• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Groupset

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
I suppose no tech section can be without a simple quick fire question like what is your favorite group set?

Personally my favorite is by far Sram Red, i've been running it for a few weeks on my bike now and it is a cut above the rest. At first I was concerned about the double tap system but i found after 2 rides It felt so responsive and the shift was positive and satisfactory. The chainset is just out of this world, the acceleration after just a quick step on the pedals is amazing. In general I would never have anything else, it looks great, it feels great, and it performs great. I would defiantly recommend it.

A

Anonymous

How is the SRAM shifter feel compared the the buttery smooth Ultegra LS/Dura-Ace feel? I hear it's more "clicky" feeling compared to Shimano stuff. I assume it's what some describe as a "positive" feel.

I haven't had a chance to play with any of it yet and was comtemplating the '09 SRAM Rival gruppo since it's more in my price range. Anyone with any experience with Rival stuff?

Currently I have the Ultegra SL gruppo and love it compared to the 9spd 105 level I had on my prior bike. It's such a big difference in feel between the two groups even within the same brand name.

A

Anonymous

Unless you need pro-grade durability, Ultegra has always seems to me a bargain: it works well, looks good and it's a sensible weight.

I think it's a safe bet that the 2010 vesin will have the same chainset design and under-tape cable routing as 2009 Dura-Ace, at which point I think it's time my Ultegra-equipped bike got treated to a facelift!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i'm riding a combo Red (crankset), Force (derailleurs), and Rival (brakes) set up. although it is not a smooth as ultegra or DA, shifts are lightning fast w/very short shifter throws. you can't beat the trickle-down technologie SRAM offers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Although I've been a Campagnolo user for years with 2 bikes fitted with Record 10, I've been seriously thinking on "taking the leap" to Sram. I've read many pro's and con's of this group, and tested the Red group at NAHBS last year on a static display, I felt it was kind of notchy feeling. But it did change fast, and I've heard they have improved it for this year. I also love the way new DuraAce shifts. They have finally gotten rid of the cat wiskers I so detested on their previous designs, and I could seriously do DuraAce on a new Crumpton or Calfee. I know for certain it won't be Campy 11 speed. That just seems like an answer to a question nobody ever asked. I've loved Campy for years, now it could be time to move on.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
For me, and my riding I can't go past Ultegra. (ie commuting and recreational riding only.)

It just seems to be the best compromise between Price and Feel.

Made in Vicenza...

Campagnolo Chorus. All the performance of Record at a significant $$ savings. I have three Chorus bikes and three Centaur bikes between my wife and me.

Until '08 Centaur was as good a gruppo as anyone really needed but Campy screwed the pooch with the "Escape" mechanism in '08 and the shifting feel of the redesigned '09 Centaur levers is way too light.

I have a sizeable stash of Chorus 10 and pre-'08 Centaur squirreled away so I won't be going 11 for a long while. Maybe I'll wait for 12-speed...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have used Shimano from Sora through to Durace and everything in between and still use Durace on my time trial bike, but when it comes to my raod bikes nothing compares to Campag Record, I have this on two of my bikes and all of my durace and ultegra 10 has been forfited to my wife and sons bikes.
The feel and performance of Campag is second to none and it just looks sexy

The new Shimano Durace looks awfull

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
I have to agree, i dont like the new dura ace that much. After building it up at work I decided it looked too bulky, as for the shifting. Yes it is smooth but i think that's how it is on the Market. Shimano = Ultimatly Smooth Sram = Ultimatly Precise Campag = Ultimatly Nice.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Matt.Booth said:
I have to agree, i dont like the new dura ace that much. After building it up at work I decided it looked too bulky, as for the shifting. Yes it is smooth but i think that's how it is on the Market. Shimano = Ultimatly Smooth Sram = Ultimatly Precise Campag = Ultimatly Nice.

Well put. I have DA and ultegra and find both excellent, if you have the extra cash or race go DA. I find alot of Italian gear has an extra few euro added on cause its 'nice' 'sexy' 'stylish' etc etc.... I'd still buy Italian but I ain't being fooled.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I use the 08 Dura ace and love it. I reckon its great. I am yet to try sram red but reckon it would be the best by far.

I don't like or agree with the new Shimano Di2 concept. I mean electric shifting??? It's only just legal, looks ugly and, i think defeats half the purpose of cycling.

If we are starting to see electric drive trains now, what will we be seeing in 10 years time??? definately the 'pure stuff' of the last decade. I think cycling is becoming more of a science than a sport for some.

For mtb, XTR is wicked. I do love the avid juicy ultimate brakes though. very nice.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I love my Ultegra SL. Smooth as silk at a great price. Its great when you ride with the guys that are used to hearing clunk, whirr and click all the time because they don't hear me stealth shifting as I blow by them :D but seriously folks what I saved on the groupset I spent upgrading to better wheels.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sold my Ultegra SL & am quite happy with the new Sachs Rival 09 , changed out the chainrings which were made from Coke tin ...but ultimately nothing betters a nice 76" singlespeed that is until Sunrace get their act together with their 3sp fixed.

A

Anonymous

ezratm said:
The new Shimano Durace looks awfull

Eye of the beholder. I like it, but it's very 'industrial' rather than the sleek curves we've gotten used to in bike gear in recent years.

