• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First Bike

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi
I would like to get into road cycling and need some suggestions on a bike :).

After seing my father ride with sean yates for quite a while, watching le tour every year since i was born and this year managing to do some climbing around the mt.noir area (black mountains region of France).

I now have the bug and wish to get into cycling.

So here is my criteria:

im 16.5-17 stone in weight so i dont come lightly, my dads bike has managed to support me ok so far, but would this be something to watch out for, obviously the tyres are pretty thin (maybe a uprated tyre for fat people? :D) Im hoping the weight will drop off pretty quickly, i am reasonably fit but poses a large build due to weights/playing rugby for quite some time.

also my budget will be <£500

Thanks in advance

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
You're certainly not ridiculously heavy. About all I would suggest would be a decent set of wheels and keep your tyres up to pressure.

When I say decent set of wheels I mean: Don't go for a very low spoke count which wouldn't be as durable as ones with higher count.

When I built my road bike and started riding it regularly I was somewhere in the 17st range, maybe a little less. I use 28 spoke wheels and have had no problems with them. I did have pinch flat issues when I didn't have enough pressure in the tyres though (not really a weight issue, but the extra weight makes the flats more likely).

Cheers

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
New Bike

I work in a shop in Denver, Colorado. I help people pick new equipment every day. Some things to consider are these:

Be certain that the frame fits you well. A good local shop will help you tith this.

There is no need to buy top-end racing gear, but entry level equipment can be less reliable and lead to frustration. I recommend Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival equipment for new bike owners who intend to ride every week.

Carbon fiber frames are much more comfortable than aluminum. Steel is also a good material for a first bike. Avoid aluminum like the plague, if possible.

32 spoke wheels laced three-cross are incredibly strong. I don't know what a stone is, but I weigh 210 lbs. Shimano Ultegra wheels are very strong as well and I recommend them to heavier riders.

The most important part of the bike for a beginner is the saddle. The most important piece of clothing are the shorts. Don't go cheap on riding shorts! If you are uncomfortable there, you will be miserable.

Any good bike shop will have a salesman who will help you make good decisions. If the rep seems to be in a hurry or is just trying to make a quick sale without listening to all of your questions, ask to have a manager help you. Picking the right equipment and being properly fit will help you get the most out of your experiences on the bike. Making a rush decision often leads to regret.

Test ride several bikes, then wait a couple of days and test ride the two you liked best. Wait another couple of days then go and make your purchase. Happy Riding!

TRENDING THREADS