• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Non-Cycling Sport

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
To move sports discussions away from the Pepsi and Coke thread, what sports other than cycling do you enjoy playing and watching?

Now that I live in Canada, I really miss cricket, Australian Rules Football (AFL) and international Rugby Union (TriNations and Bledisloe Cup). I loved watching my AFL team (Hawthorn) at the MCG when I returned to Australia for a few weeks earlier in the year. I do enjoy the speed (and fights) in hockey.

I used to play representative rugby union (state, not national), but a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle, dislocated shoulder, concussion and many hamstrings put an end to playing rugby in my late 20s. Other than that, I occasionally swim and run. I did a lot more running when I lived in Colorado because the trails were much more fun than the roads, but there are not many trails nearby now. I skate and cross-country ski in winter (and downhill ski when we can be bothered driving and battling the crowds).

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
MMA. Taekwondo since 95, Boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since 99. During the long Minnesota winters I XC ski, and run a bit.

Favorite to watch or spectate would be anything motorsports, namely Moto GP and F1. I take in a lot of motocross too, since I live near the Spring Creek track in Millville.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
To watch: hockey.

When I was 19, I had a trial with a professional football/soccer club in England. I stopped playing after my children were born, and I don't really miss it. I guess I got to a level where it became more like work than a game and I wasn't enjoying it as much. I'll still tune in for the World Cup and the European Championships, but I've more or less stopped following...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I used to snowboard in the winter - but I F$%#'d up my back a few years ago so I haven't done it since.

To watch - Soccer (European), College Football. Really miss cricket and Aussie Rules Football.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
When I was younger I was into rock climbing and backpacking, however I would like to get back into rock climbing someday. There is a bunch of trad climbs I would love to do like Astroman in Yosemite and a bunch in Zion NP. But now all I participate in is cycling.

As far as watching sports cycling and the Olympics are about it now. I used to be a big fan of hockey and baseball, but I haven't followed them for several years. Plus I never got what makes American football so popular here in the states it's like watching paint dry to me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
In winter it's hockey and XC skiing, I am new at the latter but love it for the exercise and the ability to do it with the wife and kids. There are other activities like weight training, yoga, et al but those aren't really sports. Hockey is the top, it's the one I watch as well as play. Would LOVE to have lived near a speedskating track at some point in my life... will still take it up if ever I do.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
favorite sport

More fun than cycling-good downhill skiing. Seattle is 45mins to 1 hr from day and night skiing. The daytime runs have 1,400' of vertical steep terrain, 900' at night with steep and crusiers. Lots of gate skiing training there. Another area has 2,600' and sits right next to Mt. Rainier, a 14,000' plus volcano and overlooking 3 mountain ranges. Weather can be sunny to extremely stormybut is a beautiful place.
Surfers will tell you the waves are as good as anywhere on the Pac Coast (if you like a dry suit and the exhileration of looking like a seal in the middle of Killer Whale feeding zones)
The Sonics left town so no NBA. NFL Football is a blast in person when the home team is credible. Major college football stadium 15 minutes from my door and more entertaining.
Lots of music here, too.
Please don't move here.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Football. World Championships next year, really looking forward to that.
Since I have NASN and ESPN I've also gotten into baseball.

If I'm bored I'll watch any sport.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
MMA. Taekwondo since 95, Boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since 99. During the long Minnesota winters I XC ski, and run a bit.

Favorite to watch or spectate would be anything motorsports, namely Moto GP and F1.
I take in a lot of motocross too, since I live near the Spring Creek track in Millville.

I'm definitely envious of that! Not so much now that I don't ride anymore, but still envious :D

ak-zaaf said:
Football. World Championships next year, really looking forward to that.
Since I have NASN and ESPN I've also gotten into baseball.

If I'm bored I'll watch any sport.

Also envious that you get ESPN! I get day-old NASN, so it's tough to hold out on the Redsox scores and wait and see if the game is shown.

As far as watching sports here, I'm glad I enjoy football, and we get the Premier League games live and for no real good reason I've supported Chelsea for 10+ years now...so I'm enjoying this season so far :D I also support Vålerenga, one of the Norwegian Premier League teams (tippeligaen).

As far as sports I still do other than cycling, it'd be XC skiing (50KM+ groomed trails literally right outside my front door so I had to take it up!) and slalom skiing (when I can get to the mtn).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
As far as watching sports here, I'm glad I enjoy football, and we get the Premier League games live and for no real good reason I've supported Chelsea for 10+ years now...

:)

I love the premier league but I don't have a real favorite, I lean a bit towards Liverpool. And I like Chelsea for the fact that Abramovich did exactly what I would do if I had that kind of money.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Was going to get up early to watch Inter Milan v Barcelona in the Champions League (starts at 4.45am for me), but I guess I have to go cycling at the same time.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Since I moved to the US, I started watching NFL and NHL. What I have noticed is that the Redskins are rather sucky, so I don't know if I will actually be able to pledge my allegiance to that team... The Caps however I like! :D

Then, obviously, I follow football/soccer, mainly the dutch, english and spanish leagues if possible, and in any case the ECs and WCs. Next South Africa!

In the winter, I somehow always tuned in to Eurosport to watch biathlons (cross country skiing and shooting).

I mostly ride my bike, due to a nasty knee injury. I did play football/soccer, I run/ran and I know how to snowboard (a bit :D. When I was really young, I even played tennis and handball, which no one in the States has ever heard of it seems....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy trail running and backpacking, Great sports, both. For viewing, I watch American football on the tube, but don't care enough go out to any games.

Mar 31, 2009
www.barbrides.com
Rock climbing used to be my life then I got sucked into racing bicycles. This past year I was able to get outside and climb a few times. My latest trip is chronicled here
http://barbarahowe.com/blog/
Now that cross season has started climbing will have to go on hold until January. If I had a TV I'd watch gymnastics (a sport that took up twelve years of my life) and hockey. If US TV had cyclocross coverage I'd watch it, but for now I settle for watching 'cross on YouTube.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Running and racewalking are actually my main sports, I started cycling regularly only in 2006. I like playing golf as well.

I've been a cycling fan since the 1980's and it still is IMO the most enjoyable sport to watch. Aside from that, track & field (good coverage, not the crap we get in the U.S.) and golf are the other sports I like to watch.

TRENDING THREADS