That said, I think the old Campagnolo Record C was probably the most beautiful component group anyone ever made.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chorus. The quality and performance is superb - working perfect for years.
Even if nobody have asked for 11speed, "everybody" are asking for a bit different cassette (one extra high gear, one lower, a bit narrower) - that's what the 11 speed is adressing. (But since my old Chorus are still working perfect, I will not buy a new groupset this year.)
Shimano shifting is fine for a nice Sunday trip - but even after 4 years I still had problems with the multi-function operation in though races - the sidewards brake level operation to shift resulted in a shift&brake.. (And it tikest too long time to shift on gear in each operation).
Have not tried SRAM.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sram is adorable :) The shifting system is great! I don't have the system on my bike, though...

I tried Sram Force for about 1000 km last summer in the Alps, and it's great, I really love the "clicking" system! I only have Ultegra on my bike now, but my next bike next year will definately be with Sram gears. If I have enough money...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I rode Sram Force and Red a bit and I must say, Red was fast and clever but nothing beats my Shimano Dura-Ace. Smooth, quiet, quick, oh and smooth. You can score '08 DA for KILLER prices. I just built up my wife's bike with full DA (Force compact crankset)for pretty cheap.

I have not ridden modern Campy but they look good. :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have SRAM Red shifters, cassette, fd, rd; TRP 950SL brakes; Easton EC90 cranks on my Colnago CX-1. It's great, they work well together.

And for my workhorse Cannondale System Six: Full Dura Ace--It's great too.

I haven't tried Campy, I'm sure I'd love it too!:)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
SRAM Red Vs Dura-Ace 7800

I had only used Shimano Dura-Ace 7800 until I changed to SRAM Red about 6 months ago. I have two bikes & would regularly ride both as both were equipped with 7800. Since changing to SRAM Red on one of my bikes, my second bike with 7800 has been riden once! SRAM Red is vastly superior to 7800 and so it should be given it came along 6 or so years later (I think!). My only critisism of SRAM Red is the difficulty I have getting off my rear wheel when I need to change a tyre, tube or cassette. The rear wheel doesn't just drop out like it does with Shimano. You end up getting covered in grease & filth & doing this in a race (which luckily I haven't had to do YET) will definately take longer for the wheel change which means a longer harder chase!
I have just read the review of Shimano 7900 with great interest. Having not riden it yet, I can't really comment but can see through the pics & explanation that it could have been better! I'm not a big fan of the dark brushed look & would urge Shimano to bring out a Silver version (as per 7800) asap. That couldn't be that hard for a comapany as big as Shimano?
Alright, one more question that someone out there might be able to help me with. Although I ride SRAM Red, since wearing out my first chain & cassette, I have been mixing groups. I've been running an Ultegra cassette & dura-ace chain which work brilliantly, infact better than the original SRAM chain & cassette. I have heard that the Red chain and cassette have since been improved. Can I run the new Dura-Ace 7900 chain & cassette with the rest of the SRAM Red groupset? The new chain & cassette sound great so I hope I can!
See ya on the road!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have two bikes - one with DA 7800 and one with Campy Chorus. The DA is precise and shifts smoothly - but is atrocious to look at. Campy is much more pleasing to eye and performs as expected.

I've never tried SRAM, but have heard the shifts are loud - have heard some users found this to be detrimental. But all agree it is strong performer for the money.

If price were no object and I was building my dream bike (Crumpton SL), I'd go with Campy Super Record. The look and ergonomic feel of this group is amazing - much nicer fit of brake hoods to hand than the DA 7900.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
nobrakes said:
Although I've been a Campagnolo user for years with 2 bikes fitted with Record 10, I've been seriously thinking on "taking the leap" to Sram. I've read many pro's and con's of this group, and tested the Red group at NAHBS last year on a static display, I felt it was kind of notchy feeling. But it did change fast, and I've heard they have improved it for this year. I also love the way new DuraAce shifts. They have finally gotten rid of the cat wiskers I so detested on their previous designs, and I could seriously do DuraAce on a new Crumpton or Calfee. I know for certain it won't be Campy 11 speed. That just seems like an answer to a question nobody ever asked. I've loved Campy for years, now it could be time to move on.

The best thing about 2009 Campagnolo, is NOT 11s, IMHO. Much more ergonomic levers, completely new lever innards(no more broken spring carriers or shift springs) and the abandonment of the goofy Escape/QS found in 2007/8 Centaur and below groups. 11s is interesting because of some new interior cogs on 11-25 and a 12-27 but not the major improvment.

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
The new levers do look rather special. I dont like the shape of the shimano lever i never feel comfortable, Sram is awesome extremly comfortable. But the Campag shifters look the best shape for hands.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
The best thing about 2009 Campagnolo, is NOT 11s, IMHO. Much more ergonomic levers, completely new lever innards(no more broken spring carriers or shift springs) and the abandonment of the goofy Escape/QS found in 2007/8 Centaur and below groups. 11s is interesting because of some new interior cogs on 11-25 and a 12-27 but not the major improvment.

I certainly agree with you that the newer shape of the lever looks more comfortable than my present 10 spd Record levers, but in reality I never have had a comfort issue with them. That said, I've always liked the older, pointy levers from the older 8 spd Record levers that I modified for 9 spd. In fact,that shifter/lever now resides on my wife's bike, and she prefers them to the shape on my newer levers.
I do like that we won't have to worry about worn g-springs with 11 spd. They do seem to be quite an improvement in functionality, but I would wonder if those improvements would have been enough to keep the 10 speed system competitive with Sram and DuraAce?

TRENDING THREADS