• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ferarri: Armstrong Could've Reached The Same Level W/O Doping

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Test is unbeatable in my book. Particularly given its ease of use.

I would not say "unbeatable" but certainly it a very, very useful PED and in more ways than one, especially for a Grand Tour contender.

In fact, I got into a rather heated argument with Landis' tool, Arnie Baker, over this. :D

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Studies I've read (abstract at any rate) indicates 3-4 hours was not enough. They ended up doing 14 hours / day or so. Not sure if that is even doable in a tour, so much phaffing around with transfers, etc.

I don't think I saw any studies where they did 14 hrs/day for 2-3 weeks to boost Hgb then followed with 3-4hrs / day maintenance though, that'd be interesting.

Did you see that study where altitude training (LHTL) was found to increase testosterone production? I went looking after reading Aldo Sassi apparently saying that was one effect of altitude training to a journalist who was discussing Sky's altitude training camps (the same guy who said they don't care about Hgb increases).

Seemed really strange. Noone else mentions it - not even our resident PhD, Sky-loving residents.

It felt more likely to me that riders were using it to help with recovery when training at altitude and the researchers were just recording test levels, and not looking or able to differentiate exo from endo-genous.

The whole issue with altitude training is that it is almost a "Black Art" to determine the right level, then there are also sleep issues, particularly in a tent.

I did not see the study on altitude increasing T, but since in males T modulates RBC, it does make sense...

I think some are on to intermittent hyperoxia -- both the training effect and the paradoxical increase in RBC....

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Turner29 said:
I did not see the study on altitude increasing T, but since in males T modulates RBC, it does make sense...

T modulates RBC? Where does EPO fit into the T mods RBC equation? I'm not following that at all.

I've read increasing T increases RBC, are you saying decreasing T leads to decreased RBC?

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
T modulates RBC? Where does EPO fit into the T mods RBC equation? I'm not following that at all.

I've read increasing T increases RBC, are you saying decreasing T leads to decreased RBC?

Yup. T is sometimes prescribed to elderly males with very low hematocrit.

And I see where you are going, the implication that increasing RBC via EPO has a negative affect on T levels...

TRENDING THREADS