• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite climbs

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Not the same as the 10 climbs before you die. These are your personal favs from experience. Perhaps they will offer some inspiration for those planning trips.

I really enjoyed the Col de la Core in the Pyrenees (west side). Some lovely views boths sides and the weather was nice at the time!

Col de Vars in the Alpes (south side) has some lovely views and a good little steep bit near the summit. Plus a cafe at the top!

North side of the the Allos looked lovely but I was coming down so that can't count for me.

Least fav climb is the Lautaret. from either side. last time I did the the Bourg side it was chucking it down and there was a horrific headwind that was buffeting me about. On the one section where the road switches back itself my speed literally doubled and my heart rate plummeted. No fun.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll cheat a little and go the Sella Ring (Gruppo Sella) in the Dolomite. Four great climbs of varying difficulty over a 60km loop. Can be done in either direction. Each climb is different - 33 hairpins through open green fields (Pordoi), steep climbs through pink Dolomite rock face (Gardena) and beautiful views that go for ever. All have Cafes at the top (from memory).

If you're there for a few days (staying in Corvara, Cortina etc) there are about 6 other fantastic climbs that can be done within a 80km loop.

Someone has posted some great photos of the ride in snowy April here (I did it in high, hot, summer). http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7150

Dolomites:
Giau, south/west side. Fairly hard, the view during the climb nothing really special, but once you reach the top, fantastic.

French alps:
Bonette south side, wonderful, late afternoon early evening, really beautiful.

Pyrenees
Enjoyed Paihères, east, not really sure why myself, but by far my favourite climb in the pyrenees.

Swiss alps:
Not sure..Ofen beautiful but vey easy. Maybe Nufenen from Airolo?

Hard to pick out one individual climb, top few would be:

Petit St Bernard from Bourg, nice and easy tempo climb.
Montgenevre from Briancon (only on sundays due to no lorries)
Col d'Izoard from Guillestre, the col I climb most often.
Col du Telegraphe/Galibier

Only trouble with the latter is you must be on top form to enjoy it in any way.

Other top climbs,

col de Vars from either side
Cime de la Bonette from Jausiers
Col d'Agnel

On the to-do list:

Col du Mont Cenis
Col de l'Iseran
Col de Granon

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Altimax said:
Hard to pick out one individual climb, top few would be:

Petit St Bernard from Bourg, nice and easy tempo climb.
Montgenevre from Briancon (only on sundays due to no lorries)
Col d'Izoard from Guillestre, the col I climb most often.
Col du Telegraphe/Galibier

Only trouble with the latter is you must be on top form to enjoy it in any way.

Other top climbs,

col de Vars from either side
Cime de la Bonette from Jausiers
Col d'Agnel

On the to-do list:

Col du Mont Cenis
Col de l'Iseran
Col de Granon

Superb list. Col d'Izoard and the Cold du Galibier are real beasts. Galibier has some long, straight sections. The Col d'Izoard is deceptively tough. The top never seems to come because there are so many spots that you think you are close, but the road turns and it takes 4x as long to crest the very, very top.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Inch Worm said:
I'll cheat a little and go the Sella Ring (Gruppo Sella) in the Dolomite. Four great climbs of varying difficulty over a 60km loop. Can be done in either direction. Each climb is different - 33 hairpins through open green fields (Pordoi), steep climbs through pink Dolomite rock face (Gardena) and beautiful views that go for ever. All have Cafes at the top (from memory).

If you're there for a few days (staying in Corvara, Cortina etc) there are about 6 other fantastic climbs that can be done within a 80km loop.

Someone has posted some great photos of the ride in snowy April here (I did it in high, hot, summer). http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7150

Thats a great ride. I did the Maratona this year and had a blast.

Many good climbs listed here, so I thought I would add a descent. I have raced down the Col de Sarenne a few times and it is amazing.

TRENDING THREADS