• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite riders?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Wow,Reading through this thread I've discovered that Nobody likes my man Alberto!

The way he seemed to be able too use all the negative sh!te as added motivation was pretty impressive IMHO. Also, he looks so tidy and aero on the bike, which is cool to watch....the pistol thing is a bit much, but I wondered if the Spanish are more demonstrative....kind of like the Italians have nicknames that seem totally OTT to english speakers....or maybe its just a good gimmick for the sponsors' photos

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Schlecks are 1-2 faves, closely followed by Jens Voigt and Spartacus (Saxo's got all the cool guys??), Tom Boonen, Hincapie and Robbie Mac as well as the all the riders from NZ :D

And despite the fact both of them seem to be hated by many, you've gotta give it to Armstrong and Cav.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
IVAN GUTIERREZ: One of the most passionate riding now--amazing time trialist, accomplished climber, always aggressive and one of the hardest working domestiques (also a rep for all cyclists.) A pleasure to watch.

ROMAN KREUZINGER: Anxious to see where is career goes.

NRC PROS: It's great watching them succeed in the U.S. or rise to ProTour. Zirbel, Swindlehurst, King (s), Sutherland, Haedo, Busche...so many.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong, Spartacus, Devolder, Hushovd, Cavendish, Voigt, Hincapie, Schleck brothers...

I really respect all who have the ability and dedication to ride at the pro level!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Opichi said:
IVAN GUTIERREZ: One of the most passionate riding now--amazing time trialist, accomplished climber, always aggressive and one of the hardest working domestiques (also a rep for all cyclists.) A pleasure to watch.

+1

IMO Gutierrez is one of the most valuable domestiques in the sport.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Cunego, Robert Gesink, Kenny van Hummel, Tom Boonen...

Contador's attitude during the last Tour also made him a favorite for me. I think he composed himself well.

I live in Italy, but am American, and I have to say knowing a bit about the firery Tuscan attitude and their romantic and tough approach to cycling, the way Paolo Bettini could win those races, when he was on his game, was the most exciting cycling I think I've ever watched. His back-to-back Worlds titles were just phenomenal to witness.

It doesn't make him my favorite rider, but he's surly up there...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well, for me there are a number of names I watch out for. And knowing me, I'm surely going to forget someone...
Either way. I watch out for the following (in no specific order):
Thomas Lövkvist, Sébastian Langeveld, Andy Schleck, Fränk Schleck, Philippe Gilbert, Sébastien Chavanel, Koos Moerenhout, Damiano Cunego, Kim Kirchen, Gustav Erik Larsson....

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Amazing how little Lance features in this thread considering the focus of the news site and the adverts round these parts.

For myself I prefer riders from an earlier era. as for Lance, I can never tell if he is racing or retired with all of the over-exposure

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Hard not to like Voeckler or Voight. But Zabriskie has got to be my favorite- half the times he sounds like he just took a bong hit before being interviewed….not that I condone such things. Also, and I might take some flak for this, but Danielson. Watching him on Mt Evans is always amazing. Gotta hold out hope for the future. I also like Cancellara for his daring break off the front at the TDF last year beating the sprinters. I go for a humble personality over pure winning ability. One reason I have moved away from LA, even though he was $%^$ impressive to watch a few years back. I also am moving away from AC for a similar reason- that pistol thing annoys me to no end.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
No other Vino fans out there either??

I'm sorta surprised that nobody has either: A) jumped on the Vino bandwagon; or B) disagreed heartily. That said, I am glad this thread hasn't degenerated into a bash-fest like many others do when certain names are mentioned.

Anyway - found this pic from the '05 TDF finish in Paris, and even though the T-Mobile team tactics were inexplicable (this year's LA vs. AC drama was like deja vu all over again ;) ) - you gotta like the way Vino made an emphatic point to his team bosses and schooled all the sprinters on the Champs Elysees...

I guess I just like riders who can play the spoiler now and then...

9bg3gp.jpg

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
wheels55 said:
No other Vino fans out there either??

I'm sorta surprised that nobody has either: A) jumped on the Vino bandwagon; or B) disagreed heartily. That said, I am glad this thread hasn't degenerated into a bash-fest like many others do when certain names are mentioned.

Anyway - found this pic from the '05 TDF finish in Paris, and even though the T-Mobile team tactics were inexplicable (this year's LA vs. AC drama was like deja vu all over again ;) ) - you gotta like the way Vino made an emphatic point to his team bosses and schooled all the sprinters on the Champs Elysees...

I guess I just like riders who can play the spoiler now and then...

9bg3gp.jpg
Funny enough, the biggest impact that Vino had, after that victory in your picture, was on Levi Leipheimer.
Vino pushed Levi out of the top 5 by not only finishing ahead of Levi, but by taking the stage victory to add insult to injury. I, personally, don't like Vino, but he showed a lot more heart than Levi could muster, when all the chips were on the table. It was a memorable finale on the Champs Elysees, for two men, in diametrically opposed ways.
The Ecstacy of Victory, and the Agony of Defeat

TRENDING THREADS