• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fignon reveals he has advanced cancer

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fignon and Lemond are the riders that made me really fall in love with competitive cycling. I always loved simply bicycling but their battles are what made me realize what a great sport cycling is. Fignon's style with the spectacles, ponytail and reserved nature set him apart from the rest of the pro's out there. The fact that it wasn't pretentious but just him, and the fact that he was at the top of the sport made him hard not to admire and enjoy watching him at his craft. How many cyclists did we see in the years during Fignon's career, that emulated him with the spectacles and ponytail? I know I myself would wear my glasses proudly instead of sunglasses on occasion, all with Fignon in mind. After viewing the minimal, by today's standards, but still appreciated Tour footage, my friends and I would go on these epic rides with all of us emulating our heroes. More often than not, mine were Fignon, Delgado, Lemond and Theunisse in that order.

My prayers are with him and his family.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
C'mon - a champion has apparently just been diagnosed with advanced cancer. Speed and cortisone will not cause cancer. Much more common culprits include diet, alcohol and smoke (first or second-hand). Doping is a big issue, but not every thread has to degenerate into a discussion on doping. I think this particular thread should be about sympathy and respect for a great champion.

Hear, hear! Well said.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Fignon is a great champion and a great man I agree with so many of you he and lemond started my love affair with cycling. I hope he pulls through this and recovers to full health, Best wishes to all his love ones. The fact that doping talk has some how made it's way into this is despicable.

franciep10 said:
I agree with so many of you he and lemond started my love affair with cycling.

I have to agree with this. That time trial in Paris is my first memory of cycling.

Unfortunately he is only one of those who I know who is suffering badly from cancer. I wish all of them all the best, and for those for whom there is little or no more hope, I wish them great strength.

Susan

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps Fignon should take some of ARmstrongs magic potion that cured his cancer and come back and win a few tour de frances.

Long live Fignon, made cycling really interesting.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Awesome video!

I really appreciated Fignon and his attacking but graceful style on the bike. He was an "enemy" back then as I rooted for LeMond. You couldn't help but respect the man.

Good luck with your battle Mr. Fignon, may you come out victorious.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the wishing of wellness and historical aspect of Fignon's career, but somehow am confused at the neglect of his admission of doping. Fignon has open up a padora's box to the history of doping its timing is slapping the UCI in the face and they still are holding back on doing much about it (doping in general).

Very sad. Larry was a great champion with great style, and a great foil to Greg in his comeback.

Fignon was also well educated. He had very high math scores in school, and was planning on being a veterinarian, but was so gifted physically on the bike, he went on to have the career we know him having. But his nickname fit both his past, and his look: Le Professeur.

A quiet little story is that after Greg was shot and in the hospital recovering, the only person from the peloton to directly contact him to wish him well was Fignon. He was very tough and focused, almost acerbic on the bike, but quite friendly off it.

I remember hearing the live feed from I think the 2004 Tour, and during the pre-race run through Phil Liggett did the sound check with Fignon, who spoke perfect English, and was very jovial. Great to hear him like that, and it put a real smile on my face.

Let's hope he pulls through this and has a full recovery.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
yetanothergreenworld said:
Yeah, and apparently after they both retired they periodically got together to play golf! Alas, no footage of those games seems to exist; but here they are together on a French sports show about a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuA_...513B1FB8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=25

Another great video, thanks again. Although I cannot understand a word of it, I think the body language speaks volumes. They seem to have a respect for each other and a humbleness that may come easier after years removed from their sporting confrontations. Watch LeMonds face as they view the winning TT, he is a gracious winner, almost looks embarassed. Where is the sporting civility these days? (probably showing my age here:eek:) A gracious winner (and loser for that matter) are so much easier to root for.

slowoldman said:
A gracious winner (and loser for that matter) are so much easier to root for.

In that interview they both show their humility. Lemond says, sure I won, but eight seconds is nothing, so in a sense we both won; Fignon says, that's very kind of you, but I lost fair and square, and besides, the way it turned out was better for the race because it made for a better story.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Pancreatic cancer is a terrible disease with a high mortality rate. I wish Laurent Fignon well in his battle against the cancer and am hopeful that his quality of life remains at a tolerable level.

