forensic accounts of racing within the broader context of a complex society, then opt for Rendell.

If you want a simplified but pertinant romantic tale of The Race, Krabbé is your man.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I got given Matt Rendell's "The Death of Marco Pantani" for Christmas last year but I must say I didn't think much of it. I don't think I even finished it.

Probably my favourite cycling book is "Put Me Back on my Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson" by William Fotheringham. It's a very honest look at Simpson's life and the state of drug use in pro cycling in the late 60s and early 70s.

Stani Kléber said:
Oh, no. If you want insightful, forensic accounts of racing within the broader context of a complex society, then opt for Rendell.

If you want a simplified but pertinant romantic tale of The Race, Krabbé is your man.

the pantani book was like pantani's career: it started well, set high expectations, but ended up being one disappointment after the other.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This isn't a racing book, but Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush, wrote a really interesting book about a bike tour through Africa. I think it was called The Masked Rider, but I could be wrong.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Graeme Fife's Inside the Peleton, and his new tour de france one are both great reads, and Russell Mockridge the man in front by Martin Curtis is good. Its about an Australian cyclist dual olympic gold medalist and had just broken into the european peleton and had ridden the tour but was killed when hit by a bus due to a missing marshall during competiton in 1958.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
lauaxeta said:
Paul Kimmage....Rough Ride
Matt Rendell......The Death Of Marco Pantani

Was just going to mention Rough Ride - excellent book and the first real and honest insight to the mind of a domestique, and written in English too. Whatever your thoughts of Kimmage, it is an important document of our sport in the late 1980s.

The Rendell book is a good, if rather painstakingly forensic book - the detail on his career and life is fascinating, without descending into the hagiographic; the drug stuff is heavy going though. Very eductaional in some ways. Apparently, he is poorly perceived by many for abusing the trust of Pantani's folks. Anyone know more or care to comment?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Argon Man said:
Graeme Fife's Inside the Peleton, and his new tour de france one are both great reads.

+1 to Graham Fife "Tour de France"

Fascinating account of tour history. Makes you realise that the modern riders are soft.:D

TRENDING THREADS