• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fignon reveals he has advanced cancer

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pulling a CN and re-iterating a Marca story:

Fignon reveals he has an advanced cancer

1244746715_extras_portadilla_0.jpg

The Tour de France winner in 1983 and 1984, Laurent Fignon, has revealed in a TV program that he suffers from an "advanced cancer", but that it is not related to using drugs.

"They have diagnosed me with a cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, and its not clear in where exactly. Its bad news", confessed the 48 year old ex -rider.

Fignon's cancer has extended an also sufers from pancreatic issues. The Frenchman states he does not know what will happen, but is optomistic that he will win this battle with cancer.

The doctors that are treating him have revealed that the illness does not have anything to do with cortisone or amphetamines that the rider has confessed he used during his career.

Original Link : http://www.marca.com/2009/06/11/ciclismo/1244746715.html
------

Hey does that mean I get a pay check from CN? :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Quoted Marca Story said:
The doctors that are treating him have revealed that the illness does not have anything to do with cortisone or amphetamines that the rider has confessed he used during his career.

When did Fignon confess to using cortisone and amphetamines?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I remember a famous instance back in the day when he was repeatedly pushed on the subject of if he'd taken performance enhancing drugs.

His prophetic response was:

"I did what I had to do. If I die before I'm 50 that's my problem"

He's 48

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
C'mon - a champion has apparently just been diagnosed with advanced cancer. Speed and cortisone will not cause cancer. Much more common culprits include diet, alcohol and smoke (first or second-hand). Doping is a big issue, but not every thread has to degenerate into a discussion on doping. I think this particular thread should be about sympathy and respect for a great champion.

elapid said:
C'mon - a champion has apparently just been diagnosed with advanced cancer. Speed and cortisone will not cause cancer. Much more common culprits include diet, alcohol and smoke (first or second-hand). Doping is a big issue, but not every thread has to degenerate into a discussion on doping. I think this particular thread should be about sympathy and respect for a great champion.
Cancer is one of the things that I fear the most. I feel Fignon's pain. I hope he recovers.

elapid said:

apparently it does on here.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

I hear ya, but the story seems to include doping too many times not to have it discussed. Hopefully Fignon will get some good treatment and get through it.

But! Everything has to do with cancer, not only diet, alcohol and smoke, but environmental factors and yes medicine (legal or not) also plays a very important factor in cancer. I'm not saying they are solid known causers but they definitely factor in. Heck just being born and living on earth you are exposed to cancer causing vectors.

A

Anonymous

I still remember his 1992 Stage 11 solo win as one of the best rides I ever saw. It was his last TdF stage victory, and he just went out and took it. I sincerely hope he recovers.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Even though not all of us raced bikes we are all part of the race, the human race. that said I sincerely hope he recovers quickly and wish him all of the best life can offer. He is a compatriot of all of us and needs support to make it through a tough time in his life.
Yes there are most likely contributing factors to cancer from just being alive in this world. But being there for someone is the most important part of life. Our life span is just a blink of an eye in the world's/universe's history.
Get well LF!!!

May 30, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I remember a famous instance back in the day when he was repeatedly pushed on the subject of if he'd taken performance enhancing drugs.

His prophetic response was:

"I did what I had to do. If I die before I'm 50 that's my problem"

He's 48

Bad taste, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Sad news indeed. A true French cycling legend.

I understand the general sentiment of this thread also, cancer is a terrible terrible thing that has touched almost every family (including mine), but if any sort of drug taking has a correlation to cancer then it needs to be investigated and promoted.

elapid said:

Agreed! Humans are indeed strange. I recall a night during one of my graduate programs someone completely trashed Alan Ginsburg (the poet) for his "very strange and scandalous proclivities", and Alan was then fives years dead. I asked "WTF, the man is dead, isn't it time to shut up and pay a little respect?" Of course, the *****y little snarky ones just could not pass up the opportunity and the trashing continued, as it will here. Oh well, good health, Mr. Fignon

Cancer

Laurent,

Thank You for the memories. For being part of Our lives. As You have allowed Us to hold You dear to Our hearts, now allow Us to hold You forever where ever and when ever You go.

Hold Our hand. Hold My hand. We will be with You.

In pain, find comfort through Us.

With eternal love.

Know where You are going.

The Green Collar Worker

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Laurent
I hope your fighting spirit as a rider, carries you through this challenge.

You are a champion in the eyes of many.

Good Luck

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I used to hate Fignon when he first started winning. Then grew to respect him. The '89 worlds were awesome. Hope he makes a recovery, but it sounds bad.

BroDeal said:
Oh, sh!t. This is horrible news. I loved that guy. He was such a natural.

Agreed 100% He's one of the reasons I fell in love with the sport. Back in the 80's. For anyone that has come into the sport after that period, during the Armstrong eras for example, can't know what times they were! Romantic, mythic! And Fignon, with his long blond hair and professorial, fruedian, spectacles and snoby french demeaneur was pure class on a bike when he was on his game. Like when he won Milano San Remo in 89. His refusal to wear an aero helmet in the last time trial of the 89 Tour, for aesthetic reasons, probably cost him the 8 seconds that cost him the race. But that was Laurent. He road with his heart, not with his reason. But that's precisely why looking back on his career, he was just cooool to watch. And we don't get riders like that anymore, just automatons without fantasy. Whereas Fignon was pure fantacy and romance and style on two wheels. And we now, with hindsight, loved him for it exceedingly.

You said it man. Terrible, rotten news. Because for those who had the priviledge to have watched Fignon race then, today a part of that era is suffering with him.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
shawnrohrbach said:
Agreed! Humans are indeed strange. I recall a night during one of my graduate programs someone completely trashed Alan Ginsburg (the poet) for his "very strange and scandalous proclivities", and Alan was then fives years dead. I asked "WTF, the man is dead, isn't it time to shut up and pay a little respect?" Of course, the *****y little snarky ones just could not pass up the opportunity and the trashing continued, as it will here. Oh well, good health, Mr. Fignon

Probably shouldn't watch this

Anyway sad news to Fignon, hope he pulls through OK.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
rhubroma said:
Agreed 100% He's one of the reasons I fell in love with the sport.

Ditto for me. He was my first (and probably last) cycling hero. I have vivid memories of watching Channel 4's Tour highlights, on my hands and knees banging the floor, screaming Fignon on during that fateful TT in 1989. People say he lost the Tour during that TT but if he hadn't climbed as well as he had in the run up then that epic contest wouldn't have been. As a rider he had a mix of arrogance, intelligence, passion and grinta (what's the French equivalent?) that I haven't seen since and might never again.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I can't really add to the wonderful comments that have already been made other than to wish him and his family all the best as they struggle through this time. I remember LF mostly from his first tour victory. I was in my early teens and this young Frenchman blew me away!! He will ALWAYS be one of my favorite riders of any era and I hope from the bottom of my heart that he makes it through his cancer!!!

TRENDING THREADS