• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fignon quote

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fignon-struggling-on

Fignon also discussed assertions that his cancer may be linked to the doping practices he admitted in his autobiographic book "Nous étions jeunes et insouciants" (We were young and carefree) published before he was diagnosed with the illness. "Nobody has an answer to that," he said. "There is nothing that proves that it is linked, but you cannot exclude it, either. In principle, it's not, because then all cyclists would have cancer!

If doping caused cancer, then ALL cyclists would have cancer, right? It's said so matter of factly. :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
DonTickles said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fignon-struggling-on

Fignon also discussed assertions that his cancer may be linked to the doping practices he admitted in his autobiographic book "Nous étions jeunes et insouciants" (We were young and carefree) published before he was diagnosed with the illness. "Nobody has an answer to that," he said. "There is nothing that proves that it is linked, but you cannot exclude it, either. In principle, it's not, because then all cyclists would have cancer!

If doping caused cancer, then ALL cyclists would have cancer, right? It's said so matter of factly. :)

He and Lemond were roomies at Renault. Fignon says he used to chase skirts and do blow all night. Greg was back in the hotel making sure nobody stole their wool jerseys and sweet Gitanes

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cocaine has residual chemicals left over from the processing. It also has chemical cuts and additives. Those might cause cancer.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Fignon is dying - there is no treatment option - and he's facing it with immense bravery and grace. Still, I suppose it's all his own fault for not fighting hard enough like Lance :rolleyes:

I don't think Fignon, or anyone else, is implying that any PED use causes cancer, that's absurd. He's using logic to imply that because he took a fair amount of doping products in his career - drugs not naturally designed for healthy 25 year old athletes in the prime of their life, but the elderly, sick and infirm - it greatly increased his risk of getting cancer, which is what happened.

NFL great Lyle Alzado used the same logic, even though his doctors, and 3rd party physicians stated that there was no proof that all the steroids, HGH and other drugs Lyle took was the cause. There were a few however that deduced the same as Fignon is using about himself. While no direct link, doing that to your system way increases the risk, and may be the culprit, even if there is no direct scientific test showing it.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
At least the simple Placebo Stuff they took back then (quote Peter Winnen here) didn´t cause his cancer. His docs laughed about it. Since its lung cancer, its more likley he got it from 19.000 km/Year racing behind TV-Motorcyclists puffing their fumes into the riders faces. I am not joking, i mean it serious.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
i do hope he beats it. he is a worthy champion, and i always like his attitude.

He never offered any excuses or false explanations. There is some dignity in playing the pro rules of the game and accepting the final consequences. I don't have a problem with the old days for that reason. Only when the profiteers of that time criticize the current regime.
Laurent deserves his palmares' and his place in history imo.