• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

favourite giro's climb?

favorite giro's climb

• others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
210-PIC197991720-1.jpg

/thread

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It was a hard choice between the Finestre and the Mortirolo, but I've opted for the Mortirolo.

What I like about both climbs is that at the moment the top is passed, the action still continues with a sharp descent and another climb.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
in which parallel universe? :eek:

OK. The 2008 Giro stage was absolutely dead, sort of the yesterday's Pampeago with the difference that the riders were dying even slower. Only Ricco tried to revive the situation in a way, but he failed too by and large. The 2011 passing was an absolute transit with no action, except for Nibali who destroyed himself with an idiotic attack on the descent from Giau. I realize that's the problem for all non-finish climbs but doesnt change anything. There was nothing on Fedaia. Nothing.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
This is the Giro, picking one climb is impossible. I love Fedaia and Finestre but felt compelled to pick Tre Cime, mainly cos of the 2007 and 1989 stages.

airstream said:
OK. The 2008 Giro stage was absolutely dead, sort of the yesterday's Pampeago with the difference that the riders were dying even slower. Only Ricco tried to revive the situation in a way, but he failed too by and large. The 2011 passing was an absolute transit with no action, except for Nibali who destroyed himself with an idiotic attack on the descent from Giau. I realize that's the problem for all non-finish climbs but doesnt change anything. There was nothing on Fedaia. Nothing.
Beside the fact that Contador attacked on Fedaia more than he did on Giau, the presence of Fedaia was essential in that stage. Had not been there, no one would have dared to attack earlier than the final climb.

airstream said:

Apart from Arroyo attacking, Contador, Rodríguez and Kruijswijk following, the shelling of the final wheat from the chaff as people like Betancur were finally shelled, the break splintering to pieces with Nieve catching and dropping Hoogerland and then Bakelandts to make it to the summit in 2nd position, Sella and di Luca crashing through other break mates on their way up with the favourites chasing behind?

Fedaia is a great compromise - it's steep enough to cause serious suffering, but not so steep that the racing is purely attritional like it often is on climbs like Anglirú and Zoncolán - intra- and inter-group tactics can still play a role on Fedaia. And all the while in a stunning backdrop.

If Fedaia causes boring racing, then surely you must have been in a coma throughout most Tour climbs.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Apart from Arroyo attacking, Contador, Rodríguez and Kruijswijk following, the shelling of the final wheat from the chaff as people like Betancur were finally shelled, the break splintering to pieces with Nieve catching and dropping Hoogerland and then Bakelandts to make it to the summit in 2nd position, Sella and di Luca crashing through other break mates on their way up with the favourites chasing behind?

Fedaia is a great compromise - it's steep enough to cause serious suffering, but not so steep that the racing is purely attritional like it often is on climbs like Anglirú and Zoncolán - intra- and inter-group tactics can still play a role on Fedaia. And all the while in a stunning backdrop.

If Fedaia causes boring racing, then surely you must have been in a coma throughout most Tour climbs.

OK. Then what defines whether racing is boring or not? For me it's obviously an intrigue in the fight for top places. On what Arroyo's attack could affect? It's even difficult to call an attack. The man just was hanging at the distance of 20 sec for a little while and then dropped. Racing on Fedaia was very closed. Yes, Nibali's move splitted the group into 8-10 best riders and the rest, but it happened before Fedaia by and large. The climb is still very hard, probably like a half of Zoncolan something like that. In my view, too lengthy 10%+ sections rather reduce spectacle. I like Agnel from Italian side a lot though. 8k at 10% over 2.000m is a real extreme. It's pity the races are unlikely to finish on here...

TRENDING THREADS