FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Messi did kind of have to walk up the steps, back down the other side, then take his colleagues back up them again when it looked like all he wanted to do was be alone.

But giving him player of the tournament is a travesty.

At least we didn't get a travesty in the result. Weirdly Argentina had the better chances, but the best team of the tournament won the Cup. So we couldn't have had a travesty of a result either way, I guess. It's not like if Brazil had won it.

We're now 28 years removed from the last time both teams scored in a World Cup final. We've had 1-0 (penalty), 0-0 (won on PKs), 3-0, 2-0, 0-0 (won on PKs), 1-0 (aet) and 1-0 (aet)...
 
Oops, mis-remembering that. Might be confusing it with the semi-final Italy won, which was 0-0 after 90 then they won in extra time, and creating one game of 0-0 then penalties in my head?

Or maybe it's that since the Zidane thing was kind of the most memorable thing about that match I forgot the goals in the actual game, neither of which I have any recollection of...
 
Dazed and Confused said:
Robben is a diver. And Blatter is a fan of Messi.

Not too difficult to understand is it?
weeee only thing some countries/people seem to remember are his so-called 'dives' which were not even pure dives to begin with. he has been incredible this tournament, long time ago i saw a performance like this in a tournament from one player.
 
l.Harm said:
weeee only thing some countries/people seem to remember are his so-called 'dives' which were not even pure dives to begin with. he has been incredible this tournament, long time ago i saw a performance like this in a tournament from one player.
Again nobody cares about Robben. This stuff is all business and network.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Oops, mis-remembering that. Might be confusing it with the semi-final Italy won, which was 0-0 after 90 then they won in extra time, and creating one game of 0-0 then penalties in my head?

Or maybe it's that since the Zidane thing was kind of the most memorable thing about that match I forgot the goals in the actual game, neither of which I have any recollection of...
I remember them cos it was the 2 protagonists. Materrazi conceded the penalty which Zidane scored. Materrazi scored the equalizer. Materrazi got Zidane sent off. Materazzi scored the penalty after Trezeguet missed.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
After everybody settled down in Germany (inclusive me :D), here is my serious pick:
I don´t know who wins. Normally it´s "defensive wins championships" (ok, in Football offensive teams still have a slight upper hand; it´s circa 52/48 there). But especially in soccer and hockey it is true. And a whole lot depends on pure chance. A wrong bounce here or there, a (it mustn´t even be intentionally) big mistake by the refs, a red card... whatever it will be.
So given the successful defensive scheme of ARG, just a single magic moment of Messi could be enough. Add in the praise Neuer gets for his kamikaze style of goal keeping... I see some dark clouds looming. One day it will go wrong, just hope it won´t be tomorrow.
Still adding everything together:
1.) Risky GK play by GER
2.) Regression to the mean has to set in (hopefully not tomorrow) one day. GER scores more goals than to expect from a statistical standpoint. I know most chances came inside the 16m. Still, GER got all the right bounces in the BRA & POR games (and a moral down opponent after 25 mins)
3.) A lot will depend on the refs
4.) GER plays riskier overall. Speak with higher variance. Thus advantage ARG.
5.) GER has the overall better players, but not by too much...

So... 52 % chance ARG, 48 % GER. I´ll have my beers either way. :)
Completely agree with everybody. Inlcluding myself. Totally kaputt I am. Could have gonr either way. Cheers to ya all. :) Happy OFC. :)

Edit: Will talk in circa 2 days. Not able now,,,,...
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
The Hitch said:
I agree that Robben is player of the tournament.

But really who cares. Does anyone even remember who was player of the tournament last time?

Just looked it up and it was Forlan. My guesses were Iniesta Hernandez or Sneijder:eek:
Its not that nobody rememebers (imo few football fans do) but its such a disgrace to other players.
I can easily say at least 5 (maybe even 10:eek:) names which were better this Cup.


ps: wow,that goal from Gotze,really nice!:eek:
 
If Argentina had won, ppl would have been talking about the great Messi though, because he had a good game yesterday.

But best player of the tournament? Lol. Imo he was overall better in 2010, where he played more in midfield, although everyone expected him to pick up the ball from the defense, dribble everyone and score. Now he played higher, scored more as a result, but he wasn't as good. Ridiculous prize. Someone like Lahm deserved it for me.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Flamin said:
If Argentina had won, ppl would have been talking about the great Messi though, because he had a good game yesterday.

But best player of the tournament? Lol. Imo he was overall better in 2010, where he played more in midfield, although everyone expected him to pick up the ball from the defense, dribble everyone and score. Now he played higher, scored more as a result, but he wasn't as good. Ridiculous prize. Someone like Lahm deserved it for me.
maybe idiots,but not people who at least a bit understand football I think;)
 
Jun 18, 2014
9
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Allow me to speak for 98% of all Americans when I say, "See you all again in four years!"

You may now continue on discussing your beautiful sport.

:)
Hell yeah - the US played some very entertaining football. Their game against Belgium were probably the best of the tournament. Not often you can say of a 0-0 game :)
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
But it won't make soccer pass up other sports here. We have just as many foreigners who "convert" to NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc. as those who remain loyal to soccer. Something I am sure you understand why.
No doubt about that. :D

Almost got your wish ;) A 0-0 final with PKs.... Good that Götze saved Germany.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Allow me to speak for 98% of all Americans when I say, "See you all again in four years!"

You may now continue on discussing your beautiful sport.

:)
Not showing up for the Copa América next year? I see no USA this time around. A shame, I think they could have been competitive. Ditto Costa Rica, who could have been an interesting wildcard. No disrespect to the Jamaicans, but I think this World Cup has shown both USA and Costa Rica could have been serious threats in the Copa; we know Mexico are always worth their invite. Chile with home support and this Colombian squad a year on could be real threats, while a Brazil in rebuilding will be interesting to see.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Not showing up for the Copa América next year? I see no USA this time around. A shame, I think they could have been competitive. Ditto Costa Rica, who could have been an interesting wildcard. No disrespect to the Jamaicans, but I think this World Cup has shown both USA and Costa Rica could have been serious threats in the Copa; we know Mexico are always worth their invite. Chile with home support and this Colombian squad a year on could be real threats, while a Brazil in rebuilding will be interesting to see.
Do Brazil care about the Copa America? Looking at trophy history they seem to have always underperformed compared to what they show the rest of the time and to what their players should be capable of.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,222
1
0
I think Brazil will care a lot about the Copa after the way they got demolished by Germany and Holland. Untill they've won another title they'll only be the team that lost 1-7.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY