• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Filippo Ganna Discussion Thread

2986432-61284368-2560-1440.jpg

I've searched but I didn't find any thread for the rider.

I'm watching the last Radiocorsa and there is an interesting interview of him, he said that he likes very much the track and he'll continue beyond Tokyo and seems very ambitious, he said that he want the individual pursuit world record and the hour record (he said "c'è un record dell'ora da battere").
On the road his big focus will be Roubaix, this year he would go for experience, but he said that he thinks he could do well also in week long stage races.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
In the studio there was Scartezzini (one of his team pursuit team mates), after the interview they asked to him what he thinks about his chances in week long stage races and he said that low gradients of Alto Colorado are perfect for a power rider like Ganna so we need to see what he is able to do on harder climbs to really know if he can be a contender for week long stage races.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Maybe he can climb as well as Laengen, but I kinda see that as the upper limit for him, he's a big guy.
I'm looking forward to see him on the cobbles, I'm a big Ganna fan, just ask Valv.Piti. :D

There is an interview with him on the Gazzetta after his third world title in individual pursuit.

Sky let total freedom to him for track (like they did with Viviani) and he didn't even planned a single race on the road yet but he'd like to ride Roubaix (Roubaix is his favourite race).

Interesting that he said that he haven't done a specific preparation but in training he was riding on world record times on 3 kms (in the race he fell 0''205 short) and he's 2 kgs heavier than last year.

They asked to him about TT world championship and he said that he has never trained for long time trials so it's not a near target but one for the future (i guess after Tokyo, until then his focus will be on the track).

Regarding going to Sky he said they approached him already in 2014 but he said was too early and wasn't ready at the moment, with UAE he had a soft approach to professional cycling and was better for him because he gained experience without pressure whereas now he's ready for Sky.

Another pursuiter that becomes a Grand Tour winner for SKY/INEOS? That would be beautiful for Filippo, INEOS and all their Italian partners: Pinarello, KASK, Castelli and fi'zi:k!

EDIT:
The pursuit is dead! Long live the pursuit!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 42x16ss
I think already this year he was the strongest in the sub 10 kms distance, the interesting thing will be to see how strong he could become in medium/long ITTs when, after Tokyo, he'll start to train for them and how he'll go in the rumored hour record attempt.

He won one WT time trial and was beaten by a teenager at the Worlds (sorry, I know it's not a normal teenager but thought it would lend power to my argument), so I don't really see how you come to that conclusion.

A battle against a peak Dennis on a non-Merida bike should be interesting.

The World Championships TT course suits him very well. I think it would be a suitable goal to have after the Olympic team pursuit.
I do wonder if he will finally get a chance of riding a Grand Tour...
In an Interview with La Gazzetta he has said that he wants to ride his first gt to work on his endurance. He'd prefer the Giro, otherwise it's gonna be the Vuelta.

He won one WT time trial and was beaten by a teenager at the Worlds (sorry, I know it's not a normal teenager but thought it would lend power to my argument), so I don't really see how you come to that conclusion.

A battle against a peak Dennis on a non-Merida bike should be interesting.
The Worlds ITT was 54 kms long, how can you evaluate his level in sub 10 kms distance looking at that? In sub 10 kms efforts he has won everything both on road and track except in San Benedetto at the Tirreno after he was ill during the race.

Reactions: SafeBet
Gonna post this here (someone else posted it elsewhere but i can't remember where, so i had to try and find it on twitter again):

View: https://twitter.com/BasTietema/status/1269273682477711364
Today he showed us those watts, monster performance!
Honestly, who's gonna beat him in the flat WC ITT that is just under 32km long? Remco isn't there, Wout hasn't trained on his TT bike this season and he just obliterated Campenaerts and Dennis in a short ITT. Maybe Küng, but he looks like the man to beat on this kind of route.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure longer than the Tirreno ITT.
If I'm not mistaken a few months back Ganna was talking to Eurosport Italia about his worst efforts are between 30 and 50 minutes.
Said he has improved but he can still suffer in those.
It was 30 to 40min, as far as I can remember, he prefers shorter and longer ones.
His biggest weakness is the heat, he as a well documented history of undererforming when it's really hot.

TRENDING THREADS