• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2014

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Just around the corner now. I'm looking forward to the competition like any football animal would, but with no personal expectations. In 2010 we all thought that Holland might have a small chance. This time, I doubt that Holland will get out of the group. USA will also not survive the group stage.

I would love to see Messi excel (at last) and take it for Argentina, but I'm not convinced. Brazil will be a threat at home, of course, but they haven't convinced either. Spain can't be discounted, and Germany could surprise. In short, I have no idea who will win, but I'll enjoy watching. :p

Group A

Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

Group B

Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

Group C

Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan

Group D

Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Group E

Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras

Group F

Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Group G

Germany, Portugal, Ghana, United States

Group H

Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
My picks:

1 BRA
2 ARG
3 ESP
4 POR

No way corrupt FIFA would allow BRA not to be reaching the final at least. Too much money at stake for those basterds. BRA could field 11 players right off the Copacobana and still reach the final...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope too for Messi to stand out and for Argentina to win it. Sabella has got the best out of Messi a lot more than any other previous Argentina manager before him. I have big doubts about the goalkeeper and the back four. I've never rated Romero too highly from his AZ days and he hasn't played too much this season for Monaco as he's behind Subasic in the pecking order. Zabaleta is excellent but I don't see much top quality in the rest. Garay is OK but still not a stand out central defender like they had in the old days with Ayala, Samuel and Heinze. Rojo isn't anything special at left back.

I'm not so sure either about Brazil. Oscar has had a poor 2nd half to the season at Chelsea and Paulinho hasn't pulled up any trees at Spurs. How David Luiz is at centre back is beyond me? Fred at centre forward isn't good enough at the top level. Not getting Costa to declare could come back to haunt them.

I think Germany will do it. They have bags of options in midfield and although they don't have much outside of Klose up front, they could also use Muller as a false No.9 to overcome it. Mertesacker who has been excellent for Arsenal this season will marshal the defence with Lahm. This squad has a good depth of tournament experience and this could be their time to deliver.

Dark horses to do well could be Chile if they get out of the group. I was very impressed when they beat England at Wembley last year.

Galic Ho said:
Yes they will. In the final. 3-1 Italy win.
98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

EDIT: As much as I'd love it, no. Brazil wins. easy.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Germany, Spain or Brazil for me. Belgium might make a decent run to the semi's or something.

Australia will have overachieved if we score a goal or hold on for a scoreless draw.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am a huge fan of Brasil from my childhood years.Their 2002 victory was my first real moment of happiness came from following sport. (currently Fuente De and wimbledon 2008):)

On the other I dont know why so many people believe they will win.
I see at least 3 teams which are better imo(Spain,Germany,Italia) and at least 4 teams which have equal chances (France,Argentina,Nederlands and Uruguay)

Dark horses are Belgium and Colombia.
Huge favourite for me is Spain,on the other that Barca tactique is starting to fade a lot.

ILovecycling said:
I am a huge fan of Brasil from my childhood years.Their 2002 victory was my first real moment of happiness came from following sport. (currently Fuente De and wimbledon 2008):)

Only reason is the weather/climate, but that could be a huge factor.

ILovecycling said:

I see at least 3 teams which are better imo(Spain,Germany,Italia) and at least 4 teams which have equal chances (France,Argentina,Nederlands and Uruguay)

Dark horses are Belgium and Colombia.
Huge favourite for me is Spain,on the other that Barca tactique is starting to fade a lot.

Does Portugal even appear on the mapa mundi edition in your country? :p They have better chances than France (lol), Argentina, Nederlands and Uruguay.

