• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FCR-553 Bottom bracket click/tick

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi my bike is only 3 months old the bottom bracket has started ticking/clicking on heavy down strokes. I wasn't sure if it was the bottom bracket or the head set, I've stripped the head set and re greased which has stopped some of the clicking when out of the saddle but the standard click on the down strokes is still there, I've checked peddles and crank arms all seem to be tight, there is no play in the bottom bracket and no click when peddling with light load.

Is there any adjustment on the BB as they're sealed bearings ? or somewhere else where the click could be coming from ?

Any suggestions please as its driving me mad. Bike is a sectuer elite 2010

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
nuggs1 said:
Hi my bike is only 3 months old the bottom bracket has started ticking/clicking on heavy down strokes. I wasn't sure if it was the bottom bracket or the head set, I've stripped the head set and re greased which has stopped some of the clicking when out of the saddle but the standard click on the down strokes is still there, I've checked peddles and crank arms all seem to be tight, there is no play in the bottom bracket and no click when peddling with light load.

Is there any adjustment on the BB as they're sealed bearings ? or somewhere else where the click could be coming from ?

Any suggestions please as its driving me mad. Bike is a sectuer elite 2010

A suggestions - have you made sure the rear quick release is tight? I've had clicks and creaks that seemed to come from the BB, but were due to the QR. Secondly I have a Secteur, but stripped all of the original gear off it and rebuilt it, it's been fine no clicks. However a club-mate has a Secteur in original spec and has a click, so maybe it's a design issue!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
A suggestion - have you made sure the rear quick release is tight?

2nd this, had a Cervelo S2 with a similar click, stripped the BB several times, still there, was sure it was the BB. Replaced the rear Quick Release with a Dura Ace and click vanished. Some QR are not up to it no matter how tight they appear.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Usualy something loose skewers are often the culprit.

You may have a dry bearing is the bike under warranty take it back to the bike shop ! anoying!

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Dundee said:
2nd this, had a Cervelo S2 with a similar click, stripped the BB several times, still there, was sure it was the BB. Replaced the rear Quick Release with a Dura Ace and click vanished. Some QR are not up to it no matter how tight they appear.

Agree that checking the QR may be the cheapest and quickest way to solve the problem.

If tightening the QR doesn't fix it, check your chainring bolts.

Still clicking? Check your cleats and pedal body for wear, worn cleats (Look Keo) were the cause of frustrating clicking issues for me.

Still clicking? Are the BB cups properly seated in the frame, and is the left crank arm properly pre-loaded and tightened on the BB spindle? I had issues with a driveside Ultegra BB cup coming loose that caused a click.

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the QR, removed and cleaned it and put back on as tight as I can. Pedals and cleats are new, I checked them and cannot see any issues.

I think its off to the bike shop for them to check the BB cups etc. I cannot find any looseness or play in it, but I cannot find the source of the noise.

Thanks for all your help.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
dsut4392 said:
Agree that checking the QR may be the cheapest and quickest way to solve the problem.

If tightening the QR doesn't fix it, check your chainring bolts.

Still clicking? Check your cleats and pedal body for wear, worn cleats (Look Keo) were the cause of frustrating clicking issues for me.

Still clicking? Are the BB cups properly seated in the frame, and is the left crank arm properly pre-loaded and tightened on the BB spindle? I had issues with a driveside Ultegra BB cup coming loose that caused a click.

Totally agree re the chainring bolts, it's easy to have four fully tightened, and a fifth slightly loose. It might be worth checking whether all threads that should be lubed are. One example being the pedals where they screw into the cranks, some manufacturers state that these should be lubed.

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
One thing I forgot to check was the chain ring bolts, will do that later, pedals are two months old and came fully greased up on the threads, I can still see some of the grease looking at the inside of the crank arm.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
nuggs1 said:
One thing I forgot to check was the chain ring bolts, will do that later, pedals are two months old and came fully greased up on the threads, I can still see some of the grease looking at the inside of the crank arm.

Another thing to check is the stem faceplate bolts. If these aren't tight enough it can cause a creak or click when pulling on the bars, which usually is the case when pedalling hard.