FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sciocco said:
Out of curiosity, are you OK with the current state of diving in association football as is found in international tournaments and the elite european leagues?
No, I hate diving. I'm very much in favour of handing out suspensions to divers (having to sit out a game would be much better than having to pay a fine IMO).
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No it´s not at all. Besides if guys like 1-0/0-0 games... that lays in the eye of the beholder (it´s nothing for me in the long run, but could/have lived with it for four weeks something). But if games on the biggest stage (I wonder how much BS goes on in lower leagues) are regulary decided by refs, than something is really wrong. I doesn´t matter if refs are doing it intentionally, are just overwhelmed, or the rules are impossible to apply with consistency... it´s not a game to decide who is the best, no it comes down to pure luck (and/or outside influence). That has got nothing to do with sports competition...
I don't see the problem with low scoring games, really. A game doesn't need goals to be great. And no, games are not "regularly" decided by refs. Should refereeing be improved and aided by technology? Sure, but I don't see how that's relevant to that article, which simply pushed for "more officers".
Merckx index said:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think it's hypocritical if FIFA wants to make soccer a worldwide sport, participated in and watched by countries all over the world, but dismisses any input from certain major parts of that world. Your post sounds to me like, come into my yard and play with me, and bring all your friends, and sometimes we will all go into your yard and play there, but you can’t change the rules, they have to stay exactly the way they always have, even if you and your friends have different experiences that may affect how you see the game.

I don’t like all Olympic sports, or the way certain Olympic sports I do like are played, but I recognize it’s a worldwide institution, and people in different countries have a right to have their views considered.

Soccer is no longer just a European sport, or Euro and South American. If you want the North American audience, you have to expect North American influence. That doesn't mean Americans get to redesign the game entirely to their liking. It just means that if a large enough portion of the paying audience wants changes, they have a right to push for them. Europeans, who have vastly influenced American culture by immigrating here, ought to be the first to appreciate this.
What you don't seem to realize is that it's basically the US vs the rest of the frickin' world in this regard, so it's more like, come over so you can play D&D with my gaming group which has been playing for 30 years, and your first reaction is that using dice is silly and should be stopped.

Regardless, I'm not dismissing American input per se. I said I agree about the use of technology, broadly speaking, and while I don't see much of a problem with the timekeeping system, I don't think switching to a model of real time would necessarily be bad (it would put an end to a lot of time wasting and injury faking).

Jan 11, 2010
hrotha said:
No, I hate diving. I'm very much in favour of handing out suspensions to divers (having to sit out a game would be much better than having to pay a fine IMO).
First things first: if you don't get suspended for causing a double leg fracture, a suspension for diving is way lower on the list. Too much fuss is made about diving, and too little about serious fouls.

theyoungest said:
First things first: if you don't get suspended for causing a double leg fracture, a suspension for diving is way lower on the list. Too much fuss is made about diving, and too little about serious fouls.
Well it's not one or the other, and there's already plenty of precedent of committees suspending players for criminal tackles and the like.

ASK THE COMMUNITY