And with all due respect to Italy and Italianos, but rating them so high is hilarious in my opinion. Their team is nothing special (as well as their football, honestely) and the only way they'd win is by buying it. But they do not have the money for that, do they? :p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
kingjr said:
Only reason is the weather/climate, but that could be a huge factor.
I dont think it will be as big factor as home factro,cause more than half of their squad is from european teams. (they play theere for a while except of Neymar jr)
Eshnar said:
Home factor. I highly doubt Brazil won't win, with the current political situation it might be a disaster. It already was in 1950.
Maybe Im sandbagging but I think it will be a disaster.What did they do in last two mundiales?Almost nothing.Only thing what can save them is great defence,healing all injuries and Neymar in 2013 form:)
BigMac said:
Does Portugal even appear on the mapa mundi edition in your country? :p They have better chances than France (lol), Argentina, Nederlands and Uruguay.

And with all due respect to Italy and Italianos, but rating them so high is hilarious in my opinion. Their team is nothing special (as well as their football, honestely) and the only way they'd win is by buying it. But they do not have the money for that, do they? :p

Yes they appear:D,but not in my top 8 list.
Italians are just italians,they almost always deliver when there is 'no chance'.And there is still Silvio:p:-D

Oh but I think that Italy has a great chance of reaching the semi-finals. They have good players and a good coach. Look at what they've done at Euro 2012.

Moreover, Pirlo is italian. One of the best players ever.

But I honestly hope Portugal can reach quarter-finals. It would be great!

By the way, huge regret that Ibrahimovic will not go to Brazil!! Such a superb player...

I don't think Brazil's chances are bad, but this might just be one of the worst squads they had in the last 30-40 years.
They have, expect for Thiago Silva, no absolute Top class player in their respective departments. Neymar of course is very famous, and a world star player in this regard. But he's not yet one of the very best attacking players in the world. Plus they have a good average of class players in midfield, but no absolute stand out guy.

The last two times they won it, they used to have players like Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, and Rai. Only to name the great ones starting with the letter R.

Now Brazil plays with Fred as Centre Forward, who's good. But that's it. And just imagine he's not fit to play and Jo takes his place... of course Jo is a pretty decent player. But on international top level? No way in hell.

Also: Brazil has never won a World Cup in Brazil. ;)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
How the 1978 World Cup was fixed

http://www.spiegel.de/einestages/wm...isterschaft-1978-in-argentinien-a-970928.html

And some guys here truly believe the Final this year will be played without Brazil? :rolleyes:

Well Fifa already did some things against Brazil when they made Group A (the group Brazil as the hosts autmoatically gets) one of the tropical weather groups (though Brazil are spared the first game being too bad as they are opening the competition in Sao Paolo)

Still, they have to play their 2nd game in Fortaleza in the middle of the day a stones throw from the equator 30 + degrees and unspeakable humidity.

Its litteraly going to be twice as hot as the highest temperature some teams are going to experience all tournament. It also forced Brazil to undergo absurd transfers that will do them no good whatseoever (3000km from game 1 to game 2 -5days later. Then 2000 from game 2 to 3)

The teams Brazil can play in the knockout stages are all going to have had a comparitive cakewalk geography wise staying the whole opening stage in the cool autumn like south.

If I was rigging it for Brazil, having them play the 3 first games in the South (perfectly justafiable by having the hosts simply visit the 3 most important cities - rio, Sao, Brasilia) would the first and easiest thing to do.

Of course its possible that there will be some refereeing decisions go in Brazils favour - but given how everyone suspects hostal bias in the first place, it can't be too obvious which makes it very difficult to implement.

But besides that I can't see how FIFA would rig it for Brazil. Any other option is way too complicated and requires so many people in the know leakage of the conspiracy would be inevitable and not worth it.

The only thing maybe would be to enforce stricter PED rules on all other teams like the UCI did, but then why tire Brazil out in the first place by giving them that schedule.

I don't see the will being there in fifa to conduct any kind of conspiracy in favour of 1 team.

Brazil facing a shock knockout in the last 16 or quarters would probably be more profitable for them even, then a routine hostfavourite ultimately truimphs tournament like the 2011 Rugby World cup.

TRENDING THREADS