• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Lance anti-doping quotes from times gone by...

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll start.

My favourite:

“If you consider my situation: a guy who comes back from arguably, you know, a death sentence, why would I then enter into a sport and dope myself up and risk my life again? That's crazy. I would never do that. No. No way.”

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok two more:

“I'm sorry for you, ... I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.”

and

“I'm thinking about it, ... I'm thinking it's the best way to **** [the French] off.”

editedbymod said:
I'll start.

My favourite:

“If you consider my situation: a guy who comes back from arguably, you know, a death sentence, why would I then enter into a sport and dope myself up and risk my life again? That's crazy. I would never do that. No. No way.”

TBH, that is the one that underpins everything else because he was floating that one back in 99 as the first "I dont dope" BS. I will admit to buying into it as well because I was still naive enough to believe nobody could be that cynical and mislead the cancer community. It took a few years but I got there and I just keep thinking back to that quote all the time.

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Last one:

“If you dominate a world sport you will always have questions and doubts. Perhaps at the end of the day we were too successful. When you win the Tour once, twice, seven times, it is just too hard to believe.”

May 23, 2010
Visit site
editedbymod said:
Last one:

“If you dominate a world sport you will always have questions and doubts. Perhaps at the end of the day we were too successful. When you win the Tour once, twice, seven times, it is just too hard to believe.”

Once left no doubt in my mind. There was always NO WAY,,not even once

May 18, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:
I'll start.

My favourite:

This was my all time favorite as well. :rolleyes:

As if there is a correlation....he still drinks alot of beer and alcohol causes health and public issues as well, so why is he so crazy to drink beer?

He drives fast cars...why would he be so crazy to drive fast and endanger himself and others? He rides down mountains at 70mph which is obviously dangerous. etc....

It's a stupid argument and I can't believe people bought into it. Why not live in a padded room and play marbles the rest of your life since you were on your deathbed, Lance? Why do you draw the line for dangerous things at doping? :rolleyes:

Or, maybe this is his admission that his doping did cause cancer, so he would be stupid to do it again. Maybe Sonnen is onto something. :D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:
For a doctor I would expect a better quote. That one will do but it is not that great. Are you a MD or just have a PHD and just playing doctor?

I would not waste time looking up quotes but the one I do remember is "what am I on" "I'm on my bike 22 hours a day" "what are you on?"
You don't think admitting that he "never had" a TUE is not a good quote when it is the cornerstone of his defence against a positive for cortisone?

Also, mine is an actual quote - while your quote, well, it isn't.

No, I am not a Doctor - and that is not my picture in my Avatar either, sorry if I have disappointed you.(Also, you will find PhD's are not "playing Doctors".)

editedbymod said:
I'll start.

My favourite:

And anybody who possibly still believes in this quote has obviously never heard of Niklas Axelsson, currently serving a life ban for a 2009 EPO positive after being diagnosed with cancer in late 2006.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:
Ok two more:

“I'm sorry for you, ... I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.”

Why didn't you do the whole frack'n thing? You missed the really egregious parts:

Finally, the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets — this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it. So Vive le Tour forever!
lance+armstrong+god.jpg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
"...I've always liked David Millar, [he] was caught with his hand in the cookie jar, is it heroic now that
he has confessed? Some would say so.."

"...Floyd does not believe that he is guilty, so to appease people like you and others, he can't confess, he doesn't feel like he's guilty, he doesn't feel like he broke the rules, you can't do that just to get people off your back..."

"...and it's not [about] admiring dopers or non-dopers, I admire these people as persons as people and
what they stand for as men..."

excerpts of Armstrong's response to Kimmage's question "What he loves about dopers" at the 09 ToC.
Great stuff.

"The riskiest thing you can do is get greedy" :D

"As far as the negative stuff goes, all I can say is thank God we're tested. When baseball players were charged with using steroids, what was their defense? Nothing."
(What he really means is "Thank God we're tested with tests that only catch 1% of what is being done so I can continue to use the "never tested positive" defense for the rest of my life)

"What he did in 1989 and 1990 was phenomenal. But Greg's not even worth talking about today. And I don't need to hear from him - he'd only shove his foot farther down his mouth." (LA is such a jacka$s)

I wish I could find some of the things he said during those Tour press conferences during the 2005 season. I remember one where he started off by saying "Listen. I am only going to say this one time..." and then proceeded to say he has never tested positive and never taken peds.

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
"This is my body, and I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it; Study it; Tweak it; Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I am on my bike busting my *** six hours a day; What are YOU on?"

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This one is gold. Read it in full. Brilliant.

"I asked myself what I believed. I had never prayed a lot. I hoped hard, wished hard, but I didn't pray. I had developed a certain distrust of organised religion growing up, but I felt I had the capacity to be a spiritual person, and to hold some fervent beliefs. Quite simply, I believed I had a responsibility to be a good person, and that meant fair, honest, hardworking and honorable. If I did that, if I was good to my family, true to my friends, if I gave back to my community or to some cause, if I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough. At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whether I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptised."
— Lance Armstrong (It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life)

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:
For a doctor I would expect a better quote. That one will do but it is not that great. Are you a MD or just have a PHD and just playing doctor?

I would not waste time looking up quotes but the one I do remember is "what am I on" "I'm on my bike 22 hours a day" "what are you on?"

Muppet, do you not get the joke?

Dr. Ferrari --> Dr. Maserati

(That is the point right? :rolleyes: )

TRENDING THREADS