What I find telling in all of this are the revelations that Fignon made in how he believes that his cancer could possibly be linked to his use of performance-enhancing drugs. Fignon states "In those days everyone was doing it….." "No fear' as Fignon faces toughest test", Cyclingnews, June 19, 2009. These statements directly contradict what Greg LeMond had to say about the innocence of cycling in the days that he was battling Fignon for position on the podium. "LeMond laments cycling's loss of innocence", Cyclingnews, June 10, 2009.

While I am hopeful that Fignon defies the odds and makes a recovery from his disease, I am also hopeful that LeMond can fight whatever demons he has that cause him anger to the point that he apparently lies about what occurred in the peloton when he and Fignon were opponents. Fignon's revelations further call LeMond's credibility into question and further make me wonder what Greg's overall motivation is in lambasting the riders of today.

RB-1 Rider said:
Pancreatic cancer is a terrible disease with a high mortality rate. I wish Laurent Fignon well in his battle against the cancer and am hopeful that his quality of life remains at a tolerable level.

What I find telling in all of this are the revelations that Fignon made in how he believes that his cancer could possibly be linked to his use of performance-enhancing drugs. Fignon states "In those days everyone was doing it….." "No fear' as Fignon faces toughest test", Cyclingnews, June 19, 2009. These statements directly contradict what Greg LeMond had to say about the innocence of cycling in the days that he was battling Fignon for position on the podium. "LeMond laments cycling's loss of innocence", Cyclingnews, June 10, 2009.

While I am hopeful that Fignon defies the odds and makes a recovery from his disease, I am also hopeful that LeMond can fight whatever demons he has that cause him anger to the point that he apparently lies about what occurred in the peloton when he and Fignon were opponents. Fignon's revelations further call LeMond's credibility into question and further make me wonder what Greg's overall motivation is in lambasting the riders of today.

First, Fignon says that the drugs he took likely had nothing to do with his cancer and his doctors concur.

Second, it does not contradict anything Lemond has said because the types of drugs and their effectiveness changed in the early 90s.

Third, you are a giant douche to use a thread about Fignon's cancer to hate on Lemond, especially when there are other theads you could use to do so.

BroDeal said:
First, Fignon says that the drugs he took likely had nothing to do with his cancer and his doctors concur.

Second, it does not contradict anything Lemond has said because the types of drugs and their effectiveness changed in the early 90s.

Third, you are a giant douche to use a thread about Fignon's cancer to hate on Lemond, especially when there are other theads you could use to do so.
I have noticed during this build up time for the Tour de France more new members coming into the Forum. Is it just Lance fanatics that show more interest for the Tour, actual riders, or just plain sports fans that have little knowledge of cycling??? I noticed the same in other threads too.
And I apologize before hand for using this Fignon thread for this comment.
Get well Fignon.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

You're a douche for calling me a douche - get a life, pal.

My intent was not to downplay Fignon's disease while calling LeMond's credibility into question although that is how you interpreted what I wrote. Fignon has a terrible disease - one of the worst types of cancer with the highest mortality rate.

Thanks for the nice welcome, BTW. I register today, make my first post, and already have some loser criticizing me. I don't think I will revisit. Again, get a life...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I had cancer. 3 month checkup next monday for blood/marker test
fignon has cancer. sucks
grab the dice and let them fall. I believe in lady luck.
let's hope she is drawn towards Laurent

bianchigirl said:
The chemo wasn't really doing anything the last I heard but he has vowed to fight on anyway

The chemo he did last July was useless but he's a lot better today. But it's still a long way to go.

He also said he forbade the doctors to tell him the disease would be fatal. If they know it they should keep it for themselves.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
The chemo he did last July was useless but he's a lot better today. But it's still a long way to go.

He also said he forbade the doctors to tell him the disease would be fatal. If they know it they should keep it for themselves.

I can relate to the last part. My father has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and has lived with it for 16 years longer than the 6 months he was originally given. Since then, all he wants to know is what he needs to do treatment wise, when he has to show up, what they are going to do, and when he has to have blood tests. It's tough on my mother and I, but who can argue with somebody who's run the 3 fastest marathons of his life during treatment.

I wish Fignon well, he was one of the last of the era of the true patrons of the peloton, and I think he has the true fighting spirit he needs to get him through this.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Good News about the health of Laurent Fignon. Below the link to the article in Cyclingnews.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/good-news-for-fignon-in-cancer-fight

I hope he makes it. He sounds very positive and that's very good.

"I'm not restored, but I'm on the right track. There are good days and there are very bad ones, but I decided that I will not die of this."

My heart sinks in the double meaning of that statement.

TRENDING THREADS