• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
jmdirt said:
His boss said that he can't be a big rider in an international sport if he doesn't speak English!
He probably meant "endorsements"...

Cav is getting old, so is Greipel, le beau Marcel has a few years left but other than that, Gaviria has a huge upside, he's set to dominate sprints for the years to come. His only possible rival, IMO, could be Demare.
Demare? :surprised: :surprised:
Good joke :D gaviria is 22 years old and has already 4 gt wins meanwhile demare has.... zero... but gaviria was the reason why demare won milan san remo

portugal11 said:
Tonton said:
jmdirt said:
His boss said that he can't be a big rider in an international sport if he doesn't speak English!

Cav is getting old, so is Greipel, le beau Marcel has a few years left but other than that, Gaviria has a huge upside, he's set to dominate sprints for the years to come. His only possible rival, IMO, could be Demare.
Good joke :D gaviria is 22 years old and has already 4 gt wins meanwhile demare has.... zero... but gaviria was the reason why demare won milan san remo
Demare is what? 25? Still plenty of time. At least he shows potential. He's now beating Kristoff and the likes pretty much all the time. He finally has a train. MSR? We can re-do the race as many times as we want, but Demare won it, coming from way out, the crash got him off line, he won. That's racing. Fondriest won a WRRC in a weirder fashion, who are we to question it? Really...it's racing.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:
jmdirt said:

Demare is what? 25? Still plenty of time. At least he shows potential. He's now beating Kristoff and the likes pretty much all the time. He finally has a train. MSR? We can re-do the race as many times as we want, but Demare won it, coming from way out, the crash got him off line, he won. That's racing. Fondriest won a WRRC in a weirder fashion, who are we to question it? Really...it's racing.
Kristoff is nowhere near his 2015 shape

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:
jmdirt said:

Demare rival to Gaviria? :lol: :surprised: Gavira will beat him anytime even after party night day before.Demare for Gaviria is a joke and not competition.You french boys don't have competion for Gaviria these days.

portugal11 said:
Tonton said:
jmdirt said:

This. Démare?? I can think of several sprinters more likely to rival Gav in the future.

Re:

Jspear said:
Gav will still be lighting it up in the sprint stages. Kittel will be a huge rival for a couple more years.

Funny thing is, will they really ever be rivals? Gav is set to stay at QS and Kittel also said he would like to stay. Gaviria has said multiple times that he dreams of winning Roubaix. If he really becomes a classics rider, their schedule won't interfere very often. Look at Boonen, who was a more than capable sprinter in his early days but rather quickly changed his focus to winning classics only. He was never really interested in the Tour in his later years. If it is the same with Gaviria, Kittel and the Colombian could actually stay teammates for a while. Cause the only 2 races Kittel really cares about are the Tour and the Kittelprijs in April.

Akuryo said:
Jspear said:
Gav will still be lighting it up in the sprint stages. Kittel will be a huge rival for a couple more years.

Funny thing is, will they really ever be rivals? Gav is set to stay at QS and Kittel also said he would like to stay. Gaviria has said multiple times that he dreams of winning Roubaix. If he really becomes a classics rider, their schedule won't interfere very often. Look at Boonen, who was a more than capable sprinter in his early days but rather quickly changed his focus to winning classics only. He was never really interested in the Tour in his later years. If it is the same with Gaviria, Kittel and the Colombian could actually stay teammates for a while. Cause the only 2 races Kittel really cares about are the Tour and the Kittelprijs in April.

Yeah time will tell. Gav just seems so fast right now that at some point him and Kittel are going to butt heads. But it's true....Gva is still developing. We shall see what he becomes.

So, just to try to prompt some race-day banter: Cav was out and is now even more out. Greipel is either having a bit of an off year or is sadly fading slightly, though he has a real chance tomorrow. Demare has the speed, but after impressing at MSR last year, all of the sudden can't get up over a hill with half of Savoie prodding him up*. Ewan's progressing nicely but still looks as though he's barely been through 22 springs. Dege and Kristoff are more classics riders than GT sprinters nowadays, having one one GT stage between since 2014.

Does Quickstep have the world's two best sprinters right now? As in, if you could draft a sprinter right now for the Vuelta, you'd take them both off the board first, right?

*I kid. He fought valiantly to make the time cut and I have no evidence he was pushed.

Re:

carton said:
So, just to try to prompt some race-day banter: Cav was out and is now even more out. Greipel is either having a bit of an off year or is sadly fading slightly, though he has a real chance tomorrow. Demare has the speed, but after impressing at MSR last year, all of the sudden can't get up over a hill with half of Savoie prodding him up*. Ewan's progressing nicely but still looks as though he's barely been through 22 springs. Dege and Kristoff are more classics riders than GT sprinters nowadays, having one one GT stage between since 2014.

Does Quickstep have the world's two best sprinters right now? As in, if you could draft a sprinter right now for the Vuelta, you'd take them both off the board first, right?
Funny to read the previous posts :p ...

Kittel is the best sprinter in the world right now, and he has been for several years...I'd like to see ten Gaviria vs. Demare and see who is #2, who is #3. I think that jaylew and portugal11 will now agree :p . it's close.

Greipel has lost something...Ewan is definitely a threat and up[coming. Cav is done but still fast and fearless. After them, there's a gap...

My $0.02 and rubbing it in on my two friends ;) .

*I kid. He fought valiantly to make the time cut and I have no evidence he was pushed.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Re:

carton said:

Did you watch stage three of this years tour?

The_Beach said:
The one where he was sixth on a 1.6km at 5.8% slope? Yes. It was impressive. It makes it even more puzzling that he couldn't get over the same (proper) hills that Kittel managed to crest.

But I would definitely put Demare in the fight. He's definitely won bigger things than Gaviria so far. I was just rapping on Nono because the jokes wrote themselves. But he didn't clear up doubts about his top-level consistency, particularly his GT consistency, yesterday.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

carton said:
The_Beach said:
The one where he was sixth on a 1.6km at 5.8% slope? Yes. It was impressive. It makes it even more puzzling that he couldn't get over the same (proper) hills that Kittel managed to crest.

But I would definitely put Demare in the fight. I was just rapping on Nono because the jokes wrote themselves. But he didn't clear up doubts about his top-level consistency, particularly his GT consistency, yesterday.
He has been sick for the last couple of days, hence the bad climbing performances.

I've said it since the start of 2017 that I thought Quick Step had the worlds 2 best sprinters on their squad. Both have dominated their respective GC, being at least one class above everyone else. Waiting for a confirmation of that in the fall by Gaviria.

"While training in Colombia for a high-speed sprint, just as he was preparing to launch his powerful acceleration, Fernando's left foot unclipped and the pedal hit his calf muscle, an incident resulting in a hematoma which required surgery, that the 22-year-old underwent on Wednesday afternoon, in Medellin.

Fernando Gaviria, who took four stages and the coveted maglia ciclamino at the 100th edition of the Giro d'Italia, in May, will now have to rest for a few days, before returning to training and then traveling back to Europe in a couple of weeks. The Colombian's new racing schedule for the last part of the season will be decided and communicated in the upcoming weeks."

- The full statement of QST.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Looks like he'll make his comeback next week in Plouay.
He is announced to ride Omloop Mandel-Leie-Schelde too, the day before Plouay. This is a 1.1 race close to the headquarters of QuickStep. I don't know if this info is correct, because the combination with Plouay seems rather hard (especially the transfer from Belgium to Plouay).

TRENDING THREADS